What's new

Sadistic cheers

Humanist

Reaction score
The start

Travelling teams often say the best way to play in the subcontinent is to first silence their crowds. Virender Sehwag applied the principle to India's neighbours. It had been a long and frenzied build-up to the event, and Bangladesh was a potential banana-peel game for India, especially if the crowds got on top of them. The first ball of the match gave Sehwag the slightest amount of width, and he crashed it past cover for four. World Cups don't get off to more explosive starts.

The cheers

The loudest, sustained cheers from a sell-out crowd were sadistic ones. The first was when Sehwag was hit by a short ball somewhere between his pad and thigh pad; they went mad as he went down. Virat Kohli later misread the bounce of another short one, and inside-edged onto the area between his thigh pad and the box. He bent over in pain, and the roof of the stadium came off again. To rub salt into his wound, the giant screen showed three replays of the hit before the next delivery. Each was greeted by a loud cheer.

Those replays were conspicuous in their absence later in the innings when Mushfiqur Rahim was hit in the face by a ball that bounced in front of him. It was in fact the longest period of silence at the Shere Bangla Stadium, as Mushfiqur received treatment.

I don't understand why people bring personal emotions into sport. Just chill out and enjoy it FFS!

Lack of sportsmanship, i must say..
The crowd must have thought that if u can't stop them then injure them.

coming from a country who called symonds a ******* ..i mean biggest example of sportsman ship in the history of world.so you shouldnt say these things,and in mumbai by the crowd...that is PAtheTic to say the least

Lack of sportsmanship, i must say..
The crowd must have thought that if u can't stop them then injure them.

what cricinfo which is infested with indian reporters trying to prove with such a stupid article.Bangladeshi crowd was not as bad as kolkata crowd two instances of which we have seen in 1996 semifinals and indo-pak test match.btw indian crowd is the most unsporting/pathetic crowd on the subcontinent.

yeah I noticed it too.

I remember one incident in eden in 96's world cup. Roshan Mahanama played a superb innings before getting injured and crowd started cheering his departure. It was pretty shameful. However Eden also showed it's sporting nature against Pakistan.

It happens when you want your team to win very badly.

I noticed this too. in fact a lot of members posted about it in the match thread too. I guess the few moments of happiness they got in an otherwise embarrassing defeat, they capitalised on.

Cmmon guys... I think it is but obvious how Cricket is a religion in the subcontinent and sure it is bound to attract such emotions.

Having said that... I was impressed by the chase BD put up.... pathetic Indian fielding... :tdown:

When indian batsman reached 50's and 100's,,, there was pin drop silence in the stadium...... i have very closely watched cricket from last 25 years but never saw this kind of response....
it seems dreams were shattred very badly...there was party on the roads of bangladesh in morning before the match as if they already won the match...But ironcally stadium was empty before the match presentation....

BTW,i loved the way Virat Kohli treated Rubel Hussein in the verbal altercation!
IDK what Rubel said.But
Virat:Bho$d! k,teri m@@ k! cho_0t,jaa ball daal.
HAHA and Rubel's face was laughable.Love you Virat!

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

When indian batsman reached 50's and 100's,,, there was pin drop silence in the stadium...... i have very closely watched cricket from last 25 years but never saw this kind of response....
it seems dreams were shattred very badly...there was party on the roads of bangladesh in morning before the match as if they already won the match...But ironcally stadium was empty before the match presentation....

Yeah,Bangladeshi crowd seemed to be ill mannered anyhow.
Well certainly in India,the achievements of the opposition players,is treated with an applause,at least.

Back
Top Bottom