What's new

Saab India Chairman offers Gripen E over MMRCA deal to India

Of course, but does Brazil get any ToT of the radar and engine, are there any contracts with Selex or GE about the production of parts in Brazil? The back end of the radar is based on the puls doppler radar of the Gripen C/D if't I'm not wrong.

I don´t think so! The engine, for example, is US made. Saab wont be able to do any ToT.

I don´t think so! The engine, for example, is US made. Saab wont be able to do any ToT.
Sure, but you can get seperate contracts with GE or Selex, especially when there is the aim to order up to 100 fighters or so. Btw, are the F5s used from FAB in the A2G role or mainly in A2A?

Sure, but you can get seperate contracts with GE or Selex, especially when there is the aim to order up to 100 fighters or so. Btw, are the F5s used from FAB in the A2G role or mainly in A2A?

Our F-5EM can do both, but for A2G we use mainly the AMX A-1EM.

All in all it shows that the fears about Gripen E being an unsure option for India were valid. Saab would never had been able to provide fighters according the Indian time lines, nor to share key techs, not to mention that the performance might be lower than advertised and now even this.
Btw I asked about the F5s, because if they were mainly used for A2A only you could replace them and the AMX (dedicated strike fighters) with far less numbers of multi role Gripen. The speculated around 100 fighter requiement was always based on the total number of fighters in the current fleet, but not on how many of them are dedicated to A2A or A2G, which can influence the total ammount of Gripens too.

All in all it shows that the fears about Gripen E being an unsure option for India were valid. Saab would never had been able to provide fighters according the Indian time lines, nor to share key techs, not to mention that the performance might be lower than advertised and now even this.
Btw I asked about the F5s, because if they were mainly used for A2A only you could replace them and the AMX (dedicated strike fighters) with far less numbers of multi role Gripen. The speculated around 100 fighter requiement was always based on the total number of fighters in the current fleet, but not on how many of them are dedicated to A2A or A2G, which can influence the total ammount of Gripens too.

I understand your point of view, my friend!

For sure, Gripen E would not meet the India schedule, and the technology shared would be limited to SAAB
technology. Personally, I find ToT a despicable trick. Why would you want to give away your crown-jewels?

Argentina is under blockade by the West, because of its behaviour, India and Brazil is not.

Personally, I find ToT a despicable trick. Why would you want to give away your crown-jewels?

To gain an advantage to sell your product, the US fighters come with political advantages, Russian fighters with low procurement costs, European fighters with ToT and industrial advantages.

To gain an advantage to sell your product, the US fighters come with political advantages, Russian fighters with low procurement costs, European fighters with ToT and industrial advantages.

Obviously the interfaces to all equipment should be available for integrating your own stuff,
but to give away information, allowing your customer to compete with You is shortsighted.

Obviously the interfaces to all equipment should be available for integrating your own stuff,
but to give away information, allowing your customer to compete with You is shortsighted.

That's why you normally don't give away critical techs, but basic ToT for the production of certain not important parts, unless we are talking about the biggest fighter competition in the world, then the demands are higher.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom