What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they dont want invade anyone else. Only ukraine. Maybe poland and baltics. But just maybe.

Dude get real. I have a friend in ukraine, i know what horror russia does there and your lame excuses for this war are misplaced.

Why invade Poland? No Russians here, a relatively strong army and a lot of americans. Completely not possible to control the country + very big german economic interest.
Sorry, this is nonsense. After Ukraine, moldova would be next. Invading a NATO\EU country, even baltics pretty imposible.

NATO Killed Civilians in Libya. It’s Time to Admit It.​

The alliance bombing campaign had a devastating toll—but, a decade after the war, leaders have still not taken responsibility.​

March 20, 2021, 6:00 AM

Journalists and locals gather next to the rubble of buildings in Tripoli, Libya, on June 19, 2011. During a government-led tour, the group was shown damaged houses and the bodies of civilians said to have been killed in a NATO coalition bombing. MAHMUD TURKIA/AFP via Getty Images

By Joe Dyke, a senior investigator at the civilian casualty monitor Airwars.

Attia al-Juwaili may never know which country’s laser-guided bomb killed his young daughter. It could be a British, French, or American pilot who struck, but until he finds out, his family’s hopes for justice are forever on hold.
It has been 10 years since the NATO-led coalition dropped the first bombs targeting Libyan strongman Muammar al-Qaddafi’s forces—turning the tide in Libya’s civil war and playing a critical role in bringing down the dictator. The merits of that intervention have been long debated, with foreign meddlers and local rivals and extremists thriving in the vacuum ever since.
But there was a more direct cost. In a war fought expressly to protect civilians, NATO’s airstrikes inadvertently killed dozens. New research by the civilian casualty monitoring watchdog Airwars, where I am the senior investigator, lays out for the first time the estimated number of civilians killed by all parties to the 2011 war—including both Qaddafi forces and Libyan rebels. Almost none of the families left behind have received compensation or an apology.
While NATO insists it took steps to avoid killing civilians, when there were casualty allegations it had limited mechanisms to assess on the ground, with one former official saying they “really had no idea.”
And those seeking an apology have instead found themselves trapped in a nightmare in which NATO itself does not make condolence payments but insists accountability must be sought from individual nations. Yet, even a decade on, countries including the United Kingdom, France, and the United States still refuse to accept public responsibility for any harm they caused.

A family photo of Arwa al-Juwaili taken before she died in a NATO airstrike in the village of Majer, Libya, on Aug. 8, 2011. Courtesy of Attia al-Juwaili, her father.
Juwaili’s family and a few others had sought refuge in the village of Majer in northern Libya a few weeks before the deadly strike, after fleeing the encroaching ground war between Qaddafi’s forces and NATO-backed rebels.

It was Ramadan, so prayers lasted late into the evening. Afterward, the women and children went inside, while the men sat in the August heat chatting.
“Then everything was black, we couldn’t see anything. After the smoke subsided it was clear the second floor was destroyed,” Juwaili told Foreign Policy.
The men rushed forward, searching through the rubble for survivors. Fifteen minutes later, another strike killed many of the rescuers.
Juwaili hunted frantically for his 2-year-old daughter, Arwa, eventually finding her lifeless under the rubble. “Thank God her body was not ripped apart,” he said.
The United Nations later concluded 34 civilians died at Majer that night, including Arwa. NATO called the site a command and control node for Qaddafi’s forces. The residents denied this, and U.N. investigators found no evidence of military activity.
“My message to NATO is that yes, mistakes happen, but you need to correct such mistakes,” Juwaili said. “I feel that we were treated as if we were nothing and they did not look back. I hope when Libya is back on its feet, we get justice.”

NATO’s seven-month intervention in Libya in 2011 was ostensibly carried out to protect civilians.
Qaddafi had brutally crushed an Arab Spring rebellion against his four-decade rule and was closing in fast on Benghazi, the last bastion of the uprising. The U.N., fearing a new Srebrenica, voted to intervene to protect civilians.
NATO led a subsequent international bombing campaign, with the U.S.-dominated alliance claiming to take significant steps to avoid killing civilians—employing rigorous target monitoring and delayed-fuse weapons. At the end of the war, its head Anders Fogh Rasmussen boasted of “no confirmed civilian casualties caused by NATO.”

