What's new

SAC - FC-31 Grey Falcon Stealth aircraft for PAF : Updates & Debate

The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) is in talks with China to buy 30 to 40 of the Shenyang FC-31 twin-engined stealth fighter displayed at Airshow China 2014 in Zhuhai, a senior Pakistani government official has revealed to IHS Jane's .

"The discussions are beyond initial inquiries and they fit into the pattern of Pakistan being the first export customer of Chinese [military] hardware," said the official.

The FC-31 was unveiled as an export model at Zhuhai, although a prototype with the J-31 designation has been flying at a Shenyang Aircraft Corporation facility since 2012.

In 2007 then air chief marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed, who at the time was PAF chief of staff, told IHS Jane's that Islamabad was considering the purchase of up to two squadrons or 30 to 40 of Chengdu J-10 fighters.

Airshow China 2014: Pakistan in talks to buy '30-40 FC-31s' - IHS Jane's 360
Dam we are already in talks that is fast thing to do we should also go for new Cruise Missiles displayed by China I am talking about Air variant but still production would start at least by 2018 and if our economy seriously improves by than than 3 squadrons or in other words having 54 Jets by 2020 and 2022 would be great

its a med to long term prospect - 2018-2020. FC-31 would need a lot of development and evaluation with PAF wanting many modifications and western systems.
its a good start

That u won't get in a chinese 5 gen aircraft,,,one of the side effect of chinese:angel:
Evenindia will have problems in getting western stuff in pakfa if russia continues to rile the west

Something inevitable,Perfectly fit PAF doctrine

pakistan-air-force-stealth-aircraft-f-60-j-21-j-18.jpg

Dam we are already in talks that is fast thing to do we should also go for new Cruise Missiles displayed by China I am talking about Air variant but still production would start at least by 2018 and if our economy seriously improves by than than 3 squadrons or in other words having 54 Jets by 2020 and 2022 would be great

Those cruise missiles are untested as of now

It is a 5th generation fighter. What do you expect it to use, in avionics, radar and so on ?
the engine is, well we all know is a stop gap for the prototype. And what the Chinese mean with it , is , if the J-31 can perform well on a "sh***" engine, you can expect its performance to be greater with a better (in production) Chinese engine.

Last edited:
The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) is in talks with China to buy 30 to 40 of the Shenyang FC-31 twin-engined stealth fighter displayed at Airshow China 2014 in Zhuhai, a senior Pakistani government official has revealed to IHS Jane's .

"The discussions are beyond initial inquiries and they fit into the pattern of Pakistan being the first export customer of Chinese [military] hardware," said the official.

The FC-31 was unveiled as an export model at Zhuhai, although a prototype with the J-31 designation has been flying at a Shenyang Aircraft Corporation facility since 2012.

In 2007 then air chief marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed, who at the time was PAF chief of staff, told IHS Jane's that Islamabad was considering the purchase of up to two squadrons or 30 to 40 of Chengdu J-10 fighters.

Airshow China 2014: Pakistan in talks to buy '30-40 FC-31s' - IHS Jane's 360
30-40 means 3-4 billion $.that's a whole budget of PaF itself so what they will do with rest of the fleet :O

It is a 5th generation fighter. What do you expect it to use, in avionics, radar and so on .
the engine is, well we all know is a stop gap for the prototype. And what the Chinese mean with it , is , if the J-31 can perform well on a "sh***" engine, you can expect its performance to be greater with a better (in production) Chinese engine.

A very evasive answer telling me nothing.:coffee:
Making an engine is no joke,,till i see the stats on manufacturer's website i have no trust8-)

30-40 means 3-4 billion $.that's a whole budget of PaF itself so what they will do with rest of the fleet :O

Bhai jaan,we will considering signing the deal most probably in 2018-19,by than our Budget will be more than enough considering we are all set to change our base year of GDP next year.

A very evasive answer telling me nothing.:coffee:
Making an engine is no joke,,till i see the stats on manufacturer's website i have no trust8-)
Confidential, Secret, Top secret.
You are too curious for now, when the specs would be out, you'll know.

Confidential, Secret, Top secret.
You are too curious for now, when the specs would be out, you'll know.

It will never have 360 aesa coverage ,,nor the l band aesa iff.
That we already know.

As for the engine india will have a 180 kn engine in 2020-21,idz 30 and it will be an upgrade over 117s of su-35.
Needless to say better than whatever chinese come up with.

Any air force doesnt buy and pay on one day there are always payment terms i m sure one`s who are negotiating knows way better then us .

Bhai jaan,we will considering signing the deal most probably in 2018-19,by than our Budget will be more than enough considering we are all set to change our base year of GDP next year.

Also the payment will be made over many years.
Still costly proposition.

The bigger thing to worry about will be performance if ws series engines are not ready,,then only option left will be rd-93

its a med to long term prospect - 2018-2020. FC-31 would need a lot of development and evaluation with PAF wanting many modifications and western systems.
its a good start

I think more better if Pakistan can license produce the FC-31 with necessary Pakistan specific modification and upgrade .

We are talking about a 2018-2020 timeline for the procurement, This gives enough time to arrange funding, better assessment of the plane, proper evaluation, required modifications etc. It is very early to jump on conclusions that who will Pakistan arrange for money or who the will the plane perform or whether we will require some western systems and will they be allowed! lots of things can and will change in theses 5/6 years. It is good news that PAF have registered there interest and we can now go ahead from here.
What is really pleasing for me is that 2018/2020 timeline means that we will keep on working on JF-17 future blocks. I am very optimistic about the future role of JF-17 in PAF. Not investing in J10 also seem to be a good move now considering that we can keep working on JF17 (as it is necessary for us now) and in about 5/6 years can go to fifth generation plane.

Back
Top Bottom