What's new

Saudi Arabia maybe interested in acquiring 5 Type 209 Submarines

'Supping 'sup bro? :wave:
$16.5 billion for 5 Subs thats $3.3 billion per Sub, if my calculations are correct ! :o:

How much could the Transfer of Technology (ToT) be worth ! o_O

Too much don't you think? Could that be the price of the so-called intended 25 units? :undecided: or do you think that the report is just a BS? And that the Saudis may go after the 214 or the up-coming 218?

Too much don't you think? Could that be the price of the so-called intended 25 units? :undecided: or do you think that the report is just a BS? And that the Saudis may go after the 214 or the up-coming 218?

I'm fine thank you ! :)

How are you doing ? :azn:

I dunno ! :unsure:

Type 214 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bro, in 2008 Type 214 was going for @330 million USD. If KSA was planning 25 Subs, Germany would Sell the Technology to KSA. This I a buyers market and as a Buyer KSA would have the upper hand. KSA knows how to negotiate a deal so get the 25 Subs for 10 Billion or less ( that comes out to 400 Million per Submarine with complete transfer of Technology ). Pakistan Navy can join KSA in the deal and buy three and help build those in KSA as we have experience with building Modern French Agosta 90's.

@Yzd Khalifa - Bad decision, why would you buy an old hag when U-214s are on the market?

I know right? That's what I'm saying. I also think that the cost of the total contract is utterly inaccurate don't you think so?

Bro, in 2008 Type 214 was going for @330 million USD. If KSA was planning 25 Subs, Germany would Sell the Technology to KSA. This I a buyers market and as a Buyer KSA would have the upper hand. KSA knows how to negotiate a deal so get the 25 Subs for 10 Billion or less ( that comes out to 400 Million per Submarine with complete transfer of Technology ). Pakistan Navy can join KSA in the deal and buy three and help build those in KSA as we have experience with building Modern French Agosta 90's.

Yes Sir :smart: point taken.

What about the cost of the contract? :P I think it is too big.

Useless to speculate for nothing. Nobody knows what model or the number of submarines - definitely 5 - will be retained ultimately. Although logically it will be either the ‘U-214’ (Not U-209, just ridiculous by medias. Saudi arabia has never acquired the low-end) or ‘Scorpène class’.

Last edited:
@Yzd Khalifa | Either someone's incompetent, someone making money or someone incompetent making money here.

Another likelihood is that this is disinformation and the actual subs will be U-214s. Considering the fact that the Saudi have a huge coast line,t hey shouldn't be buying small boats like U-209/12/14 - the best fit for KSA will be U-216 with a displacement of ~ 4000 tonnes.

Type 216 U-216 Conventional Submarine SSK AIP TKMS HDW Submarine Class 216 Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems Royal Australian Navy datasheet pictures images photos video specification

I know right? That's what I'm saying. I also think that the cost of the total contract is utterly inaccurate don't you think so?

Yes Sir :smart: point taken.

What about the cost of the contract? :P I think it is too big.

Somebody was smoking funny cigarettes ( reefers) when they wrote that article for the German magazine... :D :P :cheers:

@Yzd Khalifa | Either someone's incompetent, someone making money or someone incompetent making money here.

Another likelihood is that this is disinformation and the actual subs will be U-214s. Considering the fact that the Saudi have a huge coast line,t hey shouldn't be buying small boats like U-209/12/14 - the best fit for KSA will be U-216 with a displacement of ~ 4000 tonnes.

Type 216 U-216 Conventional Submarine SSK AIP TKMS HDW Submarine Class 216 Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems Royal Australian Navy datasheet pictures images photos video specification

U-216 is not yet fully developed but especially has not yet to demonstrate its reliability in the operational as U-214, now.

Last edited:
U-216 is not yet fully developed but especially has not yet to demonstrate its reliability in the operational as U-214, now.

Trust the German engineering ! - You have Three seas to patrol, we have one. You need subs like U-216 to meet your demands, we can hang out on our Augostas just fine.

I strongly hope that the Saudi Navy pushes for U-216s.

If the U-214 is selected it will be because of the excellent mastery of the turkey with the German models (Now, manufacturing of all the elements).

In both cases we - GCC - will win. U-214 (Mastery Turkey), Scorpène class (Mastery Pakistan).

Trust the German engineering ! - You have Three seas to patrol, we have one. You need subs like U-216 to meet your demands, we can hang out on our Augostas just fine.

I strongly hope that the Saudi Navy pushes for U-216s.

Turkey sister does not mastery the U-216. Too risky for absorption to transfer of technology.

6 U-214TN wiht 80% offset agreement have signed with HDW and SSM !!!

Today’s Special: Turkey Subs

Diehl Defence: Turkish industry joins common submarine missile project

Last edited:
Somebody was smoking funny cigarettes ( reefers) when they wrote that article for the German magazine... :D :P :cheers:

I guess soooo!

Speaking of Saudi-Pakistani naval cooperation; my best friend's lil bro works at the RSNF R&D. Its headquarter is located between Riyadh and Kharj, where only one nationals are given full excess to it - other than Saudi nationals of course - ;)

If the U-214 is selected it will be because of the excellent mastery of the turkey with the German models (Now, manufacturing of all the elements).

In both cases we - GCC - will win. U-214 (Mastery Turkey), Scorpène class (Mastery Pakistan).

Turkey sister does not mastery the U-216. Too risky for absorption to transfer of technology.

So in other words, you will choose a sub that has a fail safe? (Refurbishment and spareparts freedom available to KSA in Turkey and Pakistan)

I think the news is a bit fishy and vague.

I do know for sure that the Saudis are too picky when it comes to procuring requirements, I don't think they will go after the 209 either.

I guess soooo!

Speaking of Saudi-Pakistani naval cooperation; my best friend's lil bro works at the RSNF R&D. Its headquarter is located between Riyadh and Kharj, where only one nationals are given full excess to it - other than Saudi nationals of course - ;)

We patrolled your seas for decades - and looked unto you in your undies taking a bath on the beach through our periscopes, is that a breach of privacy? :D

Back
Top Bottom