What's new

SAPMs, judges, others allotted plots in Islamabad’s new sectors

muhammadhafeezmalik

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1629439263130.png

Chief Justice of Pakistan Gulzar Ahmed has been allotted a plot in Sector F-15/3.

Two aides to the prime minister, judges of the superior judiciary and top bureaucrats are among the successful applicants for allocation of residential plots in Islamabad’s F-14 and F-15 sectors, according to a list posted by the Federal Government Employees Housing Authority (FGEHA) on its website after ballot on Tuesday.

Federal Housing Minister Tariq Bashir Cheema chaired the proceedings. Over 4,500 applicants were declared successful.

According to the list, Chief Justice of Pakistan Gulzar Ahmed has been allotted a plot in Sector F-15/3.

Dr Waqar Masood Khan, the Prime Minister’s Special Assistant on Finance (SAPM), was given a plot in F-15/4, while Dr Shahzad Arbab, the SAPM on Establishment, got a plot in Sector F-14/2. Both of them had applied for plots before their retirement from government service.

Judges of the superior judiciary, as well as those of the subordinate judiciary, and a few journalists have been placed in Category I — plots measuring one kanal.

The allottees include former chief justices Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry and Anwar Zaheer Jamali. The latter’s wife, Justice Ashraaf Jahan of the Sindh High Court (SHC), was among the successful applicants as well.

Eight incumbent judges of the apex court featured in the list. They are: Justice Umar Ata Bandial, Justice Qazi Mohammad Amin Ahmed, Justice Maqbool Baqir, Justice Mazhar Alam Khan Miankhel, Justice Sardar Tariq Masood, Justice Aminud Din Khan, Justice Ijazul Hassan and Justice Sajjad Ali Shah.

Seven retired judges of the Supreme Court were declared successful. They are: Justices Ejaz Afzal Khan, Manzoor Ahmed Malik , Amir Hani Muslim, Iqbal Hameedur Rehman, Rana Mohammad Shamim, Sheikh Najamul Hassan and Riaz Ahmed Khan have also been allotted plots.

Two former directors general of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) — Ghalib Bandesha and Bashir Memon — a former inspector general of Islamabad, Tahir Alam, Orya Maqbool Jan, the Secretary to Cabinet Division Ahmed Nawaz Sukhera, a number of other federal secretaries and bureaucrats working in BS-22 and 21 are among the allottees. (Orya Maqbool Jan was the strong critic of this plot policy, however he applied for one and was successful. Hippcracy at its best.)

Six district and sessions judges of Islamabad figure on the list. They are: Kamran Basharat Mufti, Raja Jawad Abbas Hassan, Mohammad Bashir, Tahir Mehmood, Wajid Ali and Shahrukh Arjumand.

Nine additional district and sessions judges were declared successful. They are: Abida Sajjad, Rakhshanda Shaheen, Atta Rabbani, Raja Asif Mehmood, Jahangir Awan, Iram Niazi, Faizan Haider, Mohammad Adnan and Zeba Chaudhry.

While the judges of all the provincial high courts have been allotted plots in F-14 and F-15, not a single judge from the Islamabad High Court was among the applicants.

Full List of Allotees

IHC ruling

Chief Justice Athar Minallah of the Islamabad High Court had upheld identical petitions against the acquisition of land for the two sectors in his judgement of Oct 2017.

“The entire machinery involved in the acquisition of land through the police force, from the chief commissioner to the land acquisition collector, has a financial interest in the foundation — to get a plot at a price lower than what it would fetch through a transparent sale,” Justice Minallah noted.

“The beneficiaries (of both sectors) are serving or retired officers and employees of federal ministries, divisions, attached departments… judges of the superior courts, i.e. the honourable Supreme Court, all the high courts, Azad Jammu and Kashmir Supreme Court and the Chief Court and Supreme Appellate Court of Gilgit-Baltistan, as well as the Federal Shariat Court.”

