What's new

Satellite and GPS role

PK_Patriot

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
What is satellite and GPS role in situation of war? GPS is american technology and how much US has control over it (US can stop any time, start anytime, deceive any time with wrong information) ?

I think US has ability to stop GPS system during war and GPS coordinates are very important for targets as they precisely defines where to hit. Cruise missiles and other strategic missiles use this technology. If US stop them for a region what to do with these missiles tech ?

Yea cruise missiles uses GPS system. Russian have their own system of positioning system. Chinese don't have any if I remember correctly ! Difficult situation for Pakistan!

Yea cruise missiles uses GPS system. Russian have their own system of positioning system. Chinese don't have any if I remember correctly ! Difficult situation for Pakistan!

You sleeping Beidou I and now II.

Beidou 2 system will be completed in 2020, 3 satellites in beidou 1 ...... wake up, it is morning in canada !

Stick to topic and don't get personal...It is known that Chinese do not release entire information regarding how they use satellites. I do not want to get into details about their ever new coming out ICBMs large number of current ICBMs and MIRV and other weapons that would require the used of Beidou...They do not share the specifics and entire information on usage however you may draw any conclusion.

By the way informative Article not entirely accurate.
http://web.mit.edu/stgs/pdfs/Forden Chinese Nav Sats SciGlobSec31.pdf

I think US has ability to stop GPS system during war and GPS coordinates are very important for targets as they precisely defines where to hit. Cruise missiles and other strategic missiles use this technology. If US stop them for a region what to do with these missiles tech ?

The US owns the "GPS" system and there are competing systems being put into place by various countries (GLONASS, BeiDou, etc). The US reserves the right to manipulate this system during wartime.

However the US is looking into backup technologies in case the satellites are not available.
Darpa’s New Navigation Tool Is Smaller Than a Penny | Danger Room | WIRED

Back
Top Bottom