What's new

Saudi Arabia, Indonesia Sign Defense Cooperation Agreement

Well....the period right after the Gulf War was a bad time for the Saudi economy, with a lot of budget deficits and the period after it seemed like it would be secure with us buying from our regular sources.

I'm guessing the unreliability of the current US administration made these moves happen.

Well....the period right after the Gulf War was a bad time for the Saudi economy, with a lot of budget deficits and the period after it seemed like it would be secure with us buying from our regular sources.

I'm guessing the unreliability of the current US administration made these moves happen.

Sure but at least since 2000 (if my memory serves me right since I am still in my most early 20's) then there was plenty of room for such moves from 2000 and onwards. Especially since the time Abdullah gained power. A lot has been done to his defense.

:lol:

Well then I wish for USA to totally abandon us as our ally if this means that we will become fully self-sufficient in 1-2 decades time. Or take many more of such decisions like these in the future which are right decisions. We have all the means to be self-sufficient on most areas. At least by large.

What do you say? You seem quite well-versed at least. Take that as a compliment.

I always really liked a move away from the USA as our prime supplier but even with all these moves....I doubt the US influence will go away altogether.

There is no country in the world with the force projection powers of the United States and the Royal Family counts on the support of the US to maintain security in the face of Egypt under Nasser, Iraq under Saddam and now Iran under the Ayatollahs.

But the United States has a way of undercutting defense in their allies. For example, look at Canada! The United States destroyed the Avro Arrow project (At the time, the most advanced Interceptor in the world) to sell Canada F-101 voodoos. They then hooked Canada up on the American jet drugs, giving them the license to produce F-18s (CF-18s) and soon, the F-35.

However, Canada are looking to back out of the F-35 deal and sign a full ToT agreement with Dassault to build Rafales in Canada and of course, the US is trying to scuttle that.

:(

I always really liked a move away from the USA as our prime supplier but even with all these moves....I doubt the US influence will go away altogether.

There is no country in the world with the force projection powers of the United States and the Royal Family counts on the support of the US to maintain security in the face of Egypt under Nasser, Iraq under Saddam and now Iran under the Ayatollahs.

But the United States has a way of undercutting defense in their allies. For example, look at Canada! The United States destroyed the Avro Arrow project (At the time, the most advanced Interceptor in the world) to sell Canada F-101 voodoos. They then hooked Canada up on the American jet drugs, giving them the license to produce F-18s (CF-18s) and soon, the F-35.

However, Canada are looking to back out of the F-35 deal and sign a full ToT agreement with Dassault to build Rafales in Canada and of course, the US is trying to scuttle that.

:(

Don't know anything about Canada since I am yet to visit it. But I know that all the Saudi Arabians who could not study in the US or did not want to have either come to Canada or England, LOL.

I am more familiar with the US. Studied there for 1 year. Plan to go there again. My comment was just a slight joke but I think you got the meaning. I am all for keeping our 60+ year old friendship intact with the US but at the same time I would like to see a growing cooperation with China etc. which already exists. But you can't get the best out of both since they are sworn enemies. So one has to pick when it matters the most. Our bet as it is now is on the US side which is fine with me.

What I am trying to say is that we need our self-sufficiency to grow.

I am not that worried about the air force. Only the IAF is stronger in the region by virtue of them living on welfare and having more experience when it comes to actual engagements during armed conflicts. But I don't think that we will have an engagement with them. Once a two-state solution is reached I can see a cooperation with them actually. Real one.

How many aircrafts have we got? 700-800? How many more are on order? 150-200? Don't remember the exact numbers but we are perfectly fine there. Many skilled pilots too who train with the best on a regular basis. Let alone the other GCC members and their air forces.

What I would like to see is for us to strengthen the land forces and navy. The population is growing so numbers should not be a problem.

That's where our self-sufficiency should come into the picture.

What do you say?

I frankly do not see a Two-state solution ever coming into existence any time in the future. I don't expect there to be Saudi-Israeli conflict though.

What I'm worried about is the mentioned lack of experience. Saudi Arabia has proven very reluctant to get its hands dirty in actual conflict and I think this come as a detriment to the readiness of the Saudi military. I wish we would bring some of this massive military spending to bear and assert ourselves more in the regional sphere.

Its good Saudi Arabia is taking lead, but it is also playing with fire..... are Saudi Authorities ready to face the consequences of their ventures.
I'm afraid, all these countries where KSA is making ventures, would be made incapable of rendering any co-operation, for one or other reason.

I personally, would pray for success of the sincere efforts.

@burning_phoneix

Point taken. Let us see about that.

What are you referring to? I think it is positive that we have not engaged in any major conflicts for years, outside the victory against the Houthis but at the same time a real war could answer a lot of unanswered questions. We can always use Awamiyah as a training ground. Is that not right @Arabian Legend @JUBA @Yzd Khalifa ? :lol:

Its good Saudi Arabia is taking lead, but it is also playing with fire..... are Saudi Authorities ready to face the consequences of their ventures.
I'm afraid, all these countries where KSA is making ventures, would be made incapable of rendering any co-operation, for one or other reason.

I personally, would pray for success of the sincere efforts.

Pleaste elaborate on that 7abibi.

Pleaste elaborate on that 7abibi.

Just being pessimistic.... and afraid of the coming conspiracies against the sincere efforts of KSA.
Happy on the otherhand, that KSA didn't deterred from the propaganda but analysed all with vision, and IMO have moved in right direction, which is very strategic move. Which, I regard nothing less than playing with fire.

Just being pessimistic.... and afraid of the coming conspiracies against the sincere efforts of KSA.
Happy on the otherhand, that KSA didn't deterred from the propaganda but analysed all with vision, and IMO have moved in right direction, which is very strategic move. Which, I regard nothing less than playing with fire.

Not sure if I understand you?

Which conspiracies? KSA-Indonesian relations are tied with religion, blood, culture, history etc. Not sure what there is to be pessimistic about with this news.

Anyway thank you for your well wishes.

Not sure if I understand you?

Which conspiracies? KSA-Indonesian relations are tied with religion, blood, culture, history etc. Not sure what there is to be pessimistic about with this news.

Anyway thank you for your well wishes.

I talk about, conspiracies of enemies of both states.... and enemies of Muslims, sorry for having you confused!

I talk about, conspiracies of enemies of both states.... and enemies of Muslims, sorry for having you confused!

Aha, that way. My mistake 7abibi.

Yes, unfortunately they will be there but we Muslims must make a hindrance of this and return to our former glory and education, cooperation and returning to Islam is the solution for this.

I sincerely hope and pray for the best. I am especially looking forward for even stronger Saudi Arabian-Pakistani ties.

Anyway have to go to bed. Must get up early tomorrow. So take care!

1390650550845002700.jpg

CLOSING RANKS: Deputy Defense Minister Prince Salman bin Sultan receives an SS2-V1 assault rifle from his Indonesian counterpart Lt. Gen. (retd) Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin during his visit to Indonesia. (AN photo)

JEDDAH: IRFAN MOHAMMED

Published — Monday 27 January 2014

Last update 27 January 2014 12:31 am

Deputy Defense Minister Prince Salman bin Sultan and his Indonesian counterpart Lt. Gen. (retd) Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin on Thursday signed the Defense Cooperation Agreement (DCA), the first such agreement that Indonesia has signed with a Middle Eastern country.
Prince Salman’s maiden visit to Indonesia, the first by a Saudi deputy defense minister, is being seen as important and significant in recent times, and meant to further cement bilateral relations between the two countries.
The DCA encompasses training, defense education and other security aspects of mutual interest, said an Indonesian official.
The official said the visit also served as a platform to showcase Indonesian defense industry’s capabilities.
“Indonesia has proposed a joint venture project, focusing on the Anoa platform, which may suit Saudi needs in the defense industry,” he said.
Stating that Saudi Arabia will donate an Arabic language laboratory to the Indonesian Peace and Security Center in Sentul, West Java, the official said: “The language lab will be used to train Indonesian soldiers who will be deployed in Lebanon as part of the UN peace-keeping mission.”
According to Indonesian media reports, the Indonesian deputy minister presented Prince Salman with an SS2-V1 assault rifle made by state-owned arms-maker PT Pindad before the latter visited the headquarters of the Army’s Special Force (Kopassus) in Cijantung, East Jakarta, and watched Kopassus operatives showcasing their skills.
Prince Salman also saw the functioning of Anoa armored personnel carriers (APC) and a Komodo tactical vehicle produced by PT Pindad in Bandung.
Before returning home from Halim Perdanakusuma Air Force Base in East Jakarta, Prince Salman observed two helicopters and two transportation airplanes, assembled and produced by state-owned PT Dirgantara Indonesia (DI), the reports said.
In another development, Indonesian education and culture minister Muhammed Nuh returned home on Friday. The Indonesian minister was in the Kingdom to participate in a special conference of cultural ministers of Islamic countries in Madinah.
“Culture plays an important role in bringing about balance in social, economic, national and religious life. Without culture, Indonesian people who have so many diversities could not have lived in harmony and peace,” he said at the conference.
“Indonesia has experience in using culture as a unifying tool. Indonesia also has the tradition of dialogue and cooperation in community life. Religious organizations and community leaders are working together in terms of culture and religion,” he said.

Deputy defense minister’s Indonesia visit ‘milestone’ | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

@Wahhab2701

Great News. I love to see Muslim Nations Cooperating to improve their Economy and Defense. I see so much potential with countries like Pakistan, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Gulf states. If these Nations band together in a meaningful way to improve their Trade and Economy with each other and build Defense together, it would benefit us all.

Look at what European Nations are doing together to help each other out.

For the next fighter program.....Saudi can look at our KFX / IFX program.....once the prototype completed insyaALLAH within 2017-2019....IPTN /PT Dirgantara will have freedom to customize it...(separated with South Korea program).. and need some finance to make the second version..(more stealthy version) ...so partnership with Saudi can be a very good option

1390650550845002700.jpg

CLOSING RANKS: Deputy Defense Minister Prince Salman bin Sultan receives an SS2-V1 assault rifle from his Indonesian counterpart Lt. Gen. (retd) Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin during his visit to Indonesia. (AN photo)

JEDDAH: IRFAN MOHAMMED

Published — Monday 27 January 2014

Last update 27 January 2014 12:31 am

Deputy Defense Minister Prince Salman bin Sultan and his Indonesian counterpart Lt. Gen. (retd) Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin on Thursday signed the Defense Cooperation Agreement (DCA), the first such agreement that Indonesia has signed with a Middle Eastern country.
Prince Salman’s maiden visit to Indonesia, the first by a Saudi deputy defense minister, is being seen as important and significant in recent times, and meant to further cement bilateral relations between the two countries.
The DCA encompasses training, defense education and other security aspects of mutual interest, said an Indonesian official.
The official said the visit also served as a platform to showcase Indonesian defense industry’s capabilities.
“Indonesia has proposed a joint venture project, focusing on the Anoa platform, which may suit Saudi needs in the defense industry,” he said.
Stating that Saudi Arabia will donate an Arabic language laboratory to the Indonesian Peace and Security Center in Sentul, West Java, the official said: “The language lab will be used to train Indonesian soldiers who will be deployed in Lebanon as part of the UN peace-keeping mission.”
According to Indonesian media reports, the Indonesian deputy minister presented Prince Salman with an SS2-V1 assault rifle made by state-owned arms-maker PT Pindad before the latter visited the headquarters of the Army’s Special Force (Kopassus) in Cijantung, East Jakarta, and watched Kopassus operatives showcasing their skills.
Prince Salman also saw the functioning of Anoa armored personnel carriers (APC) and a Komodo tactical vehicle produced by PT Pindad in Bandung.
Before returning home from Halim Perdanakusuma Air Force Base in East Jakarta, Prince Salman observed two helicopters and two transportation airplanes, assembled and produced by state-owned PT Dirgantara Indonesia (DI), the reports said.
In another development, Indonesian education and culture minister Muhammed Nuh returned home on Friday. The Indonesian minister was in the Kingdom to participate in a special conference of cultural ministers of Islamic countries in Madinah.
“Culture plays an important role in bringing about balance in social, economic, national and religious life. Without culture, Indonesian people who have so many diversities could not have lived in harmony and peace,” he said at the conference.
“Indonesia has experience in using culture as a unifying tool. Indonesia also has the tradition of dialogue and cooperation in community life. Religious organizations and community leaders are working together in terms of culture and religion,” he said.

Deputy defense minister’s Indonesia visit ‘milestone’ | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

@Wahhab2701
Indeed this is a milestone in the bilateral relation between the 2 countries. I hope the same could be made not only between 2 countries but more moslem countries. KSA could play a pivotal role due to her most strategic position in the islamic world.

Back
Top Bottom