What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putin revived Russia's failing economy because the US was stupid enough to get involved in Afghanistan and Iraq and drive oil prices to above $100 per barrel. Russia is one of the leading energy exporters in the world and obviously this excess revenue revived the Russian economy.

It is the West that is shooting itself in the foot all the time. After all, all empires must end for some reason.
I have earlier posts related to Afghanistan that mentioned Russia gained the most strategically with the USA quagmire in Afghanistan.....while not having to waste any blood or gold.

Honestly, USA would have been so much better off cutting a deal with Pakistan to clear AQ from Afghanistan then the regime change/occupation approach. It would have avoided quagmire and embarrassment in Afghanistan and Pakistan could have been controlled more easily then the other players. I argued as much to American friends at the start of WOT, but they would not listen. :hitwall:

Taliban control Afghanistan today and there are not massive terror attacks against USA originating from Afghanistan. In hindsight, USA wasted 20 years on the WOT.

Last edited:
I have been following this forum for a while now and reading all the replies. So what can Pakistan learn from this?
Well it is of utmost importance to have military independence. Donot rely on hardware from one country and donot expect someone to come to your aid.
If your conflict is with one of your neigbhors then it is must to have a strategic balance in conventional weapons capability.
As for who should we support? NO ONE. On moral grounds Russia is the aggressor here. If a soverign country wants to have an alliance then it should be allowed to make its own decision. Neither Russia nor west have any authority to dictate Ukraine's foreign policy.
Several of my Pakistani fellows are raising support here for russian action because of anti-American sentiment. Yes, USA has not been our most trust worthy ally but the fact is culturally we are more close to USA, many of Pakistani students study in USA and west and many pakistanis do job there.
Furthermore, russia is india's strategic ally and partner so i urge you before raising your support for Russia keep national interest and historical facts in mind.

Russia will keep expanding from now on. This is just the start. At some point the west will sabotage, sanction and degrade their industrial might. And the whole thing will break apart in a massive civil war where all the conquered nations will be free. this could take 50 years if the CIA starts getting busy right now.

But make no mistake, territorial expansion and subjugation of others is their only plan.

No my friend. Even the United States, with twice (and a growing) population than Russia and being a Super Power doesn't see to territorial expansions. Russia, under the USSR and maybe under the Imperial Czar empire, had their day in the sun. At best Russia can remain a sovereign, prosperous and powerful state in the land to the west of the Urals.
So the predicament for me really is, Russia is an Ally, whose actions on the surface seem belligerent and will cause tremendous human suffering. Its motives and rationale behind the actions are antithetical to my own worldview. That said, I do not want India to take any principled position that jeopardizes Indo-Russian relations in any way.

You are being coy about it. Maybe the oldies Indians have some nostalgic attachment to Russia but younger Indians know that $$ and power lies in the West and the Middle East. India has paid hard cash for Russian help. There are not much of civilization ties just as there were not much between Pakistan and the West for most of Pakistan's history.

One day people are going to realize that deep down human ethnic, religious, and cultural connections are the main long term, sustainable connections. You'd never see the 'Anglos' fighting each other; on the contrary, like a pack of wolves, they coordinate in the kill.

But all these for another topic!!

Finland is now seriously considering NATO membership. Спасибо Russia. :enjoy:

You just trying to turn the ugly war uglier ... let people live, don't pursue them to be goats for an evil game of superpower's lust.

Nothing at stake.... Russians will get over it..... US can not stab Russia... They are not Afghanistan... Or Syria....
View attachment 818589
You've totally gone out of perspective wrt what i meant with stake and for whom... It was meant for turkey and potentially Pakistan's stake... Russia's invasion of Ukraine will leave both without a potential strategic partner... Do you think the Russians would withdraw without severely crippling Ukrainian defense infrastructure...
Here are some of the problems that would arise for Turkey.
> Loss of potential TFX engine partner
> Loss of T-929 engine partner
> Loss of IFV engine provider
All these deals were of billions and most importantly countries with the infrastructure and willingness to help in the defense sector of Pakistan and Turkey...
Pakistan suffers in the following way
> Lack of spare parts of 6td2
> Lack of newer engines for New Al-Khalids
> Loss of partner for Al-Khalid 2 engine
> Loss of 1400hp potential engine upgrade for Al-Khalid
> Failure to upgrade T-80UDs of Pak Army by Ukraine...
So you tell me, What are those cheesy comments for ? And If he is pointing out the hypocrisy of the west .... Why are you snubbing him ? Remember, our relationship with Russia has just begun while that with Ukraine is older and time tested... The JF-17 engines we got from them is partly due to China's diplomacy and not just our own.. Thinking so would be overconfidence...
Clarification... This is not an Erdogan simp post (which it may seem to you).. this is totally looking at the long term goals and interests of Pakistan vis a vis Turkey... Hope you understand.

I have been following this forum for a while now and reading all the replies. So what can Pakistan learn from this?
Well it is of utmost importance to have military independence. Donot rely on hardware from one country and donot expect someone to come to your aid.
If your conflict is with one of your neigbhors then it is must to have a strategic balance in conventional weapons capability.
As for who should we support? NO ONE. On moral grounds Russia is the aggressor here. If a soverign country wants to have an alliance then it should be allowed to make its own decision. Neither Russia nor west have any authority to dictate Ukraine's foreign policy.
Several of my Pakistani fellows are raising support here for russian action because of anti-American sentiment. Yes, USA has not been our most trust worthy ally but the fact is culturally we are nore close to USA, many of Pakistani students study in USA and west and many pakistanis do job there.
When mistrust is abound, even forming an alliance is seen as an aggression. See how China will react when Taiwan and USA/Japan form an alliance. Therefore, it is naive to think that having an alliance is entirely an internal affair. The same misunderstanding is particularly popular in democratic countries where people naively think voting is just a personal affair. No, one person's vote affects everyone else!

I have earlier posts related to Afghanistan that mentioned Russia gained the most strategically with the USA quagmire in Afghanistan.....while not having to waste any blood or gold.

Honestly, USA would have been so much better off cutting a deal with Pakistan to clear AQ from Afghanistan then the regime change/occupation approach. It wouldn't avoided quagmire and embarrassment in Afghanistan and Pakistan could have been controlled more easily then the other players. I argued as much to American friends at the start of WOT, but they would not listen. :hitwall:

Taliban control Afghanistan today and there are not massive terror attacks against USA originating from Afghanistan. In hindsight, USA wasted 20 years on the WOT.
The US invaded Afghanistan to have military bases next to Iran and China, and steal their large mineral resources, among other reasons. The only problem is that the Americans are bad at geography and they didn't know that Afghanistan is a landlocked country and if you want to bark at its neighbors and have sour relations with them, you'll be left with no way to steal their resources. The US was already cockblocked by Iran to the west, Russia to the north and China to the east. And their anti-Muslim sentiments turned them so blind that they finally lost Pakistan to China with their arrogance, leaving them effectively engulfed by enemies in a landlocked country. They bled there for 20 years only to wake up some day and realize that it makes no sense to stay there when they cannot steal much from a war torn country like Afghanistan and they had to leave before they waste more money there.

Its hard to predict the future of Russia. Russia under Yeltsin was heading for ruin. Putin revived it somehow, against all odds. and has since then been talking back territory. Russians are now in all soviet states except maybe kyrgsitan and the Baltics. If any of the "Stans" stop listening to Putin they will be invaded the same day. Just like this.

Russia will keep expanding from now on. This is just the start. At some point the west will sabotage, sanction and degrade their industrial might. And the whole thing will break apart in a massive civil war where all the conquered nations will be free. this could take 50 years if the CIA starts getting busy right now.

But make no mistake, territorial expansion and subjugation of others is their only plan.

When mistrust is abound, even forming an alliance is seen as an aggression. See how China will react when Taiwan and USA/Japan form an alliance. Therefore, it is naive to think that having an alliance is entirely an internal affair. The same misunderstanding is particularly popular in democratic countries where people naively think voting is just a personal affair. No, one person's vote affects everyone else!
I agree that in todays world with new emerging Super Power China things are getting very complicated and thats why i used "on Moral Ground Russia is aggressor". And thats why i proposed some points in my post regarding national defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom