What's new

Saudi Arabia brings cultural, religious exotica to India

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew you were talking about tajiks of Tajikistan/Samarqand and Bukhara. but why do you think about them like that? and how about Tajiks of other parts of Afghanistan? looks like you had differnt opinion about them too.

I was watching a documentry, where they showed Tajikistan and they were mostly speaking Russian, and seemed to be drinking vodka like water. At the same time, most of them keep their Muslim identity. I think Tajiks of Afghanistan seem more religious and hell, in the Eastern part they literally speak "Old Farsi" or Dari. Most of Afghanistan speaks Dari.

I know brah but to be honest I doubt many Americans know that Iranians are Persians. :D

If you say so...Besides, people atleast in California prefer "Persia" over Iran. Also, Persians are Iranians, not the other way around.

I was watching a documentry, where they showed Tajikistan and they were mostly speaking Russian, and seemed to be drinking vodka like water. At the same time, most of them keep their Muslim identity. I think Tajiks of Afghanistan seem more religious and hell, in the Eastern part they literally speak "Old Farsi" or Dari. Most of Afghanistan speaks Dari.

with due respect brother, but you guys in Paksitan speak English, English is your official language, and dont forget that Sharab is also not something alient to Pakistan, now can we assume that Pakistanis nowdays look like British?

If you say so...Besides, people atleast in California prefer "Persia" over Iran. Also, Persians are Iranians, not the other way around.

lol, Californians? :rofl:

Iran literally translates to 'Land of the Aryans'.

with due respect brother, but you guys in Paksitan speak English, English is your official language, and dont forget that Sharab is also not something alient to Pakistan, now can we assume that Pakistanis nowdays look like British?

I suppose, but it's illegal.Plus based on looks Tajiks, don't look Russian it's just the vibe I got from the documentry. I've never been there, so I would say I am 80% ignorant. Maybe you can open up a cultural thread about Tajik population.

lol, Californians? :rofl:

Iran literally translates to 'Land of the Aryans'.

Good chunk of "Persians" fled to US (California) after Islamic revolution.

And yes, we all know what Iran translates too, nevermind there never were people named Aryans.

Wow I am just surprised by how some people are just so narrow minded and can't accept new information. For those who don't know, according to recent discoveries in Saudi Arabia, archaeologists have found a 9000 year old civilization that actually used domesticated horses. To put this in perspective, the ancient Egyptian civilization is dated to around 5000BC and the Indus valley civilization between 3500BC and 4000BC. The point is that every has a history and something unique to offer if we only look for it.
Horses Domesticated 9,000 Years Ago in Saudi Arabia : Discovery News

Indians historically and even today have been open to people and welcomed them. I think given the fact that the Saudi govt. made an effort to send an 80+ team of artists and performers wouldn't it be worth to at least SEE what they have to offer. Did people criticizing the initiative even READ what the article said? And please no Iran talk.

In any case, there are 88 Saudi artists and here is another article on the road show.
The Hindu : Arts / Art : An Arabian treat for Delhi
DE29_PG2_2-COL_SAUD_795226f.jpg

Art exhibition, talks, folk performances and more on the menu

For the first time in the country, a “Saudi Cultural Week” showcasing the Arab country's rich cultural heritage, art and fashion has been organised on a big scale here in the Capital.

Organised jointly by Indian Council for Cultural Relations and the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, the cultural week has multiple components. It was inaugurated at Lalit Kala Akademi on Tuesday. The event had another first as the much sought after holy water from the Zamzan well at Makkah was served to visitors in miniature jars by men dressed in traditional robes.

The walls at the Akademi are decorated with art works of different hues and Arab garments are on display. Six artists are present to explain their works to visitors who want to know about the art scene in the West Asian country. The exhibition showcases over 100 Persian and Arabic calligraphic art, paintings, heritage photographs, digital art and multi-media art.

Welcoming the 88-member delegation, ICCR Director-General Suresh Goel said Saudi Arabia is an important country for India both in terms of civilisation and in strategic and economic dimensions. According to Arab News Editor-in-Chief Khaled Almaeena, who will deliver a talk on the geo-political situation in the Gulf at Jamia Millia Islamia on Thursday, a small but significant beginning has been made to cement cultural ties between India and Saudi Arabia. The Saudi Cultural Week is on up to October 1. The exhibition at Lalit Kala Akademi is on till September 30.

As part of the cultural week, a 60-member cultural troupe from Saudi Arabia country will present music and popular folk performances at Siri Fort Auditorium-I this Thursday.

If u take a look at growth of hindu and muslim population in india and make computer program which can make iterations until muslim population goes higher than hindus...then u will beleive...

Not in a million years. Muslims got their due in 1947 called Pakistan. Muslims who remained in India, did so fully aware of the fact that they will live in a Hindu dominated country.

You want India to be divided again....over my dead body.

Harpoon, why even attempt to even respond to some troller which is obvious by his id HZR2011 talk about Muslims "taking over India" in a computer program. You should be just reporting him for offtopic posts.

Read the Sachar committee report where it has done population projections for all populations and it has clearly said that by the 2080s they should stablise at around 18% which Hindus still being the major majority at more than 75%+.

Idiots who talk about this stuff are similar to those idiots in Europe talking about Eurabia and how Muslims are taking over Europe by increasing their population (when in actual fact the are around 4% and their population is expected to stabilise at around 8% by 2070s).

But we don't need wahabi/salafi/tabligi and KSA funds for radicalization of our people.

Veeru, I think you are confused about what you are citing here. Maybe some common misconceptions. But just wanted to clarify that salafi/wahabbi are just a school of thought. It might be conservative and I personally don't like it but that doesnt' mean people that such people will go around bombing people. In fact, one of the first fatwa that came against suicide bombing was by a Salafi/Wahabbi scholar Sheikh Bin Baaz in the 1980s. And it was at this time he declared that suicide bombing as a tactic is haram and unacceptable EVEN if it is used by Palestinians against the Israelis.

Tablighi if you are referring to the Tablighi Jamaat is actually an indigenous INDIAN organization that is completely APOLITICAL and is based in New Delhi. It is a very open group but has never been linked directly to any terrorist act either and CMs from BJP and Shiv Sena have attended its meet as well at different points in time. Ofcourse it is also a conservative movement but is quite popular around the world. An example of how Indian Muslims even today command vast respect around the Muslim world

What should be of concern is political Islamist groups. Like Hizbut-Tahrir for example, or groups that advocate establishment of some sort of political Islamic setup like SIMI used to do. You should check out this thread to understand this (http://www.defence.pk/forums/curren...ology-unanswered-questions-case-pakistan.html)Infact, this applies to any religious group.

Regarding KSA funding radicalisation, can you be more specific? Do you mean the Saudi govt. because that would be pretty difficult to happen today. It is possible that you may be referring to private donors. In any case, any credible links to back these would help.

India has signed a security cooperation and extradition pact with the Saudis and some extraditions have already taken place. Infact, the Saudis can be one of the best partners in counter terrorism seeing that they have one of the most successful counter terror strategies in place. The US almost certainly was able to stop the printer cartridge bomb plot because of Saudi help. If the Pakistanis did even half of what the Saudis have done overall, it would be a totally different situation in South Asia too.

The CT efforts of the Saudis have led to the US inviting them to even setup a UN based CT unit of which India is also a founding member
Kingdom to help create anti-terror center at UN - Arab News

And a few links on combating Terrorism financing
"Fatwa" condemning terrorism financing issued in Saudi Arabia - National Law Enforcement | Examiner.com
Counterterrorism Blog: Time for Real TF ?Arrests? in Saudi Arabia
Counterterrorism Blog: Top Saudi Cleric Issues Warning

Harpoon, why even attempt to even respond to some troller which is obvious by his id HZR2011 talk about Muslims "taking over India" in a computer program. You should be just reporting him for offtopic posts.

Read the Sachar committee report where it has done population projections for all populations and it has clearly said that by the 2080s they should stablise at around 18% which Hindus still being the major majority at more than 75%+.

Idiots who talk about this stuff are similar to those idiots in Europe talking about Eurabia and how Muslims are taking over Europe by increasing their population (when in actual fact the are around 4% and their population is expected to stabilise at around 8% by 2070s).

Let me tell you what happened in Kerala:

16 seats in Malappuram

Malappuram has been the top gainer, getting four more seats. With 16 seats now, Malappuram has also secured the distinction of being the district with the highest number of Assembly constituencies in the State.

The Hindu : Kerala / Thiruvananthapuram News : New election landscape, fresh challenges

Know more about Malappuram. Its the only Muslim dominated district in Kerala.

Muslims constitute the majority of the population, followed by the Hindu and Christian communities. The Muslims of Malappuram District are known as Mappilas. A great majority of them are traditional Sunnis following the Shafi School of thought.

