What's new

Saudi cleric says women who drive risk damaging their ovaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jade

Reaction score
Country
India
RIYADH: A conservative Saudi Arabian cleric has said women who drive risk damaging their ovaries and bearing children with clinical problems, countering activists who are trying to end the kingdom's male-only driving rules.

A campaign calling for women to defy the ban in a protest drive on Oct. 26 has spread rapidly online over the past week and gained support from some prominent women activists. On Sunday, the campaign's website was blocked inside the kingdom.

In an interview published on Friday on the website sabq.org, Sheikh Saleh bin Saad al-Lohaidan said women aiming to overturn the ban on driving should put “reason ahead of their hearts, emotions and passions”.

Reuters earlier wrongly identified him as Sheikh Saleh bin Mohammed al-Lohaidan, a member of the Senior Council of Scholars, one of the top religious bodies in the birthplace of Islam.

By contrast, Sheikh Saleh bin Saad al-Lohaidan, the person quoted in the sabq.org report, is a judicial adviser to an association of Gulf psychologists.

His comments reflect the extent of opposition to women driving among some conservatives in Saudi Arabia.

“If a woman drives a car, not out of pure necessity, that could have negative physiological impacts as functional and physiological medical studies show that it automatically affects the ovaries and pushes the pelvis upwards,” he told Sabq.

“That is why we find those who regularly drive have children with clinical problems of varying degrees,” he said.

He did not cite specific medical studies to support his arguments.

The ban on women driving is not backed by a specific law, but only men are granted driving licences. Women can be fined for driving without a licence but have also been detained and put on trial in the past on charges of political protest.

Sheikh Abdulatif Al al-Sheikh, the head of the morality police, told Reuters a week ago that there was no text in the documents making up sharia, or Islamic law, that barred women from driving.

King Abdullah has pushed some cautious reforms aimed at expanding women's freedoms in Saudi Arabia, including opening more employment opportunities for them, but he has not addressed the issue of driving.

Saudi cleric says women who drive risk damaging their ovaries - DAWN.COM

The cleric gives a whole ....

hC5476D76

And THIS is what the Muslims believes is good for the world...

Religions -- women are always the first to pay.

How do know that is what all Muslims believe is good for the world? You know all of them?

How do know that is what all Muslims believe is good for the world? You know all of them?
The most important thing in a religionist's mind is religious one-upmanship, as in 'How can I present a public image that I am more pious to the faith than my neighbors?' That is how religious leaders are created. And once they are in power, they will use the same mentality to impose their own version of the faith by implying that those who do not believe as these elites do, these people are not as faithful as they should be. Soon enough, you get this short of sh1t...

The most important thing in a religionist's mind is religious one-upmanship, as in 'How can I present a public image that I am more pious to the faith than my neighbors?' That is how religious leaders are created. And once they are in power, they will use the same mentality to impose their own version of the faith by implying that those who do not believe as these elites do, these people are not as faithful as they should be. Soon enough, you get this short of sh1t...

Actually I do get this sort of sh!t,You are right, What I don't get is why do you have such a negative view of Muslims just because of Moron cleric? Do you think Saudis and this cleric speak for the entire race of Muslims? Maybe women can't drive in KSA but they can drive in other Muslims countries like pakistan.

Very nice of you by generalizing based on one crazy idiotic clerics own opinion.

How about I say that all americans are morons based on personal experience with one american. Would you like that? Would you think that it would be fair? Would you think that I am generalizing?

Yep, im sure you will hence generalizing is a very unnecessary and horrible tool to use to express an opinion about something.

Both things are wrong so kindly do not generalize as no one deserves that.

Actually I do get this sort of sh!t,You are right, What I don't get is why do you have such a negative view of Muslims just because of Moron cleric? Do you think Saudis and this cleric speak for the entire race of Muslims? Maybe women can't drive in KSA but they can drive in other Muslims countries like pakistan.
Very nice of you by generalizing based on one crazy idiotic clerics own opinion.

How about I say that all americans are morons based on personal experience with one american. Would you like that? Would you think that it would be fair? Would you think that I am generalizing?

Yep, im sure you will hence generalizing is a very unnecessary and horrible tool to use to express an opinion about something.

Both things are wrong so kindly do not generalize as no one deserves that.
Guys...The Muslims have plenty of these 'moron' clerics. Not just one. Or how about this way: The Muslims have plenty of 'one crazy cleric' specializing in making many one-time boners like this recent one.

As for Americans, all of US are already lumped into 'stupid', 'lazy', 'Zionist slave', and many other labels. You Muslims have no problems with that.

all Mullahs need to packed up in suitcase and put in time machine and should be sent back to stoneage.

A conservative Saudi Arabian cleric has said women who drive risk damaging their ovaries and bearing children with clinical problems, countering activists who are trying to end the Islamic kingdom's male-only driving rules.

A campaign calling for women to defy the ban in a protest drive on 26 October has spread rapidly online over the past week and gained support from prominent women activists. On Sunday, the campaign's website was blocked in the kingdom.

In an interview published on Friday on the website sabq.org, Sheikh Saleh bin Saad al-Lohaidan, a judicial adviser to an association of Gulf psychologists, said women aiming to overturn the ban on driving should put "reason ahead of their hearts, emotions and passions".

Lohaidan's strong endorsement of the ban demonstrates how entrenched the opposition is to women driving among some conservative Saudis.

"If a woman drives a car, not out of pure necessity, that could have negative physiological impacts as functional and physiological medical studies show that it automatically affects the ovaries and pushes the pelvis upwards," he told Sabq. "That is why we find those who regularly drive have children with clinical problemsof varying degrees."

He did not cite specific medical studies to support his arguments.

The ban on women driving is not backed by a specific law, but only men are granted driving licences. Women can be fined for driving without a licence but have also been detained and put on trial in the past on charges of political protest.

Sheikh Abdulatif al-Sheikh, the head of the morality police, told Reuters last week that there was no text in the documents making up sharia law that bars women from driving.

King Abdullah has pushed some cautious reforms aimed at expanding women's freedoms in Saudi Arabia, including opening more employment opportunities for them, but he has not addressed the issue of driving.

• This story was amended on 29 September 2013. The original wrongly identified Sheikh Saleh bin Saad al-Lohaidan as Sheikh Saleh bin Mohammed al-Lohaidan, one of the 21 members of the senior council of scholars. This has been corrected

Saudi Arabian cleric says female drivers risk damaging ovaries | World news | theguardian.com

Are women really so frightening to sowdi arabians? I dont understand how this type of behavior is viewed as normal on this forum.....are all middle easterners really that archaic? In western culture these types of comments are considered basically retarded......

Are women really so frightening to sowdi arabians? I dont understand how this type of behavior is viewed as normal on this forum.....are all middle easterners really that archaic? In western culture these types of comments are considered basically retarded......

Difference between Islam and other religions is that Islam has a code for practically everything, including the most mundane and secular matters. The common man has to take decisions from religious scholars, and is not allowed his own interpretation.

This is what prompts these scholars to inflict their opinions on every conceivable topic, and I suppose it is even given some weightage by Muslims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom