What's new

Saudi Arabia wasn't always as rich as you might think...

Mosamania

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia's Lessons Learned

The economic boom in the gulf countries over the past few years — fueled by the continuous rise of oil prices between 2003 and 2008 — helped put the region on the global economic map. In some ways, the boom became captive to a "mine is bigger than yours" syndrome. Competing states embarked on advertising campaigns and hired in public-relations firms to tout their wares. Developers and rulers alike pushed artificial islands (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait), and in many places real estate became the main economic activity. Officials promoted their cities as financial hubs as a way to diversify away from oil. Hundreds of millions of dollars were poured into national air carriers and airports, which were seen both as a source of national pride and as another way to expand the energy-dependent economies.
While oil revenues were flowing, sovereign wealth funds acquired foreign assets with the flair of peacocks. The humility that typified the past was supplanted by conspicuous consumption. Yes, all that infrastructure and new property that was built still exists — but its quality and engineering is, in many cases, dubious. (See pictures of migrant workers in the Gulf.)
In contrast, Saudi Arabia's institutional memory of the boom and bust cycle served it well during what was the kingdom's third great oil boom of the past four decades. After the high prices of the 1970s, Saudi Arabia's economy went through a long-drawn-out slowdown as oil revenues plummeted for most of the 1980s. After a spike when Iraq invaded Kuwait, prices weakened again in the 1990s, even as Saudi struggled to pay off its (large) chunk of the bill for the first Gulf War. At the height of the Asian financial crisis in 1998, oil prices had fallen to just $12 a barrel. This meant that Saudi Arabia — which sells its precious black gold at a discount, on average — was getting just $7 a barrel. Deficit financing was the only solution, and the government started borrowing at home and abroad. By 1999, Saudi Arabia's government debt was bigger than its economy. And then came 9/11, which drove the final nails into the coffin of the country's image. A series of terrorist attacks inside the country added to the sense of chaos. Some predicted the end of the House of Saud.
But when oil prices started to rise in 2003, Saudi Arabia was ready. For one thing, the Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency, the country's central bank, had greatly expanded the number of well-trained national staffers. Second, it had at its helm officials who remembered the bad days of low oil revenues. That meant that when the oil gushers were turned up again, money was saved and not aggressively spent as elsewhere in the region. The nation's wealth was also placed in very liquid investments, predominantly U.S. government paper assets, rather than real estate. While other regional investment funds were buying into international banks, Saudi Arabia was purchasing U.S. government bonds, or paying down its debt. The country can tap into those liquid assets while its neighbors are struggling to sell their investments in banks, equities and companies — Saudi's debt now stands at just 13% of the total size of its economy.
Third, King Abdullah, though often criticized as being too "frugal," has stuck to sensible spending. It is this that has saved Saudi Arabia. Even the ambitious economic cities that were announced at the end of 2005 were private-sector initiatives, not state-financed ones.
Fourth, the banking sector, thanks to its experience during the 1990s, has taken a conservative approach to lending, and remains highly unleveraged. Importantly, real estate in Saudi Arabia did not experience the same bubble that occurred in the country's neighbors; as a result consumers and lenders have been protected.
Fifth, during the boom years, Saudi Arabia invested more than $70 billion in expanding its oil production capacity to 12.5 million barrels per day, not only to secure its future but also to address global supply imbalances.
To be sure, the two stock market slumps in 2006 and 2008 created negative wealth effects. High-net-worth businessmen have been hit by the current global financial crisis. But there is no doubt that the macroeconomic picture is solid and healthy. Over the next five years Saudi Arabia has outlined a $400 billion spending program. In a decade or thereabouts, Saudi Arabia will become a $1 trillion economy and will be better placed than the rest in the region to capitalize on its knowledge and strengths. During the boom years, some critics said Saudi Arabia should become more like Dubai. Now the rest of the region might want to become a bit more like Saudi Arabia.
John Sfakianakis is chief economist of the Saudi British Bank (SABB)

Read more: Saudi Arabia's Lessons Learned - TIME

So you all know what I mean when I keep saying about Saudi Arabia's better future.

Saudi Arabia should now understand one thing, Oil won't last forever, (or even if it last's world will shift to other source of energy needs) so Saudi's should build up industries & try to support their country's economy with industrial exports. UAE have atleast tourism but what does Saudi's have other than oil? What will Saudi's do after oil wells are depleted? Already Saudi's have tense relations with Iran & Pakistanis are getting away from Arabs because of the attitude of Arab countries toward's Pakistan & due to the reason that Arab countries left Pakistan when it's economy need support & investments & working with rivals of Pakistan.

oil plus gold,

so much money, this money could have saudia become an economic power,

as the above user has stated, saudi must even learn from its small neighbour uae and dubai, arleast dubai has invested money for some future, saudi has no future after oil

why is tht after so much money, world only hates saudi arab??

its unbelievable to see one country with so much wealth just from oil and doing nothing

btw what has stopped pakistan investing in nuclear energy???, pkistan is only building nuclear plants for military use, we can take examples from france, where nuclear energy is the best source of energy

Shifting away from oil is goal number one of the Saudi Government. And it is not as easy as you might think.

Shifting away from oil is goal number one of the Saudi Government. And it is not as easy as you might think.

Saudi has got an enormous amount of money, you can pump all of your excess cash into building a seriously powerful services-based economy.

Saudi Arabia should now understand one thing, Oil won't last forever, (or even if it last's world will shift to other source of energy needs) so Saudi's should build up industries & try to support their country's economy with industrial exports. UAE have atleast tourism but what does Saudi's have other than oil? What will Saudi's do after oil wells are depleted? Already Saudi's have tense relations with Iran & Pakistanis are getting away from Arabs because of the attitude of Arab countries toward's Pakistan & due to the reason that Arab countries left Pakistan when it's economy need support & investments & working with rivals of Pakistan.

Actually Saudi Arabia stood by Pakistan when the whole world turned against it. And I am not bragging or doing "mennah" But I am pretty sure alot of people here realize this.

Did you know that Saudi Arabia is the biggest money lender to the world after china? And trust me we are working on it as we speak.

You're right. But lending money to governments doesn't give a big rate of return (only a few percent). In China we only do it because the country can't absorb any more investment, and there is nowhere else to put it.

Saudi Arabia has a good population size, and a lot of money to invest in education. There is a huge amount of potential there, to become a fully services-orientated economy.

Hong Kong for example has no natural resources, but we make a lot of money in financial services.

You're right. But lending money to governments doesn't give a big rate of return (only a few percent). In China we only do it because the country can't absorb any more investment, and there is nowhere else to put it.

Saudi Arabia has a good population size, and a lot of money to invest in education. There is a huge amount of potential there, to become a fully services-orientated economy.

Hong Kong for example has no natural resources, but we make a lot of money in financial services.

There is a huuuuge support for the private sector by the government especially service oriented projects. for instance the government is willing to lend you 200 Million ryals (53.3 Million$) to build a hospital and you can pay the debt on the course of 25 years.
The same goes for other sectors. Also foreign investors get support from the government based on the same idea so it is a long term plan for a much stronger economy. and part of this long term plan is to cut loose from oil and then make our own currency (The GCC plan for a common currency similar to the euro).

All of these eventually will lead to a multi-trillion dollar economy in the future.

Actually Saudi Arabia stood by Pakistan when the whole world turned against it. And I am not bragging or doing "mennah" But I am pretty sure alot of people here realize this.

I'am talking about recent, Yes in the past it stood with Pakistan but Pakistan was well stabled country that time, it is in these years after 2007 that Pakistan has become destabilized country & economy is near collapse, Pakistan is getting no foriegn investments no progress in trade etc.

@ topic, it is advice for Saudi Arabia that you guys need atleast 2 heavily industrial cities that can take pressure of your country's economy when oil era is gone, i don't understand what is the future plans of Saudi Arabia & why is it not moving towards solid based economy.

I am worried about rule of law, quality of human resources and other soft factors for service fields.

Shanghai, for example, is rated #5 top financial city in the world (Financial centre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) due to its strategic location, large and highly educated population, and most importantly, stability and liberal laws.

No offense, but not many people would be willing to send their financial services to be done by workers educated in a madrassa, that follow tribal versions of Sha'ria and in a low density place.

I'am talking about recent, Yes in the past it stood with Pakistan but Pakistan was well stabled country that time, it is in these years after 2007 that Pakistan has become destabilized country & economy is near collapse, Pakistan is getting no foriegn investments no progress in trade etc.

@ topic, it is advice for Saudi Arabia that you guys need atleast 2 heavily industrial cities that can take pressure of your country's economy when oil era is gone, i don't understand what is the future plans of Saudi Arabia & why is it not moving towards solid based economy.

Yanbu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jubail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
RABIGH City
Hail economic city to be a major industrial hub

we are not only building two but four cities. And I think two more are going to be built too.

I am worried about rule of law, quality of human resources and other soft factors for service fields.

Shanghai, for example, is rated #5 top financial city in the world (Financial centre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) due to its strategic location, large and highly educated population, and most importantly, stability and liberal laws.

No offense, but not many people would be willing to send their financial services to be done by workers educated in a madrassa, that follow tribal versions of Sha'ria and in a low density place.

May be foriegn countries won't be willing to invest but Saudis could invest themselves, they can open industries & sell their product world wide.

Saudi Gazette - Strategic plan set to boost public education already under way.

Back
Top Bottom