Malappuram district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Malappuram is the powerhouse of Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) and with the extra seats that they got through delimitation they are now the second largest party in ruling UDF with 20 seats. So I don't care what Sanchar Report says, this is what happening in India. This is a small example of what is going to happen to Indian Union. HZR2011 may be a troll but he raised a valid concern. Unlike the Tamils of SL Muslims in India are spread about the whole of India and is already contributing to the majority of Swing votes in every election. With Muslim population increasing I am seeing a lot of Malappurams spread through out India. Add to that there is the demographic terrorism from Bangladesh and you have a recipe for social turmoil

Just to add the previous conversation, Europe will never become Eurabia. Muslim birth rate even in Europe is falling.

I am off topic but I thought I should add this tidbit.

Wow I am just surprised by how some people are just so narrow minded and can't accept new information. For those who don't know, according to recent discoveries in Saudi Arabia, archaeologists have found a 9000 year old civilization that actually used domesticated horses. To put this in perspective, the ancient Egyptian civilization is dated to around 5000BC and the Indus valley civilization between 3500BC and 4000BC. The point is that every has a history and something unique to offer if we only look for it.
Horses Domesticated 9,000 Years Ago in Saudi Arabia : Discovery News

Indians historically and even today have been open to people and welcomed them. I think given the fact that the Saudi govt. made an effort to send an 80+ team of artists and performers wouldn't it be worth to at least SEE what they have to offer. Did people criticizing the initiative even READ what the article said? And please no Iran talk.

In any case, there are 88 Saudi artists and here is another article on the road show.
The Hindu : Arts / Art : An Arabian treat for Delhi
DE29_PG2_2-COL_SAUD_795226f.jpg

Art exhibition, talks, folk performances and more on the menu

For the first time in the country, a “Saudi Cultural Week” showcasing the Arab country's rich cultural heritage, art and fashion has been organised on a big scale here in the Capital.

Organised jointly by Indian Council for Cultural Relations and the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, the cultural week has multiple components. It was inaugurated at Lalit Kala Akademi on Tuesday. The event had another first as the much sought after holy water from the Zamzan well at Makkah was served to visitors in miniature jars by men dressed in traditional robes.

The walls at the Akademi are decorated with art works of different hues and Arab garments are on display. Six artists are present to explain their works to visitors who want to know about the art scene in the West Asian country. The exhibition showcases over 100 Persian and Arabic calligraphic art, paintings, heritage photographs, digital art and multi-media art.

Welcoming the 88-member delegation, ICCR Director-General Suresh Goel said Saudi Arabia is an important country for India both in terms of civilisation and in strategic and economic dimensions. According to Arab News Editor-in-Chief Khaled Almaeena, who will deliver a talk on the geo-political situation in the Gulf at Jamia Millia Islamia on Thursday, a small but significant beginning has been made to cement cultural ties between India and Saudi Arabia. The Saudi Cultural Week is on up to October 1. The exhibition at Lalit Kala Akademi is on till September 30.

As part of the cultural week, a 60-member cultural troupe from Saudi Arabia country will present music and popular folk performances at Siri Fort Auditorium-I this Thursday.

that is why it was called aravsthan in ancient india...arav=horse..

Even when the Persians had not converted to Islam they were still hated in the west

this_is_sparta_This_is_SPARTA-s373x411-14709-580.jpg

You've a weird perception of the world. Ancient empires were always at war with each other. Alexander's generals got pummeled flat by king Puru (who Greeks and Westerners called Porus today) and later by emperor Chandragupta Maurya himself. Does that mean that we hated Greece or still hate them? No. Heck! we instead became two wonderful civilizations friendly to each other.

Battle of Thermopylae is one of the many battles fought between ancient empires. How are you equating Greeks to be what are today's Westerners just to give some mild justification to your comment? I can't believe you just related an action movie as a bridge between wars of two ancient empires and the modern disconnect between Islam and Today's World. :blink:.

Let's not get movies into serious debate.

You've a weird perception of the world. Ancient empires were always at war with each other. Alexander's generals got pummeled flat by king Puru (who Greeks and Westerners called Porus today) and later by emperor Chandragupta Maurya himself. Does that mean that we hated Greece or still hate them? No. Heck! we instead became two wonderful civilizations friendly to each other.

Battle of Thermopylae is one of the many battles fought between ancient empires. How are you equating Greeks to be what are today's Westerners just to give some mild justification to your comment? I can't believe you just related an action movie as a bridge between wars of two ancient empires and the modern disconnect between Islam and Today's World. :blink:.

He is a time waster ignore him.

Ironically, the movie 300 is based on a comic book :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom