What's new

SAC - FC-31 Grey Falcon Stealth aircraft for PAF : Updates & Debate

Neither was FC-1/JF-17 choosen by PLAN/PLAAF, yet it has flourished into a very capable fighter for PAF.

At the end of the day, the same reason which prohibited the PLAN/PLAAF from inducting JF-17 exists for FC-31 as well. The quantitative demand for fighters in China is great enough to warrant highly specialized fighters, instead of "Jack of all trades" such as JF-17 or FC-31.

Whereas PAF most likely prioritizes the element of multi-purpose more than anything else. 8-)

Selecting JF-17 for PAF, IMHO, wasn't the smartest choice. I think J-10 with better payload and range also inducted into PLAAF, would have been a better choice. And we wouldn't have been crying for F-16s from US. PAF (and all armed forces of Pak) have habit of glorifying their toys, it does not change the regional balance of power. JF-17 is short legged, also pointed out by Tofail kaiser, a veteran and legendary PAF pilot.

My point is, if the manufacturing nation inducts a platform in her own Airforce/Navy, it gives a great boost to the program itself. It actually accelerated the development process, makes the unit cost to come down. There has been lots of criticism of JF-17 not being inducted in PLAAF. I assert my point of view that inducting J-31 without being inducted by PLANAF is far below the ideal situation.
@Windjammer, @MastanKhan @Dazzler

Hi,

Paf has become an extremely unpredictable and unpatriotic organization---. The nation needs to start to decide what needs to be done regarding the purchase of the airforce.

Just like your dozens of other posts on the PAF fiascos, I agree with you on this one as well. The nation need to know these stories and they deserve better. I urge you that for a change please stop your knowledgeable discussion solely from your smart phone or laptop and submit a petition to make you the air chief.... as it is apparent that you can think, anticipate and take calculated and farsighted decisions better than individuals who have spent a life time in PAF.

I think FC 31 project will come into production much more later compared with anticipation. maybe it will never come into production.

First photographs of the v2.0 prototype have appeared. It seems that the FC-31 is still going on!

160522cnr9enjtb3hz996a.jpg

160518wskaadwzaax9vkn4.jpg

160525j3io0v1zfwm2fww7.jpg

160517uee3332333215wt3.jpg

JF17/FC-1 was go ahead because the numbers needed by just PAF around 200-250/275 made it viable plus some export 100-200 w/o PLAAF

JF-31 I do not think PAF would go for that big no max 40-80 (guess as F16 replacement in 15 years or so) so its better it goes after something low risk with a/c order my another partner like Turkish or PLAAF J-20, J-20 may not be av. now but in future it can be to PAF

F-31 is a possibility if someone else makes a big order like ME country or Egypt and then PAF follows

My 2 cents

The FC-31 v2.0 prototype has been completed. It might make its maiden flight soon.

bfb71f65gw1faf4toouf7j209e06fmx6.jpg

3b9bbf9d9c3fcfd479363fb46939df6f.jpg

By the looks of this pic , jet's surrounding has been cut in photoshop.....and as the canopy is open and the tail stabilizers are down , i guess in a day or 2 it will make its first flight. Already the picture hints that a fully functional prototype is standing outside

better to buy J-31
i would prefer that make little effect on the JF-17 to become stealth and more light
changing their design like J-31 nearly
with single Engine better chinses Enging with good grade

J-31 is the perfect fit for PAF, since it shares the same engine as the JF-17 (RD-93, later WS-13E). Pakistan will be able to have a much easier time maintaining the fleet compared to a plane that uses WS-10 or WS-15. In addition, JF-17 could simply use a simplified version of J-31's advanced avionics and radar for its future upgrades. Did I mention they will likely share commonality in weapon systems too?

J-31 is the perfect fit for PAF, since it shares the same engine as the JF-17 (RD-93, later WS-13E). Pakistan will be able to have a much easier time maintaining the fleet compared to a plane that uses WS-10 or WS-15. In addition, JF-17 could simply use a simplified version of J-31's advanced avionics and radar for its future upgrades. Did I mention they will likely share commonality in weapon systems too?
when it comes to internal weapons bays missile versions matter..as fins and size of missile may or may not fit

Back
Top Bottom