What's new

Saudi Arabia requires Bride's age for Marrige [HR groups welcome the move.]

@sur - You do not seem to understand the difference between the two situations. In the west, if an adult (or a teen much older than the other) sleeps with an underage person, he/she is considered to be a sex-offender. When two 15 year olds do it, surely it is not paedophilia? It is not a subtle difference; you just don't want to acknowledge it.

As far as cultural differences go, you have a point there. While I will not support the Saudi "cultural practice" as you put it, it cannot be denied that western culture tolerates and perhaps even encourages sex among teenagers. It may not be overt, but it is probably there. But it does crack down hard on paedophiles.

I am NOT defending Saudi's,,, what I am saying is that why ONLY Saudi's r "pedophile" when they do it, while westerners are NOT when they are do even worse stuff at much larger scale,, Why ppl don't make a thread on them,

When pedophilia happens in the west, most of the time it isn't pedophilia. Why? Because pedophilia is when an ADULT has sex with a minor. When a minor has sex with a minor, it's not pedophilia, buddy.

Actually they(both-parents) don't take FULL responsibility for their actions,,, boyfriend is going to dump the GF leaving her on her own(which almost always happens there & u know that) ... just by bringing a life in world & then seeking & weeping before counselors does NOT make u FULLY responsible parent... Saudi's also take full responsibility when they do what they do...

Their parents are paying for the counseling and backing full moral support. Both of them are still together with their boyfriends. Also, the counseling is to learn how to deal with a child at the early age and to manage stress that all mom's go through. If those Saudi's didn't have money, even the society wouldn't be able to 'help.'

Saudi's who marry take FULL responsibility because they r parents NOT just 2 fornicators F****** around... Saudi's marry with agreement of families,,, so how on earth is that pedophilia,,, It's just part of culture that everyone in that culture is OK with,,, Ppl sitting in west have NO right to declare their own definitions of "Pedophilia" & impose it on all the world,,, they better get their own facts right first.

Watch your language. If the child is too young to understand what marriage is, how do you expect them to have sex with some 40 year old man or even give consent to the marriage in the first place? A 12 year old in Saudi probably doesn't even know where babies come from.

Doesn't matter what they "regard it as", it's what they "do"...
By-the-way I have lived in USA & Canada too,,, I know how BIG:tdown: it is considered,,, teenagers wraping around eachother in subways & in malls/schools,,, nobody gives a d.a.m.n,,, would u like to call them "Exhibitionists", like u call those Saudi's as pedophiles!!!... Would u make a thread on American/European "fornicators"... rather u would just ignore it as part of their culture,,, so why NOT leave saudi's to their culture too,,

Well, at this point, I can conclude you don't know what a pedophile is. Nothing to reply to here.

Link u gave talks of age-15-19,,, in my post I quoted a link where stats in US r 84/1000,,, 14-17/1000 was for girls under the age 14years... /
Since Saudi Arabia censors information, I really wouldn't expect them to release information like that, so have fun looking around. Also, the amount of unreported and unrecorded births in Saudi Arabia would have be around the same percentage as the United States. If you proportionally resize the populations to match each other, the outcome would be similar.

ONLY westernized ppl look at it as a problem,,, go to Saudia & ask ladies there if that is a problem,,, Ask the girl who's getting married if it is a problem for her,,, They r happy about their culture, so why should I bother...

It is a problem. In the United States, it is, so why not in Saudi? Go look for some Feminine rights activists in Saudi if you're so interested in what women think. I wouldn't spend 5 minutes in that disgrace of a country. Go Ottomans! woot!

Sharia is fascism. :)

As i said before the age of Hazrat Aisha is disputed, the shias and sunnis differ on this matter although in Bukhari it has been menioned to be 12(i believe), but still it is disputed. i have heard from some mullahs and they gave me the chronology of the events which put her age well above 16 or 17. so dont always bring this issue.

if somebody marries a child of 12 , it is totally wrong today and we must make it illegal simple as that.

actually bukhari cites the account of Al Tabari, who on his own account cites his father. Scholars agree Al Tabari is a highly doubtfull source. The original source of Aisha being 6-9 years is from al tabari who lived in mesopotamia, there are no other original sources, not even from Mekka and Medina. Therefore, anything that have cited the original source is flawed even Bukhari. Looking instead into historical accounts we find that Aisha was probably around 20 years old when she went to live with the profet (pbuh) and neither 6 or 9 years old.

The true age of Hazrat Aisha Reason over Religion
Having said that I think muslim men and women should be at least 18 years old to engage into marriage.

actually bukhari cites the account of Al Tabari, who on his own account cites his father. Scholars agree Al Tabari is a highly doubtfull source. The original source of Aisha being 6-9 years is from al tabari who lived in mesopotamia, there are no other original sources, not even from Mekka and Medina. Therefore, anything that have cited the original source is flawed even Bukhari. Looking instead into historical accounts we find that Aisha was probably around 20 years old when she went to live with the profet (pbuh) and neither 6 or 9 years old.

Having said that I think muslim men and women should be at least 18 years old to engage into marriage.

Tabari’s narratives do not have the distinction to be known Sahih. Even if we assume that this narrative is not an honest mistake,
there is no reason to discard all those strong, detailed and explicit hadiths that concord with each other and confirm the age of Aisha was 9 when
she got married.
but if one totally reject tabari's collection , we can still find strong evidence about aisha's age in sahih haditha as well.
eg.
Bukhari
Volume 5, Book 58, Number 234:
Narrated Aisha:
The Prophet engaged me when I was a girl of six (years)..
Volume 5, Book 58, Number 236
Volume 7, Book 62, Number 118
Volume 7, Book 62, Number 163
etc.

You are absolutely right, and that was my point too. Even if you look at the Ahadith, it differs from one Mazhab to another, shia and sunnis are having different soruces of ahadith, i have asked a few mullahs, i mean good and well informed ones,they categorically denied that Aisha was 9 or 12.

I think in ever muslims country except the KSA, the age marriage is denfied either 16 or 18.

Tabari’s narratives do not have the distinction to be known Sahih. Even if we assume that this narrative is not an honest mistake,
there is no reason to discard all those strong, detailed and explicit hadiths that concord with each other and confirm the age of Aisha was 9 when
she got married.
but if one totally reject tabari's collection , we can still find strong evidence about aisha's age in sahih haditha as well.
eg.
Bukhari
Volume 5, Book 58, Number 234:
Narrated Aisha:
The Prophet engaged me when I was a girl of six (years)..
Volume 5, Book 58, Number 236
Volume 7, Book 62, Number 118
Volume 7, Book 62, Number 163
etc.

You see, the main issue here is that all the ahadiths build on Tabari's account, which by itself is highly dubious and cannot in any way be verified in a historical context. It simply does not add up.

under-age marriage is simply not debatable rather in my view it must be stopped.
From Islamic point of view girl must make an independent decision to marry a boy of her liking from a common understanding I can't see that a 12 year girl be able for an appropriate decision making

To me, maturity is something gained through experience. Some people in their 30s are not as mature than some 16 year olds. It's not about the age, and it's not about "the times." It's about the lessons you're taught as you grow up, and what examples you've had in your life. Those are lessons you can absolutely learn by 16.

Can one successfully get married at age 16 today? No! In these days, you are still a child at 16. So it's not about the age, or the time period, it's about the mindset. Marriage hasn't gotten any harder. It's the people who are getting married these days who are making it harder, because they just don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom