What's new

Russian satellite Kosmos-1220 to crash to Earth today with ‘very real danger’ to populated areas

I don't think there's anything to worry about. The satellite would have disintegrated into small fragments, most of them burning up. The fragments that reach the ground will have a much reduced velocity. Most would hit the ground with a velocity of no more than 100 meters per second.There's a 1 in a billion chance of any of it hitting someone and 1 in a million chance of hitting a house!

So there's no need to panic and head for those caves in the hills! :D
you must be joking....

Small objects frequently collide with Earth. There is an inverse relationship between the size of the object and the frequency that such objects hit Earth.
The energy released by an impactor depends on diameter, density, velocity, and angle. The density is generally assumed because the diameter and mass are also generally estimates. The minimum impact velocity on Earth is 11 km/s with asteroid impacts averaging around 17 km/s.

Chances of the satellite crashing on ground are less
1) because earth is mostly made of water.So it might crash in sea.
2) due to friction in the atmosphere the 3 tonnes satellite will be reduced to bits and pieces.
So I dont see a real danger...but I hope it doesnt crash on somebody's car. :D
chances of hitting the earth is low but read the article......
A Russian satellite that could weigh as much as three tonnes is expected to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere on Sunday, reportedly representing a "very real danger" to densely populated areas.
Though 70% of earth is water but still we are left with 30% land ......and again on that 30 % land,... population do not live but again the real danger arises when the object is to fall on densely populated area......
yes most of the debris will burn or melt but it may shoot like bullet from sky if it ain't vaporizes....
:)

Back
Top Bottom