What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
BP has decided to sell its 20% stake in Russian oil and gas giant Rosneft.

BP CEO resigns from Rosneft Board of Directors.

I don't know what Xi himself was thinking, but Beining international affairs people would only support Russians if they will win, and they don't.

I see this large divergence in between what Xi himself says, and what central committee's says for the first time in many years.

We gain literally nothing from this, unless Putin wins, and if he makes himself useful. On other side, if he loses, he will have to crawl into Zhongnanhai for cash again. And that will be very good. We can demand our outer northeast back.
This is probably the only time Russia is fully subjugated by the Chinese.

I don't know, if I am XI, I wouldn't touch it, Russia is becoming another North Korea. I don't see how Putin behave have any different than Kim Jong now.

And trust me when I say this, as a former cop who investigate homicide. A lot of those case is when lover turn on each other. If China get too cosy with Russia and Russia turn on China because they did not do what they want the Chinese to do, that's usually ended up in Homicide. If you know what I mean....

The Syrian National Coalition called on the international community to provide advanced weapons to the Syrian National Army to confront, limit and pressure Russia in Syria: They request for the same weapons as currently provided to Ukraine.

The Russian effort has slowed, which I fear means terrible thing i.e. to speed things up they may start to level areas of resistance.

Russia will do whats necessary.

Till now , Russians have been very careful to not cause civilian casualties. Ukrainians didn't give in infact they are piggy backing on NATO... I hope Russians pulverize them ...

IMO the chances of a major war in Ukraine is slim to none, Russia is fine with the status quo, the Ukraine and the US are not idiots..they will not give Russia an excuse to take more lands from Ukraine.
The cause for the recent escalation is probably just because sleepy Joe wants to show that he is a tough guy and not some senile walking corpse, "America is back". So he told the puppets in Kiev to escalate a little before going back to the status quo.
After few days or few weeks things will calm down.
The reason why the Russians are amassing forces at the border is just to dissuade the Ukrainians from going too far.
This aged badly

What you present here is the corundum of this whole spectacle. A war on the eastern front of NATO is the least thing Europe needs right now. Heck its even more a headache for America. Biden has been a mere reactive figurehead. If there is a long-term mastermind strategy behind deeper US-involvement in Europe, it would be be a interesting reading (sincerely).

Russia may loose this war but thats nothing because Russia will lick its wounds and be even more determined to have its revenge. Not that the West should be or is afraid of that, but no doubt it will distract and divert resources from more important theaters.

I hear suggestions here that increased European defence budget will be enough to evaporate Russian millitary posture. Which may or may not be reality, as we have to wait 10 years to see the results. But this still dosent adress the real problem, because America still would be looked up to for overall leadership of NATO. US may delegate some responsibilities to major powers like Germany France and UK, but is that really a ideal situation, from purely political standpoint?
Is it realistic? What is NATO going to look like if America is forced to reorient its attention and resources to the Indo-Pacific theater?

Russia can't afford to lose this conflict. Putin's ominous words of Russia fighting for its survival tells you how far he's going to go. America has been involved in countless wars for decades and yet Americans are confident and don't have to use such ominous words!! Putin's nuclear blackmail indicates his determination and willing to go to the extreme if he is not given his way.
I honestly don't see a need for NATO. It is a vestige from the Cold War and its main utility seems to be to bomb hapless 3rd world countries. Russia has always desired to be part of Europe and given time would have become one, especially after Putin, except some powers--basically the Neocons of America--can't wait to grab the Russian resources.
The Pacific Theater is the theater which would worry China. And as I keep repeating, this is another American war which is giving advantages to China. Already the damn Israeli Lobby dragged America into a useless Iraq War in 2003 which severely depleted the American power for no gains except profiteering for some companies in America and further securing Israel. China couldn't be happier because of that war!

Thanks

I think it's more like a lump of unwanted cancer landed on Chinese doorstep.

Would Chinese even want to touch that pile of.....? I don't know. But as far as I see, this is going to become a liability of China.
Thanks to sanctions Russian oligarchs will be forced to transact its mineral wealth via China on terms favourable to the Chinese. That in itself is a big win for the Chinese.
A prospect Russian oligarchs will find particularly repugnant since it will severely limit their returns.

Frankly, I suspect Putin's days are numbered. A new Russian leader will likely emerge restoring the détente with the west.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom