What's new

Saudi Arabia Persuades Pakistan to Abandon Iran-Pakistan Pipeline

Pak47

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Saudi Arabia looks askance at Pakistan’s commitment to pursue energy cooperation with Iran and is nudging the government to reconsider its decision.

This was the essence of a message from the Saudi King conveyed by Saudi Deputy Foreign Minister Prince Abdul Aziz bin Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz in his meetings with Pakistani leaders on Tuesday, Arab diplomatic sources based in Islamabad said.

Riyadh is said to have offered an ‘alternative package’ to meet Islamabad’s growing energy needs in an effort to persuade it to abandon the Iran gas pipeline and electricity/oil import deals.

The deputy foreign minister’s visit closely follows a trip by Saudi Culture and Information Minister Dr Abdul Aziz bin Mohiuddin Al-Khoja last week, which coincided with Chief of Army Staff Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani’s visit to Saudi Arabia.

The exchanges took place against the backdrop of an intensifying cold war between Tehran and Riyadh over Syria with smaller versions of the proxy being played out in Bahrain, Yemen and other parts of the region. The meetings are also taking place at a time when diplomatic efforts for dealing with the Syrian crisis have picked momentum.

Riyadh sees the situation in Syria as key to the future of the Middle East and has been spearheading efforts to isolate Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The statements issued by the Presidency, Prime Minister’s Office and the Foreign Office all spoke about the cordial ties between the two countries and noted the discussions on “regional and international challenges”.

Mr Aziz also had a one-to-one interaction with Prime Minister Gilani, besides the delegation meeting, during which, a prime ministerial aide said, a “special message” from the Saudi monarch was delivered.

A senior Foreign Ministry official confirmed that Iran and the situation in Syria were on the agenda of the talks.

“They have a position. We reiterated our desire for the issues relating to Muslim Ummah to be peacefully resolved through dialogue,” he added.

President Zardari, in his meeting with Mr Aziz, also stressed the need for regional countries to find regional solutions to their problems.The Saudi delegation was informed that maintaining neighbourly relations with Iran did not mean endorsing its position or actions on other issues.

Mr Aziz was quoted in a Foreign Office statement as having said: “Pakistan and Saudi Arabia enjoyed commonality of views on regional and international challenges and the visit afforded him an opportunity to discuss these, and how to address them.”

Saudi Arabia is said to have offered a loan and oil facility to bail Pakistan out of its financial and energy crises.

A Pakistani official said the offer would be discussed at the Pak-Saudi joint ministerial meeting, which is being planned.

Referring to the ministerial meeting, Prime Minister Gilani told the Saudi minister that it was important for “working out mechanism to give impetus to trade compatible with the exemplary relations between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

S. Arabia offers help to tide over energy crisis | DAWN.COM

lol @ saudis

Everytime I think about this country, I shiver at the thought that once in the past we were just like they were, a bunch of useless puppets.

Anyway, why is the title of this thread contradictory to the title of the report?

ISLAMABAD: Saudi Arabia looks askance at Pakistan’s commitment to pursue energy cooperation with Iran and is nudging the government to reconsider its decision.

The gas pipeline is crucial to pakistan's ability to generate electricity using gas instead of petroleum. This project is in the long term interest of Pakistan and China and should not be forsaken for other interests. I would like to see improvement in Pakistan and Iran relationship in a strategic long-term Partnership. Pakistan should not forsake its long term Strategic interest at the request of Saudi Arabia. When Saudi Arabia felt the need to have closer military ties with India, they did not consult Pakistan. All countries follow their own strategic interest independently and so should Pakistan.

lol @ saudis

Anyway, why is the title of this thread contradictory to the title of the report?

Original title S. Arabia offers help to tide over energy crisis

My tittle Saudi Arabia persuades Pakistan to Abandon Iran Pakistan pipeline. (forgot the Attempt part before persuade) :hitwall:

This tittle will attract more attention.. and in a way its not a lie. Just manipulating the source to add a bit more fun. ;)

Mods if tittle can be fixed it would be greatly appreciated. :victory:

What a misleading title. Even the US was unable to pressure Pakistan into abandoning the IP Pipeline. Good luck to the Saudis. :disagree:

Original title S. Arabia offers help to tide over energy crisis

My tittle Saudi Arabia persuades Pakistan to Abandon Iran Pakistan pipeline.

This tittle will attract more attention.. and in a way its not a lie. Just manipulating the source to add a bit more fun. ;)

..attempts to persuade Pakistan.. would make more sense. :P
Technically, what you wrote is a lie. Lol.

Saudis please don't bail us out of this energy crisis please , let us fall so that one day we (as a nation) try to get back on our feet , besides there is 'no free lunch' in this world . We must negotiate with Iran who is our immediate neighbour . For too long Saudi aid (delayed oil payments) hav helped our rulers delay the obvious (economic meltdown) let us hav it now , I would rather face such hardships today then hav my kids face them tomorrow .

What a misleading title. Even the US was unable to pressure Pakistan into abandoning the IP Pipeline. Good luck to the Saudis. :disagree:

After the U.S. failed to do so, they asked Saudi to give it a shot, because they're thinking Pakistan has a better chance of listening to the Saudi's on this case compared to U.S.

Saudi Arabia just took orders from its masters.

..attempts to persuade Pakistan.. would make more sense. :P
Technically, what you wrote is a lie. Lol.

Yeah, re-edit that post, your right i forgot to add attempts :hitwall:

Apparently, even India wants to return back to the IP(I) pipeline.

Back
Top Bottom