What's new

Saudi Prince joins opposition after his defection from royal family

i don't understand why you say that. al fahran it is one brother branch (brother of Muhammad)
why they are not family then?
what is considered to be royal family? only the Muhammad branch?

Yes, the Mohmmad's is the branch of the Royals who fought with the Saudi people during the civil war, they others are not considered to be Royals really.

Look one of my good childhood friends is a great-grandson of King Abdul-Aziz ibn Saud who is currently enrolled at Sandhurst in London. My family and his family know each other and they are good and normal people. Sure, his family is not exactly poor but neither do they live lavishly nor does the majority of the Al-Saud family. Besides the clan/tribe is really big and most of it are remote members who have no political influence or any wealth of note. Besides all that propaganda about an insanely wealthy lifestyle while most ordinary Saudi Arabians are dying of hunger is also complete and utter nonsense. Reforms are already taking place and if the Al-Saud family for whatever reason make many faults then they will loss their power like all other rulers have done in the past.

In the past my family (Hashemites) had a little beef with the Al-Saud but today there is nothing but respect for both parties. I don't have many bad words to say honestly. Whatever happens then rulers come and go but not our land, people, religion, history, culture etc.

Besides all of us are on welfare since the state is paying for most and there is for example no taxes. How many countries that are so big (13 largest country in the world) and with a population well over 30 million and quickly growing can say that?

We are a very successful country. Fastest growing economy in the region by far, in the G-20 major economies, very high GDP and income, beautiful and ancient land and hundreds of new impressive projects.

The future is great whoever will rule.

Besides I don't understand why all this is a business of non-Muslims and non-Arabs and why so many are obsessed about KSA when most don't really know a lot about the country.

Lastly the only influential royals are the descendants of Abdul-Aziz ibn Saud and not really other branches.

what's historic role of Royal Jordanian family ?

i don't understand why you say that. al fahran it is one brother branch (brother of Muhammad)
why they are not family then?
what is considered to be royal family? only the Muhammad branch?
Watch "Lawrence of Arabia".....

The Jordanian Royal family are Hashemites whose ancestors ruled Hejaz as Sharifs of Makkah and Madinah for nearly 1000 years. Abdullah II of Jordan is the great-great-grandson of Sharif Hussein ibn Ali who was the Sharif of Makkah, King of Hejaz, Sultan of all Arabs and the last Caliph. His grandfather was my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather. Many of his, mine and other family members were born in Istanbul and elsewhere and ruled areas outside of Hejaz. For example for a short period as Kings of Syria, then Kings of Iraq etc. The last ruling branch is the Jordanian one. Now many live in the West - for example London. Anyway more details are not important and there are quite many of us. Not only Hashemites in Hejaz but also other important families such as descendants of various Caliphs, Sahabah etc.

More distant branches ruled as Imams of Northern Yemen and elsewhere in the Arab world.

Besides for example the Al ash-Sheikh family is also very numerous as the Al-Saud family but they are part of the Banu Tamim which is among the largest Arab tribes in the world having members from Morocco to Yemen. There are a lot of different clans, branches etc. so it is hopeless to make generalizations. Besides also many do not go under the Al-Tamimi surname but have adopted other surnames. The Arabic name system is quite complex.

Anyway the only royals of real power be it in terms of wealth or politics are the descendants of Abdul-Aziz ibn Saud.

The Jordanian Royal family are Hashemites whose ancestors ruled Hejaz as Sharifs of Makkah and Madinah for nearly 1000 years. Abdullah II of Jordan is the great-great-grandson of Sharif Hussein ibn Ali who was the Sharif of Makkah, King of Hejaz, Sultan of all Arabs and the last Caliph. His grandfather was my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather. Many of his, mine and other family members were born in Istanbul and elsewhere and ruled areas outside of Hejaz. For example for a short period as Kings of Syria, then Kings of Iraq etc. The last ruling branch is the Jordanian one. Now many live in the West - for example London. Anyway more details are not important and there are quite many of us. Not only Hashemites in Hejaz but also other important families such as descendants of various Caliphs, Sahabah etc.

More distant branches ruled as Imams of Northern Yemen and elsewhere in the Arab world.

Besides for example the Al ash-Sheikh is also very numerous as the Al-Saud family but they are part of the Banu Tamim which is among the largest Arab clans in the world stretching from Morocco to Yemen. There are a lot of different clans, branches etc. so it is hopeless to make generalization. Besides also many do not go under the Al-Tamimi surname but have adopted others it. The Arabic naming system is quite complex.
Number of Hejazi has Hashmi blood ? . What's relation or role of Jordanian Royals and Turkish Caliph ? .
(may be my question seems stupid to you , but need to know some history)

Watch "Lawrence of Arabia".....
of course i watched it
too much pro English this movie since the Lawrence of the movie is different from what i was reading
but beautiful movie , excellent actors : Anthony Quinn is excellent as well in the movie "the message"

of course i watched it
too much pro English this movie since the Lawrence of the movie is different from what i was reading
but beautiful movie , excellent actors : Anthony Quinn is excellent as well in the movie "the message"
Do you think director was fair with the ground reality ?. or did excellent job to show the British governance of arab issue.

Number of Hejazi has Hashmi blood ? . What's relation or role of Jordanian Royals and Turkish Caliph ? .
(may be my question seems stupid to you , but need to know some history)

A lot. I don't think there is any data about percentages though, LOL. But the Quraysh tribe is arguably among the biggest tribes in Hijaz. For example people who go by the surname of Al-Quraishi. Besides all those historical families of early Islam are native to Hijaz be it the Banu Hashim, the various families of the Caliphs, the Sahabah etc.

The House of Osman I don't know a lot about other than that they don't really have any influence in Turkey anymore and many of them have married Westerners. Ask some Turkish members they would probably know more.

Today most of such families are spread across the world especially if they are not rulers anymore in their native countries. I mean this is just like any other family. I mean you probably have family members across the world too.

Another question ..I never travel to KSA , but talking to many people they complaint . People of Madina are very nice and helpful , but Mecca people are very dry and rude ... ? .....Its general opinion among foreigners . Its education or weather or something else ?

Do you think director was fair with the ground reality ?. or did excellent job to show the British governance of arab issue.
no i mean the director showed a nice image of Lawrence himself
but from what i read about Lawrence it gives a far less nice picture
jsut about Lawrence ;) what did you think about it?

Another question ..I never travel to KSA , but talking to many people they complaint . People of Madina are very nice and helpful , but Mecca people are very dry and rude ... ? .....Its general opinion among foreigners . Its education or weather or something else ?

Yes, because you have asked all foreigners who have been to Makkah and Madinah and all the claims of various people are reliable and all people reach the same consensus because we all think alike, LOL.

Hijazis are known as warm, welcoming, proud, cultured and educated people with a great ancient history. The most respected region in the Muslim world. All foreigners I know who have travelled to Hijaz had only warm things to say whenever they encountered locals.

Besides I suggest you visit yourself before you make conclusions and most foreigners don't really get to know the local villages, mountain villages, small fishing villages, villages in the interior, people of the old neighborhoods but live in hotels etc. among countrymen etc.

Besides Makkah has for a long time (many centuries) been a cosmopolitan city and most foreigners cannot tell local Hejazis apart from non-local Arabs etc. So I am always cautious about such claims and especially when it comes to KSA. Besides many Saudis from other parts of KSA live in Makkah today just like many non-Nadjis live in Riyadh and elsewhere....

Yes, because you have asked all foreigners who have been to Makkah and Madinah and all the claims of various people are reliable and all people reach the same consensus because we all think alike, LOL.

Hijazis are known as warm, welcoming, proud, cultured and educated people with a great ancient history. The most respected region in the Muslim world. All foreigners I know who have travelled to Hijaz had only warm things to say whenever they encountered locals.

Besides I suggest you visit yourself before you make conclusions and most foreigners don't really get to know the local villages, mountain villages, small fishing villages, villages in the interior, people of the old neighborhoods but live in hotels etc. among countrymen etc.

Besides Makkah has for a long time (many centuries) been a cosmopolitan city and most foreigners cannot tell local Hejazis apart from non-local Arabs etc. So I am always cautious about such claims and especially when it comes to KSA. Besides many Saudis from other parts of KSA live in Makkah today just like many non-Nadjis live in Riyadh and elsewhere....
So , in other wors Mecca is New York of KSA..LOLzzz... as far location of both holy cities . Mecca is more surrounded with tribal villages or Madina ?

no i mean the director showed a nice image of Lawrence himself
but from what i read about Lawrence it gives a far less nice picture
jsut about Lawrence ;) what did you think about it?
lolzz...yeah I know what you are saying . I think he was founder of " Don't ask ,Don't tell" policy ...

Oil revenues are under control by the finance ministry which reports to the Royal cabinet. Members of the Royal Family allowance varies from $2000 to $10000 per month.

Grifters of 'Al Saud, Inc.': How Saudi royals get their wealth

Submitted by GMason on Sat, 09/10/2011 - 02:07

"Revenues from 'one million barrels of oil per day' go entirely to 'five or six princes.'"
-- Cable from the U.S. Embassy in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

A secret, 1996 cable -- sent from the U.S. Embassy in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and released by Wikileaks -- offers a detailed account of the mechanisms of wealth distribution and waste within Saudi Arabia's royal family. Despite the considerable riches doled out to "thousands" of Saudi princes and princesses, the cable observes that Saudi royals "seem more adept at squandering than accumulating wealth." (The embassy notes that the country has more commoner billionaires than royal billionaires.) As reported in the cable, corruption also abounds largely unchecked.

Oil revenue is said primarily to enrich the Al Saud. The embassy explains that Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Finance distributes a portion of the country's oil proceeds to each Saudi royal family member in the form of monthly stipends. At the time the secret cable was issued, every royal reportedly received a monthly allowance from birth, on a sliding pay scale of US$ 800 (for distant royals) to US$ 270,000 (for sons and daughters of King Abd Al-Aziz). The embassy calculated these stipends to total more than US$ 2 billion of the Saudi government's US$ 40 billion annual budget. For this and other reasons, the embassy concludes that "getting a grip on royal family excesses is at the top" of priorities for Saudi Arabia.

In addition to the state-budgeted stipend, the cable reports, a royal may obtain a bonus of as much as US$ 3 million, as reward for getting married or building a palace. The existing stipend-and-bonus system provides Saudi royals with a significant incentive to procreate, particularly since stipend distributions begin at birth. It was stated that the central life aspiration of one Saudi prince was to have more children, so as to increase his monthly allowance.

According to the cable, some members of the Al Saud resort to "royal rakeoffs" in order to supplement their already-substantial income. Such schemes may include confiscating land from commoners and reselling it to the government for a substantial profit; borrowing from the banks and defaulting on these loans; and acting as "sponsors" to "sometimes hundreds" of expatriate workers who are permitted to work locally as long as they pay monthly fees to the royals (this latter arrangement reportedly earns a single royal sponsor an average of US$ 10,000 per month from 100 ex-pats).

Al Saud land and asset grabs are said to have caused resentment among the populace. In one instance, Defense Minister Prince Sultan bin Abd Al-Aziz allegedly ordered Mecca officials to transfer to him a plot of land that had belonged to one family for centuries. Similarly, royals are said to routinely seize the assets of profitable businesses -- one reason, the cable explains, why some successful Saudis invest their money outside the country.

The embassy reports, however, that the most pervasive form of royal corruption consists of skimming from billions in off-budget spending that is controlled by Sultan and a few other princes. "In a recent meeting with the Ambassador," the cable states, "Saudi billionaire Prince Al-Walid bin Talal, alluding to these off-budget programs, lamented the travesty that revenues from "one million barrels of oil per day" go entirely to "five or six princes." According to the cable, many in the kingdom feel that royal greed "has gone beyond the bounds of reason."

But the embassy strikes a pessimistic tone in contemplating a solution to the situation, concluding:

"As long as the royal family views this country as 'Al Saud Inc.,' ever increasing numbers of princes and princesses will see it as their birthright to receive lavish dividend payments, and dip into the till from time to time, by sheer virtue of company ownership."

2011-09-09 Grifters of 'Al Saud, Inc.': How Saudi royals get their wealth | WL Central

Back
Top Bottom