What's new

Saudi Made Al-Shibl 1 vs RPG

We're not talking about acid, but molten copper designed to penetrate layers of RHA steel. There's no way glass can withstand direct hit from RPG shooting out molten copper capable of penetrating 19 inches of steel armor plating.

I really don't know from where people here get their expertise from.

Perhaps this can provide some clarity to the debate:

RPG-7 versus bullet-proof glass
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

For those that didn't watch the video: it penetrated the glass.

RPG hit ?? BS!

Check out videos of NATO vehicles getting hit with RPGs in A'stan!

Such minimum damage to the surrounding metal, looks more like a high cal. shot rather than an rpg.

Perhaps this can provide some clarity to the debate:

RPG-7 versus bullet-proof glass

For those that didn't watch the video: it penetrated the glass.
It looked like it penetrated the glass because part of the mannequin got sheared off after the impact also there was a massive hole at the end of the video.

It looked like it penetrated the glass because part of the mannequin got sheared off after the impact also there was a massive hole at the end of the video.

Yup, thus proving your post. Glass like the OP video isn't an impediment to a copper EFP.

Also, and I forgot this the first time:partay: - here's a video of a 12.7mm versus bullet-proof glass:

However, the "glass" in the OP could be transparent aluminum, in which case this will happen:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Yup, thus proving your post. Glass like the OP video isn't an impediment to a copper EFP.

Also, and I forgot this the first time:partay: - here's a video of a 12.7mm versus bullet-proof glass:

However, the "glass" in the OP could be transparent aluminum, in which case this will happen:

Wow that's interesting stuff. Thanks a lot for sharing these videos. Sure clarifies the entire thing.

How would transparent aluminum react to a direct hit from an RPG-7? Would it form that cone shape like in the OP video?? Or would the RPG penetrate it with ease considering that it's alimunum??

How would transparent aluminum react to a direct hit from an RPG-7? Would it form that cone shape like in the OP video?? Or would the RPG penetrate it with ease considering that it's alimunum??

I'll give you some science instead of a video, since I can't find one.

Aluminium Oxynitride - Transparent Aluminium:

Properties

Mechanical

• Young modulus 334 GPa
    • Shear modulus 135 GPa
    • Poisson ratio 0.24
    • Knoop hardness 1800 kg/mm2 (0.2 kg load)
    • Fracture toughness 2.0 MPa·m1/2
    • Flexural strength 0.38–0.7 GPa
    • Compressive strength 2.68 GPa
Thermal and optical

• Specific heat 0.781 J/(g·°C)
    • Thermal conductivity 12.3 W/(m·°C)
    • Thermal expansion coefficient ~4.7×10−6/°C
    • Transparency range 200–5000 nm
In basic terms you're looking at blast and penetration resistance:

1.6" thick ALON armor is capable of stopping .50 BMG armor piercing rounds, which can penetrate 3.7" of traditional glass laminate.

However, the penetration values of the RPG-7 go far beyond the tolerances of ALON :

The antitank grenades for RPG-7 also came a long way, from original PG-7V grenade, with penetration of about 260mm/10inches of RHA, and up to 500mm/20inches of RHAor 1.5 meters/5ft of brick wall with single-warhead PG-7VL grenade, developed in 1977. By the late 1980s, a tandem-type PG-7VR grenade has been introduced. This grenade has two warheads and is intended against the most modern tanks, fitted with ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor). Front warhead sets off the ERA, and second warhead then penetrates more than 600mm/24in of armor.

Modern Firearms - RPG-7

24 inches of RHA penetration versus 1.6 inches to stop a .50 BMG. The RPG-7 is going to win.

The biggest problem lies in the EFP of the RPG-7 - EFPs were developed specifically to counter heavy armor, such as on an M1A2SEP:

Target.png

Ballistics R&D | DE Technologies, Inc.

eEw4oRq.jpg

RPG-7 against HMMWV in Iraq:

d2.jpg

RPG Effectiveness

humvee.JPG

RPG-7 1: HMMWV 0

Transparent aluminium will stop heavy machine-gun rounds, but not EFPs.

Am glad the soldiers are safe. It's hard to believe it was an RPG. But it wasn't a bullet either. Mystery will remain unsolved.

We're not talking about acid, but molten copper designed to penetrate layers of RHA steel. There's no way glass can withstand direct hit from RPG shooting out molten copper capable of penetrating 19 inches of steel armor plating.

I really don't know from where people here get their expertise from.

I too was not talking about acid, I wanted you to concentrate on crystal structure.
but I think you lose me some where around secondary school chemistry.

Such animosity with science is not good.

I too was not talking about acid, I wanted you to concentrate on crystal structure.
but I think you lose me some where around secondary school chemistry.

Such animosity with science is not good.
I don't think i need to post anything further. @Transhumanist did a really excellent job in reenforcing my point that had that projectile that struck the bullet proof windshield been a RPG those soldiers would not have lived.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom