tAEdtb.png

FhgdFk.png

gbjFnt.png

sBSDQs.png

iBW1P1.png

L7ZoGP.png

pQaVuo.png

mkJqED.png

Hi can anybody tell me if the Air Force is still interested in upgrading the EF's with Brimstone, are there ongoing negotiations or are all current upgrades done? Any insides of the upgrade negotiations known / reported?

Hi can anybody tell me if the Air Force is still interested in upgrading the EF's with Brimstone, are there ongoing negotiations or are all current upgrades done? Any insides of the upgrade negotiations known / reported?

The Brimstones are already part of the EF's Saudi package.

13270806361.jpg

The Saudifighter Typhoon can carry up to 24 Brimstone in an armor hunting sortie.

The Brimstones are already part of the EF's Saudi package.

Those are just pics of a presentation to the air force, but Brimstone isn't integrated to the EF yet. It was expected that Saudi Arabia would push for the integration, just as they did for Storm Shadow, but nothing happend about the earlier. That's why I'm asking if there are still negotiations going on, or if they just wait until the UK will fund the integration (planned for 2017/18)?

Those are just pics of a presentation to the air force, but Brimstone isn't integrated to the EF yet. It was expected that Saudi Arabia would push for the integration, just as they did for Storm Shadow, but nothing happend about the earlier. That's why I'm asking if there are still negotiations going on, or if they just wait until the UK will fund the integration (planned for 2017/18)?

The RSAF is carrying out independent integration and clearing of arms for the Typhoon in a more aggressive time schedule than their RAF counterparts. Unfortunately RSAF doesn't publicize what has been cleared and when.

Saudi Typhoon begun air to ground Operation

As said in the magazine, the RSAF has become its own Engineering/Release authority, instead of following in the shadow of the RAF as was the case in the past, and since these tests are not publicized it is very difficult to tell if the Brimstone is already cleared for Typhoon yet or not, and if we take into account the recent purchase of more than 1000 Brimstones in late 2013 it is highly likely that the RSAF is pushing for an earlier integration of the Brimstone than their RAF counterparts.

The RSAF is carrying out independent integration and clearing of arms for the Typhoon in a more aggressive time schedule than their RAF counterparts. Unfortunately RSAF doesn't publicize what has been cleared and when.

Independent only, because not all weapons or techs are / were cleared for Saudi Arabia like the Litenting pod, which is why the Damocles had to be integrated seperately and by the EF consortium not Saudi Arabian Air Force. The manufacturer does the integration and testing and current EF standards don't have the Brimstone integrated, which require flight and launch tests of course.

it is highly likely that the RSAF is pushing for an earlier integration of the Brimstone than their RAF counterparts

So no source available for that?

Independent only, because not all weapons or techs are / were cleared for Saudi Arabia like the Litenting pod, which is why the Damocles had to be integrated seperately and by the EF consortium not Saudi Arabian Air Force. The manufacturer does the integration and testing and current EF standards don't have the Brimstone integrated, which require flight and launch tests of course.

So no source available for that?

Nope, the most recent integration news of the RSAF is from the Bahrain Airshow in 2012, in which interviewed pilots said that they were dropping laser guided bombs ahead of schedule. Then all news on the RSAF EF just went radio silent, until recently when delivery of new EF started again.

Also I no longer work in the Airbase hospital where I was dealing with pilots and technicians on a daily basis. So I really don't have any first hand insight as I did before.

Nope, the most recent integration news of the RSAF is from the Bahrain Airshow in 2012, in which interviewed pilots said that they were dropping laser guided bombs ahead of schedule.

In 2012 only GBU 16 were integrated (without self guidance though), so the most recent news were the integration of Damocles and clearance for Paveway IV, which was integrated by the UK. But the Saudi Air Force should also get the next Phase 2 Enhancements, which includes Storm Shadow and METEOR, although both are not ordered so far. But as you said, Brimstone is already available for the Tornado and should be integrated sooner or later for the EF too, I just was interested if there is any source for a faster integration.
Btw, 24 Brimstones is not possible, even EF official configs show 6 x triple launchers max => 18 missiles but without fuel tanks. Realistically 4 x triple launchers (12 x missiles), an LDP on the centerline and 2 x fuel tanks should be the max, which still is a great load and could be increased when the SPEAR 3 quadlaunchers will be available.

Back
Top Bottom