Human rights groups and U.N. investigators on the ground unearthed a more complicated story. They found multiple cases of civilian harm, with a U.N. commission concluding that while NATO fought a “highly precise campaign with a demonstrable determination to avoid civilian casualties,” the coalition had killed at least 60 civilians in the 20 events the commission investigated.
New research from Airwars concludes that this number could be higher still. Using hyperlocal open-source material to assess for the first time the entirety of reported civilian harm by all parties during the 2011 war, it found NATO strikes resulted in between 223 and 403 likely civilian deaths in the 212 events of concern reviewed.

:welcome:
Please STOP with this NATO Nonsens. This topic is about Russia-Ukraine war.

I’m reading, Russia has stepped in the last minute to try to block Irans nuclear deal, fearing that an agreement, and lifting oil sanctions on Iran Tehran will unleash 2m barrels oil day on global market. So now I’m very interested to see of Iranian strong lobby on here if it’s reactions and support for Mr putin remains positive. And if Moscow is successful in its strategy it will be history all over again repeating itself just like india vote had brought in the previous brunch painfull sanctions on Iran lol, and Moscow and Delhi are Irans best friends..,,,, hehehe

Why would they need Russian oil even for free, if they can't physically bring it out, when newly kosher Iranian oil is just behind the corner?

I know one family stuck in Kharkiv, it is so hard. They cant get out of the city to some safer place.

For now they have water, electricity and internet but no one knows for how long. They sleep with full clothes/jackets on and rucksacks near them ready to move any minute when a window of opportunity opens.

Cant imagine the hardships these people are going through! War is ugly!

Why invade Poland? No Russians here, a relatively strong army and a lot of americans. Completely not possible to control the country + very big german economic interest.
Sorry, this is nonsense. After Ukraine, moldova would be next. Invading a NATO\EU country, even baltics pretty imposible.
I could see them invading Moldova perhaps. Poland and Baltics are NATO states so it’s a guaranteed way to start WW3.

Very true, while Ukraine has numerical superiority on the paper with territorials, but they are all very busy with tackling local numerical superiority of Russians who keep strolling in between towns in the South East.

They really need to turn numerical superiority in the paper into manoeuvre denial for Russian forces.

They really need to get more mobile forces to: flush out, herd, localise, and destroy Russian forces roaming freely on occupied territories.

The worst thing they can do is to allow Russia to make a solid WW2 style front to secure rear of its forces, and offload the C&C.

I am sure, Russian generals have now unearthed the WW2 era strategy book, and decided to follow them go the letter.

They have no force to form a front, but they are pushing bigger, and bigger formations moving around a lot, and singling out separated Ukrainian deployments, attacking them WW2 style.

Last edited:
Can we please move on from Iraq Afghanistan Libya they have no bearing on Putin invading Ukraine. We are watching a large European country under a bad dictator trying to swallow up a sampler democratic European state. nato did not occupy any state changed or expulsions of local peoples replaced by french German English Dutch Italian Spanish etc,

That Apollon guy from Greece i replied to claimed at this forum that NATO is a defence organisation and never involved in foreign war. I just busted his lies by simply google it for facts and you tried to blamed me for off topic? People like you are the reason why i left this forum long time ago until now to see if some posters grow some brains, but i guess my wish was too much..

The point is,why is Kosovo allowed independence,but Crimea isn't? Why is Croatia,BiH helped to achieve independence for example,but DNR and LNR are accused of getting help to become independent?
Becose its not a paking minority or anything it just russians grabbing more lands its not granting anyone idependence ... people on crimenia are russinans thats just a land grab not independence same with LNR/DPR created by nazis with support of putler

see this guy :
1647298744561.png

Leader of Donetsk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom