What's new

SAC - FC-31 Grey Falcon Stealth aircraft for PAF : Updates & Debate

JF17 is NOT a solution for everything, it is good JF17 is getting good updates but that does not mean JF17 has become a one man army, no. PAF needs new fighter jets & in my opinion FC31 is a good pick by PAF & they should go for it.

Now old & dead mirages are real concern here, PAF should go for J10B to replace them. I will say thing again JF17 is NOT a one man army & hence PAF should not see JF17 as only solution.

Pakistan should opt for it 100% TOT , and share of knowledge with Chinese Private Company
This would be a great strategic asset to have to make visits to New Delhi for special ocassions

TOT & sharing of knowledge is the best thing to go for.

Pakistan continues to proceed with improvements to its JF-17 Thunder jet fighter program, but the recent Zhuhai air show also revealed possible longer term ambitions to acquire stealth aircraft, namely the Shenyang FC-31.

According to Pakistan officials at Zhuhai, progress is being made to improve the JF-17’s avionics and software, and to fix a probe.

Kaiser Tufail, analyst, author and former air commodore, said these upgrades may not require the aircraft to be sent back to the factory at Pakistani Aeronautical Complex, Kamra, but could be handled locally at unit level.

“As flight trials with different weapons are getting completed, it is time for hardware and software upgrades. I am not sure if these would be done at unit level or factory level; perhaps the former.”

Though the upgrades are not a radical departure from the Block I standard, Tufail nevertheless has “no doubt that they would improve the operational readiness considerably” for the Air Force.

What the future holds for the fighter is uncertain as details of a Block III variant have not been revealed, and Tufail says at present “no one seems willing to talk about them.”

Similarly, analyst Usman Shabbir of the Pakistan Military Consortium think tank said only reasonable speculation can made at present.

“Block-III is conceptual right now but most likely will see an AESA radar, HMD [helmet-mounted display] and some other avionics improvements. I am not sure if the airframe will be further modified for RCS [radar cross-section] reduction or airframe life enhancements. We just have to wait and see,” he said.

The perennial question regarding the JF-17, however, is its hitherto lack of export orders. Shabbir highlights the disruption facing the fighter’s most likely customers, but is still optimistic.

“Many of the countries that are probable JF-17 buyers have had political or financial turmoil but it is highly likely that an order will be won in 2015.”

Nevertheless, Pakistan revealed that a squadron of 18 JF-17s recently took part in a major exercise in western China, which marks the type’s first large-scale deployment.

Meanwhile, although Pakistan’s apparent interest in the FC-31 has caused a stir, Tufail maintains such an aircraft is not required.

“It seems to be a knee-jerk statement without much substance at this point in time,” he said.

“While stealth capability is welcome, the long-range capability that goes with this aircraft may be an overkill for an Air Force that is configured primarily for tactical air support to surface forces,” he said.

“Besides, a concerted strategic bombing campaign to decimate the enemy’s war-fighting capability needs months to achieve results. That option is a non-starter for nuclear-armed belligerents, as much as it is for the rest of the world, which can’t sit back and watch the dangerous escalation,” he added.

“So, I stick to my previously professed contention that it is tactical fighters that we need first and foremost. Two dozen or so stealth fighters seems more of a ‘fashion’ statement.”

He also highlights a perennial concern for Pakistan that may rule out the FC-31; “Who has got the money? Not Pakistan.”

Whether a Pakistani order for the FC-31 will materialize is unclear, though there will be an eventual need to replace the F-16, which is Pakistan’s most potent front-line combat aircraft.

Analyst, author and former Australian defense attaché to Pakistan, Brian Cloughley, said the FC-31 is a likely candidate, but perhaps not for some time.

“It’s being described in some quarters as an export machine, but that is bound to take a long, long time. Certainly there will have to be some sort of replacement for the F-16s, and it won’t be European or Russian, for obvious reasons, so it must be China,” he said.

“I think we can bet on the FC-31.”

Pakistan Continues JF-17 Upgrades, Possible Interest in FC-31 Emerges | Defense News | defensenews.com

Hi,

I missed that news---could you plz elaborate. Thanks.

Sir, read the above quoted post.....

Pretty sure this thread will end up the same way as with the J-10B "FC-20" reports.
First it was "Coming sooN".
Next it was "coming"... when yours truly said it wont be
Then it was "Probably coming".
Finally it became "We never wanted them anyway".

This aircraft is NOT coming unless or until a massive cash injection is made into the PAF. The rest of the visits and rumours are all just that; sightseeing.

@Oscar Sir

I believe that for China making a new J 31 is easier ;considering Twin engines
and new avionics including AESA ; A bigger airframe ie more space
than making a JF 17 BLOCK 3 with AESA ;RCS reduction ; composites ie a new airframe

You have earlier said in Another thread that AESA in JF 17 will require
redesigning the airframe since it requires more space as well as cooling equipment

A single engined Jf 17 with RD 93 has its limitations in what all equipment
can be fit into it

@Oscar Sir

than making a JF 17 BLOCK 3 with AESA ;RCS reduction ; composites ie a new airframe

redesigning the airframe since it requires more space as well as cooling equipment

can be fit into it

YES

I stated that the AESA requires a cooling solution, nothing more.

Korea is Looking towards to his own sustainable and reliable program but it mostly based on western system. Korea is happy to help Pakistani friends in MBT K2 too as it much advance tank. However, fighter KAI KF-X is still progress and Pakistan can be participate in it.
we already have Al Khalid, and we're quite satisfied by it.

Pakistan Plans To Buy Chinese FC-31 Stealth Aircraft

China on Friday ignored questions about Pakistan plan to procure the fourth generation stealth fighter aircraft FC-31 Shenyang, according to a media reports.

Thanks for showing nonsense , something of great importance is not going to be talked about in the media for everyone's joy but you don't have to worry because this will take place in years to come then you can read all about it all over again .

Last edited:
@Oscar Sir

can be fit into it
What about the Gripen, The F-16, The Mirage 2000, they are all single engined !?
I think what is concerning you the most is the variety of weapons the JF-17 is already capable of carrying, they are just awesome, and still growing. With an AESA radar they will become more potent yet. As for the RD 93 engines, they are more than enough as stop gap.

Thanks for showing nonsense , something of great importance is not going to be talked about in the media for everyone's joy but you don't have to worry because this will take place in years to come then you can read all about it all over again .

You just contradicted yourself, without ever realizing it.

On one hand it is something of a great importance, and on the other it is nonsense.

Pretty sure this thread will end up the same way as with the J-10B "FC-20" reports.
First it was "Coming sooN".
Next it was "coming"... when yours truly said it wont be
Then it was "Probably coming".
Finally it became "We never wanted them anyway".

This aircraft is NOT coming unless or until a massive cash injection is made into the PAF. The rest of the visits and rumours are all just that; sightseeing.

Pardon me for jumping into thread which is nothing more than a fan boy's dream as truly highlighted by Oscar above. I spent some early days on this forum and had a chance get along with some really nice members like WindJammer, Oscar, Mastan Khan, Blain, Jana shah, Neo, Sir Muradk.

So my point is I came back into this forum after such long time and saw members still brigging about an aircraft which is not even being manufactured or so called completed. Induction with PLAF itself is far ahead. Personally I would love to carry on and comment on stuff which we already have or perhaps already ordered. A country which is already starving while having an exceptional poverty rate is even facing an hard time affording F-16 project alone. History of long lived sanctions on procuring spares and other military equipment for the last few decades has also left a dent on military modernisation. Political turmoil and sheer corruption while becoming a lethal termite has eaten us away and our inner beings. Thanks to few cost effective projects like JF-17 & Al-Khalid we still hold some honor to speak proudly about indigenously produced gear.

Summing up in short to say; we currently owe over USD13 Billion to IMF alone, procuring such projects in near future is far from reality however modernisation will stay effective probably and surely through by other means.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom