What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

Hi why have J31 and J20? What is advantage of J20?

I would think J31 has better stealth profile and is cheaper to produce?

Why is J20 so much bigger?

This is also has become my question for some time now. PLAAF tend to love bigger aircraft, it seems.

This is also has become my question for some time now. PLAAF tend to love bigger aircraft, it seems.
No. We need bigger jet because we have same needs as Russia, large land to be covered. But mid weight jets are always needed for front line combat.
The mid weight jets are much easier to maintain and requirement of runway is lower, even 6-8 lanes free way is ok for emergent landing.

China is large country with large area to cover therefore large fuel tanks long range and fast fighter is preferred. J-20 is capable of Mach 2.5 max and has more fuel to burn in case of emergency engaging fighters far at sea before enemy fighters, bombers could get beyond striking range. FC-31 is made for stable low speed maneuverability like F-35 and F/A-18 therefore it is less aerodynamic being slower with shorter combat radius.

Hope the J-35 will be different fighter being larger meant for catapult launch and is not FC-31.

J-10 is not a big aircraft ...

Not necessarily ... just because the FC-31 is a smaller aircraft does not mean it has a smaller RCS
In single engine category, J10 is larger than most of them.

Till when China ramphs up the production of J-31C/J-35...:china::pakistan:
Chill out ... we haven't even see any pictures of the J-35 yet. Its maiden flight is scheduled for next year. Only after a couple years of prototyping will it enter mass production and possibly be available for export.

In my opinion the probably best image of the second FC-31 demonstrator no. 31003 in full reheat.

(Image via 云上铁翼/https://lt.cjdby.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2647979&extra=page%3D1)

FC-31V2 31003 full AB - 20200906.jpg

is the J31 REALLY just a techology demonstrator? It has ALL the makings of a true air superiority fighter that can butcher the f22s & f35s with its ultra long range AAMs. I would be very disappointed if the PLAAF does not induct these warbirds in mass.

is the J31 REALLY just a techology demonstrator? It has ALL the makings of a true air superiority fighter that can butcher the f22s & f35s with its ultra long range AAMs. I would be very disappointed if the PLAAF does not induct these warbirds in mass.

It's moved past that or they wouldn't have wasted time on this bird. We might see induction in the future PLAAF and possibly even PAF.

Back
Top Bottom