What's new

Saab India Chairman offers Gripen E over MMRCA deal to India

cost will not come down by half lol still will be around $80 million
I know, that's what I said. Not even 80 million, it would be higher. I think it's better to get a Rafale that costs 110 million than a gripen for 80-90 million. Besides, operating cost - which was gripen's trump card - has gone up from 4,500 dollars/hour to 27,000 dollars per hour - making it costlier than Rafale to operate. I don't know how they managed to do that, but apparently they did.

Maybe their hope is that their costs for ToT and weapons could be significantly lesser than Rafale's. Otherwise I don't know why they even bother to make a pitch.

flyway cost $113M ! ! !:o: rehney de beta ! ! ! you will get eurofighter in that price lol
well wait for LCA mk2 which
will be below $50M , which
will be still cheaper than
JAS-39 NG lol
appke ish baat se hum 100% sehmat hei. Instead of wasting money on NG its better to buy more & more LCAs ( raam jaane kab FOC milega) .

I know, that's what I said. Not even 80 million, it would be higher. I think it's better to get a Rafale that costs 110 million than a gripen for 80-90 million. Besides, operating cost - which was gripen's trump card - has gone up from 4,500 dollars/hour to 27,000 dollars per hour - making it costlier than Rafale to operate. I don't know how they managed to do that, but apparently they did.

Maybe their hope is that their costs for ToT and weapons could be significantly lesser than Rafale's. Otherwise I don't know why they even bother to make a pitch.

Their one & only aim is to milk out indian tax payers money. I knew their ilintentions as soon as they wanted 51% stake of the JV. Their goal is simple, milk out every panny possible in the name of r&d then retain most of the profit made for them.
No gonna happen Mr. Chairman of Saab India,Lars-Olof Lindgren.

Last edited:
appke ish baat se hum 100% sehmat hei. Instead of wasting money on NG its better to buy more & more LCAs ( raam jaane kab FOC milega) .

Their one & only aim is to milk out indian tax payers money. I knew their ilintentions as soon as they wanted 51% stake of the JV. Their goal is simple, milk out every panny possible in the name of r&d then retain most of the profit made for them.
No gonna happen Mr. Chairman of Saab India,Lars-Olof Lindgren.

sp1 test flight done today

FOC in Mar / Jun 2015

series production has started

sp1 test flight done today

FOC in Mar / Jun 2015

series production has started
"Has started" is misleading. SP1 and SP2 will be manufactured and handed over to the IAF for familiarizing. But I think serial production will only start after geting FOC.

Those are the same thing. Gripen E/F is Gripen NG.

Not exactly, Gripen NG is a tech demonstrator based on the older airframe. Gripen E/F is meant to get the newly developed techs and modifications, but is meant to get an own prototype as the base, which still wasn't rolled out and that's possibly for good reasons. The evaluations in India, Switzerland or Brazil were mainly done by Gripen C/Ds and theoretical specs for the Gripen E/F, but the more the development goes on, the more the specs seems to change from the plans. Emptyweight was aimed at roughly 7100Kg, while recent specs push it more towards 7600Kg and more. That obviously will change TWR, speed, range or payload from the promised once, so without having an actual Gripen E prototype that will be the base for the production, you can't actually say what the final performance will be, since there can be a lot of differences to the NG.

Those are the same thing. Gripen E/F is Gripen NG.

I thought it was older Gripen E.by the way,the version they flew in India was probably Gripen 39-7 E/F.so don't know whats new in this offer here..

LCA is almost finished and finalised.What you can see infuture is that IAF entire lightweight fighters series will be LCA and its upgrades.

I thought it was older Gripen E.by the way,the version they flew in India was probably Gripen 39-7 E/F.so don't know whats new in this offer here..

They did the MMRCA trials with Gripen C/D and did the Leh trials with Gripen NG later, but the final product we would have got, always was the Gripen E/F.
The "new" offer has nothing new in terms of the fighter itself, they only state that they would be ready to form JV's with Indian partners, if the MMRCA is changed according to the newer policies, or to build Gripen E/Fs like that even apart from the MMRCA in addition to a Rafale or EF procurement. So the offer actually doesn't mean anything, other than Saab is trying to react to the make in India PR of the NDA government, but unless the MoD scraps MMRCA and re-issue it with the modification of the tender to team up in JVs, Saabs chances are next to zero in India.

Predictable news but irrelevant all the same.

The Gripen took part in the MMRCA competition and was dropped due to an inability to meet the IAFs technical specifications. That avenue is closed (as the SAAB CEO is conceding). Now offering the Gripen on top of the MMRCA is just not viable, the IAF has shown zero interest in adding yet another fighter type in its inventory and especially not a LCA killer.

Also note that it has been SAAB and the EFT consortium have been the two MMRCA losers who have lobbied the hardest in the past few months as news of the Rafale deal inching closer has come out.....

Also note that it has been SAAB and the EFT consortium have been the two MMRCA losers who have lobbied the hardest in the past few months as news of the Rafale deal inching closer has come out.....

But why are they doing that? Because there is no improvement in the negotiations with Dassault (since early this year we hare the Dassault CEO stating that the deal is expected by the end of the year), nor did the Indian side (former or new MoD) made a clear statement about the Rafale and their commitment to it as the only option.
This fact keeps the uncertainty of the deal open to lobbying or changes, not to mention that French officials are lobbying as hard for the Rafale.

But why are they doing that? Because there is no improvement in the negotiations with Dassault (since early this year we hare the Dassault CEO stating that the deal is expected by the end of the year), nor did the Indian side (former or new MoD) made a clear statement about the Rafale and their commitment to it as the only option.
This fact keeps the uncertainty of the deal open to lobbying or changes, not to mention that French officials are lobbying as hard for the Rafale.
It really doesn't mean anything, this is a massive deal and it would be foolish for rivals not to lobby hard for it whether they are picking up on signals of the deal not going foreword or just lobbying for the sake of lobbying is unclear but it is certain what they are doing is perfectly understandable. The fact that from the GoI, IAF and Dassualt all are on the same page is positive news all the same.

It really doesn't mean anything, this is a massive deal and it would be foolish for rivals not to lobby hard for it whether they are picking up on signals of the deal not going foreword or just lobbying for the sake of lobbying is unclear but it is certain what they are doing is perfectly understandable. The fact that from the GoI, IAF and Dassualt all are on the same page is positive news all the same.

Not really, as there is not a single "positive" statement of the new MoD towards Rafale, the DM only stated that the negotiations are going on and that Dassaults proposal is complying to the RFP. Nothing on when the deal is expected to be signed and as I said, even Dassault hasn't stated anything new for the whole year, it's always the "hope" to fix the deal by the end of the year. If they openly were on the same page and would make it clear that all sides are trying to fix the deal as soon as possible and that Rafale is the only choice, other vendors wouldn't bother anymore.

But @sancho don't you think that a manufacturer like Saab which doesn't have as much share of the market as the bigger players do would be more amenable to tech transfers than say Dassault or the manufacturers of the Eurofighter would be ?

Saab doesn't have much to offer. They are mostly eclectic mix of products.

India can't relay on so many partner or provider for one product.

Back
Top Bottom