What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Ukrainians may not have pilots to fly or the ammunition to arm these jets.

Finally, how will they dodge the SAMs used by Russians? I think this has more symbolic meaning than real ability to change the air cover in this conflict. :undecided:

NATO can provide EW cover to these jet fighters over Ukrainian airspace.

US spy chiefs say Putin is likely to escalate in Ukraine with no concern for civilian casualties​

The US intelligence community believes that Russian President Vladimir Putin views the conflict in Ukraine as a "war he cannot afford to lose," suggesting he is likely to escalate the conflict without any concern for the number of civilians killed, the US's top intelligence chiefs told Congress.

Putin probably about to go full Grozny on Kyiv

Can somebody please explain why Russians have started executing civilians with their families? The videos have started to flood the social media. I recently saw a video of an old couple (in their 70s) in their car, being mercilessly executed by a Russian BMP, using the automatic grenade launcher. Then there was this young couple that was shot through their necks at close range.

Where are you seeing these videos?

Poland still trying to avoid getting dragged in directly, so it’s being as careful as possible, but it seems everyone wants regular updates so no one is even hiding the transfer, also because Russia doesn’t want to touch NATO directly and everyone knows it.

Any update on the planning for an amphibious landing to take Odessa?

The Americans have gone full-time crazy. What a crazy fvcks. After getting their rear kicked in Afghanistan one would have imagined some sobering up and introspection. It didn't take a month and we are back into another conflict. I can only imagine that the Americans will only rest if the world is destroyed.
Say what? Remember Vietnam War? You think that was enough to force the U.S. to sober up and introspect? Look what they did to the Russians in Afghanistan during the 1980s. Not sure if you were alive at the time for that.

Can somebody please explain why Russians have started executing civilians with their families? The videos have started to flood the social media. I recently saw a video of an old couple (in their 70s) in their car, being mercilessly executed by a Russian BMP, using the automatic grenade launcher. Then there was this young couple that was shot through their necks at close range.

The video I have seen was Ukrainian

I've seen a handful of videos, and so far the ones I've seen were Ukrainians killing civilians.

Most likely -- yes. Let us go with the US F-16 deal for now. Ordnance from the MIGs are probably not compatible with the F-16, so there is no logic in keeping them. Send'em all to Ukraine.

Am Air Force, so am always going to be partial to air force people, no matter their country. :enjoy:

Pilots are normally valuable assets. As long as there is a functional airfield, jets will fly. But in this particular situation with the Ukrainians, the longer the absence of the VKS over Ukrainian airspace, the greater the value of the Ukrainian pilots. This valuation is tactical. As long as the VKS either failed or refused to achieve air superiority over Ukraine, maybe they refused for some mysterious tactics we do not know yet, Ukrainian pilots must act quickly to deny airspace to the VKS and to attack Russian ground forces, especially that stalled supply convoy. The longer and greater presence of Ukrainian jets over Ukrainian ground forces, the morale factor cannot be understated. So whatever amount of pilots Ukraine have, those guys are national treasure right now.

That said, it will not be easy taking over the Polish MIGs.

For starter, how will the Ukrainian pilots get over to Germany? How many jets determine how many pilots.

Next, the Ukrainian pilots will have to examine the Polish MIGs to see what are the differences, and there WILL be at least minor differences between what they are used to vs what the Poles have done to these MIGs. But am willing to say that the Ukrainians pilots will be able to adjust.

Next, the Ukrainian pilots will have to make familiarization or functional check flights. They have to know how each jet perform in the air. All jets are essentially hand built, no matter the country. So inevitably, there will be the usual 'product variations' but this will not be a major problem. As long as the pilots are comfortable with the functional check flights, they will accept the jets. But they have to make these flights.

Next, on the return trip to Ukraine, will these jets be armed? No doubt the Russians will know of this deal so now, even though the VKS is largely absent over Ukrainian airspace, I am %100 confident that the VKS will sortie to hunt them down. From my personal perspective, it would be foolish not to preempt the Ukrainians, and the Ukrainians would be foolish not to assume the same, so most likely, the return flights will be armed and treated as a combat sortie. The Americans, the Germans, and the Poles would follow the same reasoning, so the MIGs will be armed with air-air missiles to defend themselves until they make it home and begin to use the jets for other missions.

For the long term, if these MIGs make it to Ukrainian hands, and if the VKS do not show whatever mysterious tactics they have been withholding or that the VKS is truly incompetent in this war, the fight will be tougher for Russia.
Definitely will be armed and need to be dispersed and hidden quickly. Probably where there is less surveillance at the time or a gap in sensors somewhere when it is the right time.

Like I said watch for who gives concessions and who sticks to their terms or makes them more onerous.

From what I see, Russia is just adding terms, while Ukraine is giving up concessions.

Why give concessions if you are winning?
Russia gave up trying to demilitarize Ukraine...probably because Russia keeps sending arms to Ukraine.

NATO can provide EW cover to these jet fighters over Ukrainian airspace.

First, they can just avoid SAMs if NATO EW got their locations by now. Then send whatever standoff weapons remaining they have to destroy S300s in Belarus.

Everything else will not threaten them flying inland, but Russian planes will have to fly through a still relatively dense AA net if they will want to engage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom