What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

PLAAF is still looking for a “light weight” stealth fighter that is relatively economical, can be produced and procured in mass, and is complementary to PLAAF top of the line fighter J20. ....

Are there any reports concerning CAC's entry into this “light weight stealth fighter" request for proposal?

Are there any reports concerning CAC's entry into this “light weight stealth fighter" request for proposal?
As far as I know, there is no official report. I don’t think there will be any report until the plane is inducted in numbers.

As far as I know, there is no official report. I don’t think there will be any report until the plane is inducted in numbers.

Well, then doesn't that just leave the FC-31 as the sole runner in the competition?

Well, then doesn't that just leave the FC-31 as the sole runner in the competition?
Well theoretically there is nothing to stop CAC to come up with an alternative design. They probably need to consider 3 things 1) how much spare design capacity can be diverted from their main line, namely J20. 2) depending on 1), how likely can their proposal be vastly superior compared to FC31 in meeting the requirements. 3) what is the likelihood of their proposal being selected by the military and therefore having monopoly in the business, which would imply SAC and its army of sub contractors may run into difficulty or even go under when the work of 3-gen fighters starts drying up in the future.
On the other hand, there is in no hurry of making a rushed decision for PLAAF on the lightweight given FC31 and the CAC theoretical proposal will reply on the new engine that is being working on, which means there is still some time for SAC to fine tuning their work. Should SAC decides that they are in the position to come up with an new fighter, should they go after the top of the line fighter opportunity for Navy or go after the lightweight one for PLAAF? I think they will go big and design a new heavy fighter for Navy aviation.

Well theoretically there is nothing to stop CAC to come up with an alternative design. They probably need to consider 3 things 1) how much spare design capacity can be diverted from their main line, namely J20. 2) depending on 1), how likely can their proposal be vastly superior compared to FC31 in meeting the requirements. 3) what is the likelihood of their proposal being selected by the military and therefore having monopoly in the business, which would imply SAC and its army of sub contractors may run into difficulty or even go under when the work of 3-gen fighters starts drying up in the future.
On the other hand, there is in no hurry of making a rushed decision for PLAAF on the lightweight given FC31 and the CAC theoretical proposal will reply on the new engine that is being working on, which means there is still some time for SAC to fine tuning their work. Should SAC decides that they are in the position to come up with an new fighter, should they go after the top of the line fighter opportunity for Navy or go after the lightweight one for PLAAF? I think they will go big and design a new heavy fighter for Navy aviation.

The new SAC proposal for the heavyweight naval fighter is also supposedly based on the FC-31. CAC can certainly go their own way but if SAC chooses to press ahead with its FC-31 variant then it can produce results far more quickly.

The new SAC proposal for the heavyweight naval fighter is also supposedly based on the FC-31. CAC can certainly go their own way but if SAC chooses to press ahead with its FC-31 variant then it can produce results far more quickly.
Agree but I guess if SAC wants to compete Navy’s heavy fighter, they needs a lot more than “tweaks” to get FC31 into the heavy class. Navy’s top of the line would need to be at least the same size of J20, preferably a little larger, in order to carry more fuel and ammunition. Given FC31 currently 13-14 ton weight, it needs to be enlarged 40% to reach 19-20 ton class (like F14). Certainly SAc can keep the same layout, but the additional changes are enormous.

Last edited:
Agree but I guess if SAC wants to compete Navy’s heavy fighter, they needs a lot more than “tweaks” to get FC31 into the heavy class. Navy’s top of the line would need to be at least the same size of J20, preferably a little larger, in order to carry more fuel and ammunition. Given FC31 currently 13-14 ton weight, it needs to be enlarged 40% to reach 19-20 ton class (like F14). Certainly SAc can keep the same layout, but the additional changes are enormous.

Where did you hear that the PLAN wants a "heavy" fighter? The current rumor is that the PLANAF wants a medium-sized heavyweight fighter, roughly comparable in size to the F-35. Another credible blogger, pb19980515, has made extensive claims that the fighter will have a 14 ton empty weight and will be based on the FC-31.

Where did you hear that the PLAN wants a "heavy" fighter? The current rumor is that the PLANAF wants a medium-sized heavyweight fighter, roughly comparable in size to the F-35. Another credible blogger, pb19980515, has made extensive claims that the fighter will have a 14 ton empty weight and will be based on the FC-31.
The PLAN has not acknowledged it but it is obvious to see that the requirement of a heavy fighter for PLAN. That being said, it is not an imminent requirement as PLAN is still in the process of building up its AC numbers and J16 is a capable 4-gen heavy fighter at this stage, which is sufficient for a number of years until China’s coast is completely surrounded by F22/F35. A global Navy aviation force needs heavy fighter, one that is heavier and more capable than their Air Force counterpart due to limitations and vulnerability of aircraft carriers, USN has well demonstrated this in F14 vs F15 in 4-gen.

A medium size “low” fighter is clearly required too, which will complement the heavy one and may be inducted first but the top of the line heavy fighter is the medium term goal.

PLAn is not inspired to be a coastal defense force but a global one, meaning its fighter will face others’ top of line land based fighters. A 14 ton medium fighter alone is not going to have any edge in that fight.

Last edited:
There is a rumor that FC-31 has got the orders from PLAN (J-35?), and will not be to Zhuhai Airshow-2018.
Wait and see...

草根设计师-CAD
今天 15:53 来自 iPhone客户端
小二黑,口水鸡,
终于有了第一本户口本:海35
lxhwahaha_org.gif
lxhwahaha_org.gif

e0482873gy1fwh1ubla5mj20m80e0wfj.jpg

Can anyone provide a direct translation please?
Deino you don't need to take it very seriously. These are just two very nasty men bragging about FC-31's PLAN adoption again, even giving it a made-up designation J-35 (If translated into English it would be F-35 and I think you know what I mean).

This J-35 instantly makes what they said completely falsehood.

They have been doing it every one month or so, for some purpose, making themselves infamously zero creditability. People laugh at these clowns and say they are having periods. In Chinese culture, this is not helping but just ruining SAC.

Last edited:
Deino you don't need to take it very seriously. These are just two very nasty men bragging about FC-31's PLAN adoption again, even giving it a made-up designation J-35 (If translated into English it would be F-35 and I think you know what I mean).

This J-35 instantly makes what they said completely falsehood.

They have been doing it every one month or so, for some purpose, making themselves infamously zero creditability. People laugh at these clowns and say they are having periods. In Chinese culture, this is not helping but just ruining SAC.

What makes you say that pb19980515 has no credibility?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom