What's new

Saudi Arabia becomes latest buyer of Russian S-400 system

this aint gonna be no good decision. democracy will come soon to saudia

Congrats. Never rely on single supplier when you have the money and as said, in today's world arms deals are part of diplomatic relations hence, in contact with all will benefit you. In the end, my and few others interest and congrats to both new buyers KSA & Turkiye, is another story (Drifting).

Finally Saudi learned the lesson hard way American air defense systems were not stopping Yemeni missiles lol. A blow to America on loss of customer and this deal might help bringing peace in Syria and Yemen.

What's the problem? Russia does not make political conditions for the buyers of its weapons. At the same time, Russia, of course, does not consider Assad and Syria the subject of bargaining.

No partners or allies agree with everything. KSA might believe that Al-Assad should step down in Syria as his regime has lost legitimacy but the integrity of Syria (as well as Iraq) and preventing Daesh and other terrorists from gaining a foothold and threatening the entire region is the priority. King Salman made this clear today when speaking with Putin as well as Al-Jubeir when he spoke with his counterpart (Lavrov). This has been state policy ever since the conflict in Syria began.

As we discussed in another thread, there is a lot of potential for KSA and Russia to improve ties on numerous fronts, in particular economic and military ones as well as educational. Russia wants to have closer ties with the Arab world and here KSA will play an important role for obvious reasons.

Similarly KSA's greatest trading partner is China (a country that we have very close and growing ties to, also military ties) while this does not prevent us from having cordial ties (for now at least) with the US (including trade ties), UK, France etc. Now the ties with Russia are growing as they should and that is a good thing. Pragmatism, mutually beneficial relations etc. are more important than childish policies or disagreements. Even Russia's, maybe closest ally, Belarus, is not always doing everything that Russia (Putin) wants yet ties remain very close. Disagreements should not hinder friendly ties. This is a sign of maturity and sensible policies. KSA and Russia have a lot of interests in common. Do I need to say more than energy policies? That's a HUGE business for both. Reason enough to have good relations let alone many other current and potentially future reasons.

Anyway Russia's welcome of King Salman and the Saudi Arabian delegation has been widely praised in the Saudi Arabian and larger Arab media.

Correct me if I am not wrong here but it is not usual for Putin (Russia) to welcome head of states in Kremlin's Green Parlour.

DLX3769XcAAyzVm.jpg

564018c8-49b0-4b1e-8ab3-813a474ef119_16x9_788x442.jpg

This was a nice sign of respect and showed the importance that Russia placed on this unprecedented state visit. A first ever.

Lastly, while I prefer not to mix foreign policy with religion (Islam in this case), it seems that the reaction from the 20 million or so Muslim Russians, have also been very positive to this visit of King Salman.

Can you tell me who is operating the current Patriot batteries in KSA, and who are the people being sent for THAAD training?

:lol:

Martians that speak Arabic and who happen to be from KSA. Amazing, I know!

Finally Saudi learned the lesson hard way American air defense systems were not stopping Yemeni missiles lol. A blow to America on loss of customer and this deal might help bringing peace in Syria and Yemen.

Stop trolling and posting baseless claims and Houthi propaganda that you are unable to proof with even a single video. Not a single Houthi (stop calling it Yemeni as the Yemeni government and almost entire Yemeni military is on the side of the Arab coalition and KSA, only those loyal to the former incompetent dictator, Ali Abdullah Saleh are not included here - Houthis and Saleh loyalists are fighting in Sana'a right now moreover - shows what you know!) missile managed to make any disturbance and 99% of them were shot down. The few that were not shot down immediately hit empty mountains, desert or farmland when shot down. Here I am not talking about scuds but artillery which cannot be fully prevented when fighting occurs in mountainous border regions where there is not even a natural border post other than mountains. Sometimes houses are located 500 meter apart from each but lie in two different countries (KSA and Yemen).

Last edited by a moderator:

You don't know what you are talking about. The Patriot turned scuds into fireworks. Hardly anyone in the Saudi deep south is worried about scuds.

