What's new

Russian Navy Submarine Got Fire During Exercise at Vladivostok Submarine Base...

it,s look like russian sub is not good as i previously belived, now it,s look like to me that even chines sub is batter then russian.

it,s look like russian sub is not good as i previously belived, now it,s look like to me that even chines sub is batter then russian.

Just because there's a fire, I don't think that this is an indication of a sub being better or worse, rather poor maitenance or personal error (or it was in fact a drill, but I don't really believe that). Russia still has plenty of old submarines in service, thus they are more vunerable to such fires. However, I can't see which class of submarines that is (I'm guessing it's a Kilo class, due to the sail being square)

However, Chinese nuclear subs are not as good compared to the Russian ones, the newer Chinese designs (Type 094 SSBN, Type 093 SSN) are as loud as mid 70's/ early 80's soviet designs, with the newest Chinese submarines reaching Akula/improved Los Angeles level at best, I believe. (Type 094A and Type 093A/B)

Future designs such as the Type 096 SSBN and Type 095 could close the gap completely, but the Chinese are very secretive when it come to their nuclear submarines, so one can only speculate

The main source I used:
https://fas.org/irp/agency/oni/pla-navy.pdf

Last edited:
Just because there's a fire, I don't think that this is an indication of a sub being better or worse, rather poor maitenance or personal error (or it was in fact a drill, but I don't really believe that). Russia still has plenty of old submarines in service, thus they are more vunerable to such fires. However, I can't see which class of submarines that is (I'm guessing it's a Kilo class, due to the sail being square)

However, Chinese nuclear subs are not as good compared to the Russian ones, the newer Chinese designs (Type 094 SSBN, Type 093 SSN) are as loud as mid 70's/ early 80's soviet designs, with the newest Chinese submarines reaching Akula/improved Los Angeles level at best, I believe. (Type 094A and Type 093A/B)

Future designs such as the Type 096 SSBN and Type 095 could close the gap completely, but the Chinese are very secretive when it come to their nuclear submarines, so one can only speculate

The main source I used:
https://fas.org/irp/agency/oni/pla-navy.pdf
Agreed - Chinese subs are loud and comparable to 80s era of Soviet subs. If I recall not only were Soviet subs noisy back then, but regarding the kilo class, each kilo sounded different..so it was easy to tell which one was being tracked!!

Back
Top Bottom