What's new

Saab just unveiled its attempt to outdo the F-35

A good choice for Pakistan. That is, IF we can get them.

What! I thought you were going to buy our F35! or should I say have us pay Lockheed for you to have our F35. :)
All kidding aside, why do you pakistanis on a drop of a hat dump your BFF China, when a western country offers something? I thought you were going to go for the chinese 5th gen aircraft. You've claimed its superiority before it is even benchmarked so why bother, let alone setting aside the funds for it.

I think as long Saab is in talks with India about the possibility of India choosing Gripen, Pak kan kiss bye it. If India refuses then there might be a chance.

No, Pakistan needs to finish off the insurgencies, and have a stable democracy,
so the Army must no longer be perceived to influence daily policy.

Greece, under the Junta did not qualify, and neither did Chile.
Nowadays both are fine (but have no cash :-)

What! I thought you were going to buy our F35! or should I say have us pay Lockheed for you to have our F35. :)
All kidding aside, why do you pakistanis on a drop of a hat dump your BFF China, when a western country offers something? I thought you were going to go for the chinese 5th gen aircraft. You've claimed its superiority before it is even benchmarked so why bother, let alone setting aside the funds for it.

Only an idiot would claim China's 5th gen fighters are better than the Western ones, with the exception of the F-35, but that is up for debate.

We never 'dump' China, we just always go for what's better.

Correct,

JAS Gripen is a no-no, and when Pakistan was interested in Gripen C (F-16
were not shipped), Pakistan got the same answer.
All countries in the Middle East would get a no as well.

EriEye is defensive, so sales are OK.

Exactly. Sweeds are very different to most Europeans...Calvanists to the core. Have always tried to stand by their principles.. As an European I can vouch for their integrity. Wonderful people!

Only an idiot would claim China's 5th gen fighters are better than the Western ones, with the exception of the F-35, but that is up for debate.

We never 'dump' China, we just always go for what's better.
you just called half of this forum , idiots. :disagree:

Last edited:
Actually they have quite a defined jet fighter market. So far they have managed to save it from Russians and Chinese. And they are always under fear to lose it to these two giants, specially Chinese. So the people who dont buy US or French , buy Swedish. Its like drink Pepsi if you dont have Coca-cola.

Not Pepsi, Julmust.

image.jpeg

During Christmas and Easter, Swedes drink "MUST".
They are normally not sold during the rest of the Year.
Sales of all other softdrinks drop dramatically, for about one month around X-Mas.

This odd habit is known at the top level of Coca Cola headquarters,
and they always give 50% discount during those period, still not
able to keep sales up, LOL...

All of Europe like sweden have some idealistic tendencies, Hence things like eu exist

Correct, selling to Pakistan would violate Swedish Law.

JAS Gripen is a no-no, and when Pakistan was interested in Gripen C (F-16
were not shipped), Pakistan got the same answer.
All countries in the Middle East would get a no as well.

EriEye is defensive, so sales are OK.
But it is bad business move as it does not hurt them but Sweden itself. It is still not anywhere closer to EFT 2000 or Su-35s, the only attraction might be the price.

No, Pakistan needs to finish off the insurgencies, and have a stable democracy,
so the Army must no longer be perceived to influence daily policy.

Greece, under the Junta did not qualify, and neither did Chile.
Nowadays both are fine (but have no cash :-)

Didnt Thailand under its current military Junta get some Gripens? Otherwise I agree, it is highly unlikely that Pakistan will be considered for this given the strict Swedish sales policy. A small maybe under Moderaterna but definitely not under socialdemokraterna.

All of Europe like sweden have some idealistic tendencies, Hence things like eu exist
EU is an endangered species especially after BEXIT. There are no ideals or principles in the international politics.

EU is an endangered species especially after BEXIT. There are no ideals or principles in the international politics.

i mainly believe north europe is different Germany, Holland and Nordic countries

Old news really. Sweeds even ban weapons sales to Saudis as well. Kindly consult the net for confirmation.

Also, what difference it makes to your country. You JF is in the same leauge or will get there with newer blocks.
So, you could count it as a blessing if you like.
I am not saying PAF will buy it as they were not much excited about Grippen either but just as an option. It is better than Grippen but does not offer anything exclusive or even better than what is already available. You are right, JF-17 Blk III with IRST; AESA and other EW/ECM will be better for PAF in all respects i.e. configurability, upgradation, price, political restrictions and technology.

Backup your statement with an authentic source about the official positiom of the Swedish govt since using two Swedish flags on pdf does not make you an official representative of Sweden. As this will be a bad move by Sweden to restrict the sales of its product especially when it is does not offer an exclusive edge which is not available through competition (Rafael, EFT, M2k, Su-35s etc) and Sweden has faced a lot of difficulty in selling its Grippen for being expensive and did not offer anything extra. Furthermore, Sweden wanted to sell Grippen to Pakistan but the deal couldn't go through because (1) PAF was not very excited (2) USA did not allow the sale of its engine and but ironically USA wanted PAF to buy its F-16 block 52+. If PAF really wanted it, Pakistan could have negotiated with and convinced USA but it did not put any effort into that at all.
keep all in mind what you said why would we want to buy this aircraft anyway

No, but the data link allows a JAS to keep the radar off,
while using the radar data from another fighter to launch a missile,
Once the missile is launched, control is passed to the radar emitting fighter,
and the fighter launching the missile turns away.

Since the RCS of JAS is pretty small even with some external stores,
they will not be easily detected when the radar is turned off.
The radar emitting fighter can stay 100+ km away, while the others
are 50 - 60 km away without beeing detected.

Opposing fighters has continuous problems with this fighter tactics,
especially now when Meteor is combat ready.

The Swedish Government has no intentions to allow SAAB to sell Gripen to Pakistan.

I don't buy that. External weapon stores and lack of angle shaping will significantly increase RCS. That will put you at massive disadvantage compare to F-35.

Back
Top Bottom