Are you mentally retarded.

I am not trolling and not making any false claims

Yemen-Missile-Timeline-Feb-2017_web.jpg

These are the one admitted by Saudis.

So what was the need for S-400 then if the deal was for relations could have bought something more use full. Please don't think people are idots. lol

Are you? It seems so.

Admitted by who and when? Why don't you provide evidence of your claim? Show videos of those supposed strikes (that nobody has seen) and find me evidence of anything that has not happened, being "admitted".

What don't you understand? Artillery shells falling across a mostly heavily mountainous border that spans almost 2000 km where towns are sometimes located just across each other (sometimes 500 meters or a few km's apart as I wrote), all type of shelling cannot be prevented.

You are the one that needs to find another thread to pollute, destroy and troll in as you do not understand that KSA does not need to have any immediate enemy for it to be able to protect itself, its people and resources in the best manner possible. Having the best systems that money can buy is a part of this. You seem incapable to understand this.

Don't waste my time again.

@The Eagle kindly prevent this informative thread from turning into nonsense as the user that I am quoting (who is trolling too) has a long history of doing so in KSA/Arab-related threads.

Basically few Saudi trolls were trying to hide the actual need for S-400 by trolling wrong prospective. Why buy Russian Air defense and ditch American.
@The Eagle the statistics i have provided are verified by most trusted missile watch dog.

https://i1.wp.com/missilethreat.csis.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Yemen-Missile-Timeline-Feb-2017_web.jpg?resize=1024,543&ssl=1
Negotiations for the S-400 between KSA and Russia started in 2009, so fist it has nothing to do with the actual war in Yemen, second, how many missiles did hit Russia, China and India in order for them to buy or see the need for the S-400 system?

Saudi Arabia agrees to buy Russian S-400 air defence system
By Reuters
Published: October 5, 2017
16SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1523665-download-1507217870-147-640x480.jpg

A frame grab taken from footage released by Russia's Defence Ministry November 26, 2015, shows a Russian S-400 defense missile system deployed at Hmeymim airbase in Syria. PHOTO:REUTERS

MOSCOW: Saudi Arabia has agreed to buy Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile systems, Saudi-owned al Arabiya television reported on Thursday.

The report came during a visit by Saudi King Salman to Moscow.

The countries also signed a memorandum of understanding to help the kingdom in its efforts to develop its own military industries, a statement from state-owned Saudi Arabian Military Industries said.

ADVERTISEMENT

SAMI said the MoU with Russian state-owned arms exporter Rosoboronexport came in the context of contracts signed to procure the S-400, the Kornet-EM system, the TOS-1A, the AGS-30 and the Kalashnikov AK-103.

Saudi king heads to Russia, with oil, investment and Syria on agenda

It not specify the number of each system or the value of the procurement deal.

It said the procurement was “based on the assurance of the Russian party to transfer the technology and localise the manufacturing and sustainment of these armament systems in the Kingdom”, but provided no timeframe.

A number of deals have been signed during this week’s trip by King Salman to Russia, the first by a Saudi monarch.

I presume Iran will not be pleased by this. Thought Russia was in their corner, from weapons to Syria. Are the Saudis no longer interested in ousting Assad too? Interesting times.
Iranians know that Russia goes after it's interests but the problem here is with the people who thought that turkey and KSA will go against Russia in Syria but what happened is the apposite both turkey and KSA are improving their economic and military ties to Russia

Saudia and Russia were at odds over Syria just an year back and all a sudden this visit. Russia wants money regardless of anything. I won't be surprised they will even sell S-400 and Su 35s to Pakistan on immediate basis "if" we pay them.

That's a very big DAAAAMMMMMMMMMM from me , KSA will have worlds best Air defence.............. If Russia selling S-400 to KSA , then I am 100% sure Pakistan can have that too. Russia will sell them to Pakistan , If we have money........ Forget India or Indian influence.

Back
Top Bottom