What's new

SAM system based on Nasr missile

Status
Not open for further replies.
54435654_1966378030141038_2997152127609995264_o.png.jpg
SD-10A is as big as Nasr.

Difficult challenge not impossible

Land to Land Missiles are assuming a fixed target on ground at a far distance and thus they calculate the vertical trajectory and then the return trajectory. These are using similar math which ancient weapons used to throw objects in air and they calculated the distance and where approximately this object would fall

SAM , surface to air missiles have to track a moving object in air , they must have a radar system and then target acquisition system . The information has to be transferred to the missile at light speeds , so that the missile can make in flight adjustments in order to intercept and make a hit on target. The technology around radar etc is also susceptible to Jammers so various techniques are needed to protect the radars of modern SAMSs. Multiple radars can also be used in tandom to improve accuracy

The incoming missile can change course and make correction itself which is why a super computer can be used to predict the path of the object. The math , and stats used to calculate the path of these objects is quite complex and various off the shelf systems can be used to replicate these math /stats calculation.

Only few nations like USA, Russia , France or China have combined knowledge on such grand scale to come up with working SAMs , as it has been a 40-50 year journey for them to learn from their experimentation

8-)

Pakistan could use the Anza targeting system to custom construct a low altitude missile defence launched from a truck perhaps 10-15 missile if they were serious about it

Also it is 100% possible to use chinese Air to Air missiles and convert them into Ground to Air missiles

However with Open supplies of HQ-19 missiles from China their is low interest to experiment with local solution

Pakistan have always known to keep few aces up their sleeves​

Last edited:
I was thinking if it would be possible to develop Nasr into a SAM.

Will it need a new motor because it has to be more manueverable?

Well;

It is doable but challenging. India converted Prithvi SRBM into Prithvi Air Defence (ABM/BMD). But then again Prithvi SRBM itself was derived from Soviet SA-2 SAM. Nasr's conversion would require revamping the missile. New C4I system would need to be developed, as well as new warheads, seekers, etc. Buying a medium range SAM system from a friendly country would be more cost-effective. But it is also my opinion that Pakistan should focus on developing indigenous SAM. I bet the boys at NESCOM would be more than happy to do it. Their major problem would be funding. The new breed of engineers is quite innovative.

Sky Dragon 50 type launcher with PL-15 missiles coupled with HT-233 Engagement radar will be good solution from China.

The motor and rocket fusalage can be used.’l
The guidance system, warhead and software will be new.

I was thinking if it would be possible to develop Nasr into a SAM.

Will it need a new motor because it has to be more manueverable?
A good idea:) Lets see what other members especially the senior ones say?
@Horus

No ... Nasar is a rocket motor ... Normally Ground to Air or Air missiles are jet propulsion as rocket motor is too powerful or unstable to direct and manuver in specific direction ...

We need ramjet engines to make a SAM ... Rocket motor can be used as inital booster but not for whole flight

Elaborate please.
Also i believe certain BVRAAMs can also be used as SAMs at the cost of reduction in range though.

@Oscar Please leave a comment here.
Dear both SAM and BVRAAM share lot of common things. For one, they are both meant to engage flying maneuvering objects. A tactical ballistic missile is NOT!

I see some people here saying that we may only be able to use the casing of NASR but they are wrong. We cannot even use that. Need a new casing that is more agile and have better control surfaces as required for a anti-aircraft missile, chasing a maneuverable aircraft. Not to mention the radars seeker, ECCM etc. Not sure about Nasr speed either as we will want Mach 4.5-6 speed for a SAM or BVRAAM. Also note that unlike Nasr this new SAM will be chasing a twisting and turning aircraft so it needs to be able to provide sustained power in that maneuvering flight.

@RAMPAGE I understand if the quad-packed launch system of Nasr makes you think about SAM but NOTHING from Nasr can/will be used in this new SAM. :)

and having said all this, you know what is the most important thing? NONE OF IT MATTERS!! The thread is 4 years old guys. Thank @Goenitz who brought it back to life after some 4 years and then everyone joined in.

Thread closed. Old thread on non-viable option

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom