What's new

Russia's military greatly downsized & incapable of even occupying long term and policing Ukraine

American Eagle

MILITARY PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
It seems Russia's military forces have shrunk and they will be unable even to man necessary key points if they blundered into Eastern Ukraine.

Russia had to send in Minister Laboraf (spelling?) to get it's few Spetznatz led militia groups to free the European Observer Officers held for almost two weeks, now released.

Despite the Odds, Putin May Still Invade Ukraine

clip_image001.jpg
During his annual live call-in show last week, President Vladimir Putin told viewers that he would not send Russian troops into the southern and eastern regions of Ukraine. That is a sure sign he is planning an invasion in the near future. After all, Putin also recently said Russia's Army and Federal Security Service are not involved in any way in eastern Ukraine. Nobody takes that claim seriously, especially when a vigilante "people's governor" in Slovyansk appeals to Putin to deploy Russian peacekeeping forces in the Donetsk, Luhansk and Kharkiv regions.

A quick defeat of the weak Ukrainian Army is guaranteed, but Russia's rapid-deployment force is not strong enough to occupy several Ukrainian regions.

Moscow canceled a planned U.S. surveillance flight over Russian territory last week which would have fallen under the Open Skies Treaty. Such flights are the only legal option available now for obtaining objective information about the military situation at the Russian-Ukrainian border. But on Monday, a Open Skies Treaty intelligence flight was conducted over Russian territory, according to a State Department official.

Western sources estimate that anywhere from 20,000 to 50,000 Russian troops have assembled along the Ukrainian border. NATO's Supreme Allied Commander Europe, U.S. Air Force General Philip Breedlove, recently said Russia had concentrated enough forces to march all the way across Ukraine to the self-proclaimed Transdnestr republic in only five days.

With the Ukrainian Army in complete disarray and the authorities in Kiev unable to formulate clear orders for its law enforcement agencies, few factors stand in the way of Putin following his Crimea game plan to invade eastern and southern Ukraine. According to a April 2article in Vedomosti, a number of Russian forces could be sent to join possible operations in Ukraine. These include units from the Kantemirov 4th Guards Tank Division and the 2nd Guards Motorized Infantry Division from the Moscow region; the 76th Guards Airborne Assault Division from Pskov; the 31st Guards Airborne Assault Brigade from Ulyanovsk; the 106th Guards Airborne Assault Division from Tula; and the 23rd independent Motorized Infantry Brigade from Samara. In all likelihood, this list also includes Special Forces of the Main Intelligence Directorate. These are practically all of Russia's elite units.

Former Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov's military reforms were primarily aimed at ending the concept of a mass-mobilization army that had prevailed in Russia for almost 150 years. Serdyukov rejected the myth that hundreds of thousands of conscripts could quickly and effectively fill the ranks, opting instead to form a dozen battle-ready groups composed of professional soldiers who can deploy within hours of receiving orders. The world witnessed Russia's new rapid deployment capability during its Crimean special operation.

The question is whether Moscow will manage to follow the same scenario in eastern and southern Ukraine. When the Kremlin began creating its rapid-deployment forces, it had no idea it might need them to capture Ukraine. Once international coalition forces withdraw from Afghanistan, radical Islam threatens to spill over into the former Soviet republics of Central Asia. Russia shares an even longer border with Kazakhstan than it does with China, and that border exists more on paper than in fact. Russia is hurriedly forming rapid deployment forces to counter this potential threat. They will probably include four divisions and five brigades of airborne troops, four brigades and eight individual regiments of Marines, units of the Main Intelligence Directorate, or GRU, three or four elite army formations and support forces for the Air Force and Navy. Defense Ministry plans indicate that those forces will be composed of volunteer soldiers in the coming years. Of the 50,000 contract soldiers the Russian Army recruits annually, it sends a significant number to staff these forces. The Russian Air Force already has up to 20 battalions composed entirely of contract soldiers, and there is every reason to believe that the 30,000 to 40,000 troops assembled near Ukraine's southern and eastern border in February represent the backbone of Russia's future rapid-deployment forces.

Under the current conditions, those forces are adequate for seizing the southern and eastern regions of Ukraine. The question is whether it will be possible for Moscow to hold those territories. After all, it was easy enough to sever Crimea from the rest of Ukraine by simply blocking the highway and railway through the narrow Isthmus of Perekop. But it would not be that easy to do in the Donetsk, Luhansk and Kharkiv regions of Ukraine. Russian forces would have to create a full-fledged border where none had ever existed, severing hundreds of roads linking the captured regions with the rest of Ukraine. It would mean setting up checkpoints on all of the major roads to prevent Ukrainian forces from entering the captured territory. That task would need an occupation force of at least 100,000 professional soldiers and officers — more than Russia has.

Russian strategists developed their rapid-deployment force to fulfill missions that U.S. General Colin Powell defined when he was chairman of the U.S. joint chiefs of staff — that is, to achieve a quick military victory and then immediately withdraw. A quick Russian defeat of the weak Ukrainian Army is all but guaranteed, but Russia's rapid-deployment force is not strong enough to occupy several regions of Ukraine.

But none of this proves that Putin will not order Russian troops to cross the border in the coming days. He has brilliantly confounded analysts several times in the last few weeks. That is not because the analysts were somehow incompetent but because they based their analysis of Putin on rational arguments. The problem is that rational arguments seem to have little place in today's Russia.

Alexander Golts is deputy editor of the online newspaper Yezhednevny Zhurnal.

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Russia[/paste:font]
Russia Blocks Websites Critical Of Kremlin

The online message telling readers that the Grani.ru site is blocked.

Related Articles

TEXT SIZEALSO READ: Russia Blocks Websites, Clears Space For Ultranationalists

The blog of Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny was also briefly blocked -- on the grounds that he had violated his house arrest -- but later unblocked.

"This time, authorities didn't even bother keeping up appearances and making these claims directly to us," said Aleksandr Ryklin, the editor of "Yezhednevny zhurnal." "They just instantly shut down almost all leading websites that convey opinions more or less independent from their own."

The Russian Prosecutor-General's Office ordered the other sites banned on charges of "calling for unlawful activity and taking part in mass events held with breaches of public order."

The Ekho Mosvky radio station was also asked to remove a blog by Navalny from its website, causing some providers to block the radio's entire website.

Navalny's spokeswoman, Anna Veduta, described the move as part of a Kremlin campaign to "cleanse the media space."

The crackdown comes days after the editor of Lenta.ru was summarily dismissed over its coverage of the Ukraine crisis, sparking an exodus of journalists from the top independent news site.

Lenta.ru had previously received a formal warning for publishing a link to remarks by the leader of Ukraine's ultranationalist, anti-Russian group Right Sector.

The controversial new law allows prosecutors to ban websites without court orders if these are deemed to have published calls for participation in mass protests planned without the government's authorization.

Yulia Berezovskaya, Grani.ru's general director, says she had been expecting trouble since the legislation took effect on February 1.

"Grani.ru announces and covers various rallies, both big and small, in depth," she said. "We will continue doing this. It's the actions of the regulator that are illegal, not our journalistic activities."

Grani.ru has filed a lawsuit over the blockage.

All three websites, however, can be accessed through Internet providers based outside Russia. For unclear reasons, Grani.ru is still available on several Russian providers.

Technical instructions on how to get around the ban are also making the rounds online.

Despite growing uncertainty over its future, Ryklin says ej.ru will try to operate as usual. He urges readers to support the website by continuing to visit it in defiance of the ban.

"I would be grateful if people supported Yezhednevny zhurnal simply by finding a way to continue reading it," Ryklin said. "A sustained traffic will serve us as proof. A big thanks to everyone in advance."

Written by Claire Bigg in Prague based on reporting in Moscow by Maryana Torocheshnikova

My dear friend you are more Obsessed with "Putin in Ukraine" than Putin himself. :rofl: take a break

And what happened to invasion in one week ??? Its been a month now & I am still waiting.

Is it just me or somebody else is thinking that our "Military Professional" guy is selling Propaganda than profession ???

isn't propaganda banned !!!

Last edited:
The current potential threat to world peace will be serious missteps by Russia in Ukraine. I published here yesterday my 1992 letter to a US newspaper as proof of my long term concern over how democracy would be and now has been thus far implement by and in both Russia and Ukraine. If you chose not to read my 1992 publication here that is OK with me.

Yes, I did fear a Russian invasion in one week...until I got more up to date facts to now realize Russia stirred a pot it now cannot control. All the more important that our European allies economically (the EU) and militarily (NATO) take quick action in a more coordinated manner to support the internal repairs, changes, whatever to achieve law and order during which a Ukrainian national vote can be held to improve/change as the world recognized Ukrainian government under UN, treaty, and all other legally recognized international norms can more calmly work with.

Your youthful impudence as a unlawful pro-Russian commentator ignores that changing information and events as then publicly analyzed is rational and called for professionally.

Nothing in life is absolutely rigid except taxes and death. But norms of international legal vs. illegal behavior are there not to be joked about or stomped on by bullies like former KGB Lt. Colonel Putin. At least he is showing momentary signs of realizing that his attempt to use raw oil an gas wealth to "buy" the former support of the former Ukrainian President, now his Russian Special Assistant for Ukrainian Affairs resulted in, before his departure from Ukraine, his use of snipers to murder over 100 Ukranian citizens who protested his pro-Russian actions in the streets of Kiev, the national capital.

As the copied and pasted within Russia opposition articles show Russia is now spread too thinly even before the Spetznat tactical insertions to organize and lead attempts to force into Russia's economy the most valuable natural resources and good population of modern day Ukraine.

So, there you are. If you can deal with facts, which is my life long now retired military characteristic, as others of us are trying our best to do, you might have something useful to offer. But your youth and joking nature over such serious matters in the guise of a pro-Russian Indian flagged national may make your contributions at the least "difficult" of credibility.

Remember not to spend any bad Rubles at your local shops. The daily falling value of the ruble make either dollars or Euros still the preferred foreign exchange currency worldwide.

The current potential threat to world peace will be serious missteps by Russia in Ukraine. I published here yesterday my 1992 letter to a US newspaper as proof of my long term concern over how democracy would be and now has been thus far implement by and in both Russia and Ukraine. If you chose not to read my 1992 publication here that is OK with me.

Yes, I did fear a Russian invasion in one week...until I got more up to date facts to now realize Russia stirred a pot it now cannot control. All the more important that our European allies economically (the EU) and militarily (NATO) take quick action in a more coordinated manner to support the internal repairs, changes, whatever to achieve law and order during which a Ukrainian national vote can be held to improve/change as the world recognized Ukrainian government under UN, treaty, and all other legally recognized international norms can more calmly work with.

Your youthful impudence as a unlawful pro-Russian commentator ignores that changing information and events as then publicly analyzed is rational and called for professionally.

Nothing in life is absolutely rigid except taxes and death. But norms of international legal vs. illegal behavior are there not to be joked about or stomped on by bullies like former KGB Lt. Colonel Putin. At least he is showing momentary signs of realizing that his attempt to use raw oil an gas wealth to "buy" the former support of the former Ukrainian President, now his Russian Special Assistant for Ukrainian Affairs resulted in, before his departure from Ukraine, his use of snipers to murder over 100 Ukrainian citizens who protested his pro-Russian actions in the streets of Kiev, the national capital.

As the copied and pasted within Russia opposition articles show Russia is now spread too thinly even before the Spetznat tactical insertions to organize and lead attempts to force into Russia's economy the most valuable natural resources and good population of modern day Ukraine.

So, there you are. If you can deal with facts, which is my life long now retired military characteristic, as others of us are trying our best to do, you might have something useful to offer. But your youth and joking nature over such serious matters in the guise of a pro-Russian Indian flagged national may make your contributions at the least "difficult" of credibility.

Remember not to spend any bad Rubles at your local shops. The daily falling value of the ruble make either dollars or Euros still the preferred foreign exchange currency worldwide.

PS - This recent April, 2014 Turkish factual commentary displays the continuing paranoia of Russia/Putin over anything to do with missiles outside of Russia which the Russians cannot control or destroy. It is clearer now that the US made a mistake not to have positioned NATO missile defense shield in Eastern Europe. But, it is never too late to rectify honest mistakes on the part of the US unless Russia stops and withdraws all claims of ownership illegally taken/seized in Crimea and Eastern Ukraine. Russia can re-negotiated a 250 year lease for it's Navy base in Crimea; that lease payment can be used as a floating upward payment monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually to the oil and gas bill which Ukraine in turn owes legitimately to Russia.

Here is the actual Turkish quote on the fact that Ukraine has the repair and maintenance technology contract for proposed sale to Turkey/then NATO use of the Russian missile known as the SARMAT missile. As a blind guess I would think that Russia has gained more than tit for tat about secret US space technology, which the US has readily shared in the hope of a more peaceful world wherein both Russia and all the rest of us (including the US) be honest technology collaboration will continue to bring Russia into the modern ways and means of diplomacy vs. use of murder, assassinations, and brute force to ahieve free world competition by peaceful means and sharing/cooperation instead of seeking to return to the old USSR ways and means of doing world commerce.

The open student exchange programs are but one of the many good and positive facets of a "right" process to improve friendship and trust among all nations to the extent humanly possible, provided we are dealing democracy to democxracy, not otherwise.

QUOTE: RUSSIA WARNS UKRAINE AGAINST SALE FOR LONG RANGE MISSILE TECHNOLOGY:

Apr 10, 2014 #1

ELTurcoFULL MEMBER
Captain.jpg

Ratings:
+0 / 1,004 / -1
tr.GIF

tr.GIF

New
The Russian Foreign Ministry has warned Ukraine against a reportedly planned sale of technology for long-range missiles, saying the Kiev administration was illegitimate but still needed to act responsibly on the world stage.

Citing two international nonproliferation treaties, to which Ukraine is a signatory the International Code of Conduct against Ballistic Missile Proliferation and the Missile Technology Control Regime the ministry told Ukraine to "exercise particular reserve" when considering the transfer of "technologies for creating missiles capable of carrying a payload of more than 500 kilograms for more than 300 kilometers."

"Despite the difficult domestic political situation in Ukraine and the absence of a legitimate supreme authority," the ministry hopes "the current leaders of that country will show proper responsibility and will refrain from steps that can undermine the current nonproliferation regime," the statement said.

While the Foreign Ministry said it had learned about the sale from the media, it was not immediately clear which reports it may have been referring to, though some Russian bloggers have accused Ukraine of planning to sell its technologies for the missiles known by the NATO classification as Satan to Turkey.

Satan missiles, which were built in Ukraine during Soviet times, are in service with the Russian army, and their maintenance is still provided by Ukrainian experts, BBC reported.

Ukraine's First Deputy Prime Minister Vitaliy Yarema said Friday that Kiev would curb its military cooperation with Russia, following Moscow's annexation of Crimea and amid fears that Russia may dispatch its troops to eastern Ukraine as well.

"Manufacturing products for Russia that will later be aimed against us would be complete insanity," Yarema said.

The Russian-Ukrainian cooperation on the maintenance of the Satan appeared to be drawing to an end even before the Crimea crisis. The commander of Russia's Strategic Missile forces said in December that the country would deploy a new type of long-range missile called the Sarmat in 2018 to replace the Satan.

News | The Moscow Times'

The emphasized paragraph in the above Turkish contribution to Pakistan Defense Forum is that of it's author, not me as American Eagle.

My dear friend you are more Obsessed with "Putin in Ukraine" than Putin himself. :rofl: take a break

And what happened to invasion in one week ??? Its been a month now & I am still waiting.

Is it just me or somebody else is thinking that our "Military Professional" guy is selling Propaganda than profession ???

isn't propaganda banned !!!

No it's pretty obvious, that he is trying to sell just a stereotype side of the whole story. He is ignoring that it's the US and NATO that are constantly working against international laws, that they provoked Russia by adding more and more former Soviet countries to the NATO, that they even placed missiles in these country (claiming they were used only against Iran) that threatens Russias defence capabilities and that even created the precedence for Russia with recognising Kosovo as an independent state. The fact that they now wanted to convince the Ukraine to get away from Russians influence was just the last incident and sooner or later the Russians had to react.
They have no interest in Ukraine as a country, which would be pretty silly anyway, with the economic and financial problems (why would Russia want to take that burden?), the Krim however was a defence related issue and if they can't include it to Russia, they will makes sure that it will be seen as a seperate state, independent from the Ukraine.
The US is fooling the world and especially trying to fool Europe by increasing fears about Russia again. Europe however must be smart to ignore that and find own solutions WITH Russia and not against them, because only together they can assure peace in Europe and not with NATO / US war mongering.

Back
Top Bottom