Criticising the allotment of plots to the judges of Islamabad’s district courts, the judgement said these judges who “would ultimately hear and decide references of the affectees under section 18 of the Acquisition Act, have either already availed the benefit or have applied to the foundation for plots, thus... having a personal financial interest in the cases before them”.

The Supreme Court had, however, set aside the IHC verdict.

A four-judge special bench, led by Justice Mushir Alam and also comprising Justice Umar Ata Bandial, Justice Qazi Faez Isa and Justice Ijazul Ahsan, reserved its judgment on January 14 this year.

According to the FGEHA’s list of applicants and allottees available on its website, seven of the serving judges of the apex court have applied for plots in the scheme.

Advocate Hassan Mann, who pleaded the matter on behalf of affectees of land acquisition at the IHC, had said the real issue is that the land is being acquired for the benefit of a privileged class. However, this land could fetch more than Rs500 billion to the exchequer, if auctioned on a commercial basis.

He had said: “This is a case concerning public revenue. Instead of generating revenue for public exchequer, the FGEHA is usurping the sovereign privilege of eminent domain to line the pockets of its members.”

The beneficiaries of FGEHA scheme are serving or retired officers and employees of federal ministries, divisions, attached departments and judges of the superior courts – the SC, all high courts, Azad Kashmir Supreme Court and the Chief Court and the Supreme Appellate Court of Gilgit-Baltistan and the Federal Shariat Court, Mann said earlier.

Supreme Court judge Justice Qazi Faez Isa, in his additional note, declared that laws governing civil and armed forces personnel do not entitle them to receive residential plots, commercial plots or agricultural land.

"The prevailing practice of granting State/public plots and land to members of the Armed Forces is contrary to the Constitution and the law. Laws can also not be enacted to enable such allotments/grants because if enacted these would violate the Constitution (Articles 24, 25, 205 and 227). The Constitution does not permit self-enrichment and personal aggrandizement."

"During the period of Hazrat Umar (RA) at one occasion such a situation had arisen with regard to some land and the Mujahideen demanded distribution of the said land to them but the Caliph refused to give the said land to the Mujahideen with the consideration that Islam strictly prohibits the establishment of an individual interest in State property in preference to the public interest."

The judge also said that the leaders of the freedom movement, the All-India Muslim League, who created Pakistan, amongst whom were many who had lost their own homes, did not take a single square inch of land. These proud freedom fighters of Pakistan were also not remunerated nor pensioned. They spent from their own pockets to create Pakistan. Their only motivation was a burning desire to serve the people. The constitutional goal of ‘creating an egalitarian society’ is undermined when public land furtively finds its way into private hands, he adds.

"The judiciary and the armed forces of Pakistan are patterned on the British model. Land is not given away to judges and to the members of the armed forces in Britain, in the United States of America nor in any commonwealth country, with the singular exception of Pakistan. At the time when the subcontinent was captured and ruled by the East India Company, and later when it came under the direct rule of the British Crown, British officers, soldiers and judges, whether deployed in the subcontinent or serving at home, were not conferred land."

Last edited:
Dear all,

There is another perspective as well. My late father retired from Civil Service as a Grade 20 Joint Secretary in 2009. Since 2007-08 onwards he was very excited that govt. is contemplating about giving sector f-12 to govt. servants. Mind you civil servants dont get any other plots/homes other than from FGEHA that too once.

In 2009 when he retired we didnt have any govt. subsidized plot or home given to him for his 33 years of civil service. He sold some of his ancestral land to buy a 7 marla home in Rawalpindi. Yes there are honest bureacrats as well who don't make illegal money.There are billionaires as well.

In 2014 he passed away, from 2016-17 we had been listening about f-14/f-15. My mother applied in a widow quota and luckily despite very small quota for widows around 1% she finally got it. We were made to submit 1.5 million immediately (partial installment) in 2017 and development was to commence immediately.

But alas our judiciary and Qazi Faiz Essa, some locals despite getting paid for the land by gov. kept on taking stay orders for more money from the govt., faiz essa was angry at govt. and bureaucrats and kept on giving dates after few months. In the meanwhile we were asked again to submit 1.5 million ( and were told unofficially that the total price would be around 5 million). we submitted 3 million by 2019 jan/feb.

Then after 2.5 years of legal battles, FGEHFoundation being changed to FGEHA ( A for authority) and god knows what finally after 7 years of my father's death, 12 years of his retirement, 45 years of him joining service and working honestly, we have been finally allotted a piece of land in F14. Yet we are told that the price might have been jacked up 70-100% so we might have to pay a total of 8-10 million istead the 5 million initially approximation. If the price goes anything beyond 6-7 million it will become difficult for us to pay and we would have to sell our plot to a property dealer. Does this benefit indicate that bureaucrats are leeching the taxpayers money? I am strictly talking about honest ones.

I-8 was launched in mid 90's, in early 2000s G14 was launched and after nearly 18 years finally a sector has been launched. Since it has been declared I am tired of people criticizing it. Yes those who get multiple plots from govt, do criticize them, be it military judiciary or journalists, BUT dont generalize everyone! My fathers brother who is about to retire from GRADE 21 in the next year had paid 3 million for this sector but his name didnt come and the chances of his name coming in the second and last ballot are slim, if it doesnt happen then GOD knows when a new sector will be launched, how many legal battles will be there and when will he get something.

PS. Before anyone tells me that bureacrats get too much salaries and stuff, my father's last salary was 73K in 2009. My first job's salary after graduation was 50K. Things are not that rosy for an honest person!

Regards

Dear all,

There is another perspective as well. My late father retired from Civil Service as a Grade 20 Joint Secretary in 2009. Since 2007-08 onwards he was very excited that govt. is contemplating about giving sector f-12 to govt. servants. Mind you civil servants dont get any other plots/homes other than from FGEHA that too once.

In 2009 when he retired we didnt have any govt. subsidized plot or home given to him for his 33 years of civil service. He sold some of his ancestral land to buy a 7 marla home in Rawalpindi. Yes there are honest bureacrats as well who don't make illegal money.There are billionaires as well.

In 2014 he passed away, from 2016-17 we had been listening about f-14/f-15. My mother applied in a widow quota and luckily despite very small quota for widows around 1% she finally got it. We were made to submit 1.5 million immediately (partial installment) in 2017 and development was to commence immediately.

But alas our judiciary and Qazi Faiz Essa, some locals despite getting paid for the land by gov. kept on taking stay orders for more money from the govt., faiz essa was angry at govt. and bureaucrats and kept on giving dates after few months. In the meanwhile we were asked again to submit 1.5 million ( and were told unofficially that the total price would be around 5 million). we submitted 3 million by 2019 jan/feb.

Then after 2.5 years of legal battles, FGEHFoundation being changed to FGEHA ( A for authority) and god knows what finally after 7 years of my father's death, 12 years of his retirement, 45 years of him joining service and working honestly, we have been finally allotted a piece of land in F14. Yet we are told that the price might have been jacked up 70-100% so we might have to pay a total of 8-10 million istead the 5 million initially approximation. If the price goes anything beyond 6-7 million it will become difficult for us to pay and we would have to sell our plot to a property dealer. Does this benefit indicate that bureaucrats are leeching the taxpayers money? I am strictly talking about honest ones.

I-8 was launched in mid 90's, in early 2000s G14 was launched and after nearly 18 years finally a sector has been launched. Since it has been declared I am tired of people criticizing it. Yes those who get multiple plots from govt, do criticize them, be it military judiciary or journalists, BUT dont generalize everyone! My fathers brother who is about to retire from GRADE 21 in the next year had paid 3 million for this sector but his name didnt come and the chances of his name coming in the second and last ballot are slim, if it doesnt happen then GOD knows when a new sector will be launched, how many legal battles will be there and when will he get something.

PS. Before anyone tells me that bureacrats get too much salaries and stuff, my father's last salary was 73K in 2009. My first job's salary after graduation was 50K. Things are not that rosy for an honest person!

Regards

He must have obtained retirement benefits like PF, Gratuity , commutation, earned leaves etc. of about 5-6 millions.

So he must have been able to buy a plot in Westrage Rawalpindi or Behria Town Islamabad.

For instance, the price of a 1 kanal plot in G-13, which was around Rs3 million or Rs1.5 million for 10 marla plot in 2011, Similarly, in one of the most expensive sectors of Islamabad, S-11, the average price of plot of 1 kanal rose from around Rs22.5 million

He must have obtained retirement benefits like PF, Gratuity , commutation, earned leaves etc. of about 5-6 millions.

So he must have been able to buy a plot in Westrage Rawalpindi or Behria Town Islamabad.

For instance, the price of a 1 kanal plot in G-13, which was around Rs3 million or Rs1.5 million for 10 marla plot in 2011, Similarly, in one of the most expensive sectors of Islamabad, S-11, the average price of plot of 1 kanal rose from around Rs22.5 million

it was around 3.5 million in total, plus there are other financial requirements as well as buying a house! Children's education, marriages etc. In 2009 the price of a plot in DHA-2 was around 8 million, the houses in askari were around 15 million.

Dear all,

Regards

So these plots that are allocated? Do people have to pay for them or are they given for free? It sounds like you have to buy one? Are they sought after because they are cheaper than market value?

Excellent reward by government....lol those rewarded have some common attribute...such a systematic draw..

So these plots that are allocated? Do people have to pay for them or are they given for free? It sounds like you have to buy one? Are they sought after because they are cheaper than market value?

We have to buy them, but at discounted market rate! 3 million has been submitted by people for 1 kanal plot since 2018 approx, total price has not been announced, previously it was expected to be around 5 million, now rumors are it will be around be 8-9 million.

It must be noted so far this is just a chunk of land, with native owners structures still intact. It will take some years before roads , sewage, water lines etc will be laid by FWO, then possession will be given. The official time for all this is 1.5 years 2022 december.

But it must be noted that G13 lifestyle apartments for which govt. servants paid 8 million approx was supposed to be handed over in 2017, 4 years later and govt. contractors are still working on it. The safe guess (rather optimistic) guess would be 2025 when we might get possession. Right now property dealers are offering own money to govt. servants who cant manage plot cost (8-9 million).

Excellent reward by government....lol those rewarded have some common attribute...such a systematic draw..
The scheme was announced in 2016 during NS tenure, the lists and offer letters were issued on the basis of seniority (age wise). The initial plan was for F-12 by Mush govt., he couldnt proceed, PPP came and wanted a chunk , NS came and had other plans for f-12 , so the focus was shifted to f-14. ALl those who got plots allotted on tuesday were issued letters and gave initial payments during NS tenure!

The legal battles delayed the project otherwise possession was initially targeted for 2018 (before elections).

The scheme was announced in 2016 during NS tenure, the lists and offer letters were issued on the basis of seniority (age wise). The initial plan was for F-12 by Mush govt., he couldnt proceed, PPP came and wanted a chunk , NS came and had other plans for f-12 , so the focus was shifted to f-14. ALl those who got plots allotted on tuesday were issued letters and gave initial payments during NS tenure!

The legal battles delayed the project otherwise possession was initially targeted for 2018 (before elections).
Elite favors themselves ...

Why ? Don't they get paid for their job like monthly ? If I remember a judge salary is close to Rs 1 million PKR (excluding the perks). Can't he afford a plot ? Same goes for bureaucrats.

Why ? Don't they get paid for their job like monthly ? If I remember a judge salary is close to Rs 1 million PKR (excluding the perks). Can't he afford a plot ? Same goes for bureaucrats.
Its a government policy every government employee is eligible for it

Keep milking this poor thin cow. Let us see how long you'll be able to milk it before it stops giving any milk.

Back
Top Bottom