What's new

Saab India Chairman offers Gripen E over MMRCA deal to India

There has been talks all the way about up to 120 fighters, and the Brazilian Government probably knows
what its intentions are for the future.
Part of the deal is also comarketing on the world market, and You won't sell without production capacity.

Perfect!

First they need to be able to afford them and if they would go for so many more soon, they would had increased the deal already, to not pay $150 million dollar each. Considering that even these 36 are meant to be delivered only by 2024, it's likely that they could go for armed drones to replace AMX fighters for example, not to mention that 5th gen fighters will sooner or later play a role too.

Deliveries will start in 2019 and will be completed in 2024.
If You google, You will find that my statement on 15 beeing assembled in Brazil
seems to the common view.

New Gripen deal calls for 15 aircraft to be assembled in Brazil - IHS Jane's 360
Brazil Signs Deal With Saab To Buy 36 Gripens | Defense News | defensenews.com

Also I read that about 25% of the contract is maintenance, and as previously mentioned,
leasing Gripen C/Ds is outside the contract.

It is a good offer. India should take it for now. F-35 for later. India's entry into American camp is inevitable- because Russia and China have too many common interests. Non-aligned makes no sense now when we are going to have a super-power neighbor.

Had a mail conversation with a journalist attending the tel conference.

"I listened to the Saab teleconference from London and Lennart Sindahl said at the beginning that at least 15 planes to be finally assembled in Brazil. Then he was asked again and he replied 15 planes. He talked about the different production lines in Sweden and Brazil, and that these should not duplicate each other."

I guess this means that each plane will be partially produced by both.

Deliveries will start in 2019 and will be completed in 2024.
That's what I'm saying, the last fighter will be delivered by 2024 only, so any follow deal will be done in a decade or so even if the FAB has the requirement to replace around 100 fighters in total. But by then warefare changes too and not every current manned fighter needs to be replaced by another manned fighter anymore, especially dedicated strike fighters like the AMX or IAFs Jags. I'm sure they will go for more Gripens to replace to replace the F5s, but if they go for 100 or more, in a timeframe beyond 2030 might be questionable.

If You google, You will find that my statement on 15 beeing assembled in Brazil seems to the common view.

I don't say that you info is wrong, but that if it's true, it would be pretty disappointing for Brazil.

• only the 22nd fighter assembled in Brazil

• first fighter only by 2019

• 20% higher cost than earlier expected (still figuring where that came from)

• empty weight 8000Kg

A lot of things had changed from the expectations and when I remember right, Dassault offered to assemble even the 7th fighter in Brazil and a total fo 30 fighters, instead of just 15 Gripens now. Not to mention that it could had been done now, since the Rafale is already available.
For Saab and the Gripen this order is cruicial of course, but for Brazil it gets less than expected and only additional orders from Brazilian or export orders will benefit their industry.

Last edited:
For Saab and the Gripen this order is cruicial of course, but for Brazil it gets less than expected and only additional orders from Brazilian or export orders will benefit their industry.

I totally agree with you!

Can you confirm from Brazilian officials statements that only 15 are meant to be assembled?

Since they say that the production lines will not be duplicated, I think this means
that planes that are assembled in Sweden will have components manufactured in Brazil.

Since they say that the production lines will not be duplicated, I think this means
that planes that are assembled in Sweden will have components manufactured in Brazil.

I really hope so... The fact is that Saab changed few things in comparison with what was said before.

What would have been the cost of the deal or cost per aircraft for India , had India selected grippen as MMRCA ..?

What would have been the cost of the deal or cost per aircraft for India , had India selected grippen as MMRCA ..?

We should add about $100M to the price of each aircraft on any deal, until all Indians learn how to spell "Gripen" :-).

I asked my jounalist contact if she could find out the flyaway cost for Brazil.

Gripen is auto corrected to the name grippen by apple dictionary ...

You can charge apple 100 million for that ..:sick:

For 39 aircrafts 5.4 billion $ , that's @ 150 million per craft roughly

Then in would cost approx 18 - 19 billions for 126 aircrafts for India that's similar to rafale :o:

I hope this calculation is totally wrong for even rough estimate...
I can't even imagine how rafale would cost then...:bad:

But wouldn't that mean that they will produce parts for the Swedish order too? Didn't found any remarks on that so far. Also what is the estimated Brazilian content in the Gripen at the end, are there any official estimates? Dassault offered 50% indigenous content in Brazil and 70% in India.

You can't equate the system cost for 36 fighters with an order of 126, since that depends on different factors besides the numbers, only the flyaway cost will remain the same.

We should add about $100M to the price of each aircraft on any deal, until all Indians learn how to spell "Gripen" :-).

I asked my jounalist contact if she could find out the flyaway cost for Brazil.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom