What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Putin is eliminated/replaced with an opposition leader, I am not sure Europe/Nato would still trust Russia. I think this go's beyond Putin, they are wary and scared of the 5000+ nukes, massive amounts of natural resources Russia has and how they can influence the world (abit like China) and Russian history which has been expansive in nature.

How about the reasons given for the invasion of Iraq in 2003?

That was a case study in building a case for a war with falsehood.

Countries will do what they will do.

Mearsheimer calls it like it is.

And he systematically laid out the reasons for THIS conflict from as far back as 2015.

And what did he prescribe as the solution to avert a war?

Ukraine as a neutral buffer. (i.e. NO NATO and a limited military)

Which is what is gonna happen anyways now.
If you give legitimacy to Mearsheimer, even if he is correct about Poutine's reasoning, then might as well make a public declaration now that YOU support the simplistic 'might is right' policy for foreign affairs. Pointing out how you do not like what happened to Iraq does not change that. The funny thing is that not even Mearsheimer himself wanted to go that far. He was bold enough to blame the West, but not enough to say that what he posited should be the norm. Are YOU braver than him?

Even if Putin is eliminated/replaced with an opposition leader, I am not sure Europe/Nato would still trust Russia. I think this go's beyond Putin, they are wary and scared of the 5000+ nukes, massive amounts of natural resources Russia has and how they can influence the world (abit like China) and Russian history which has been expansive in nature.

For sure, Russia is so big because of conquests and subjugation. Soviet Union was even bigger. Warsaw Pact, made it even bigger. All cobbled together using brute force or threat of force. Otherwise, there wasn't much in common as we have been seeing with the rapid disintegration of the USSR and revolt against, what might be called now 'The Sick Man of Europe'.
But I really think post Putin it will be different. The Christian, white Russia west of the Urals is destined to join Europe. A lot of members here are making wild claims about Russia taking on NATO countries after Ukraine. I don't think so. I don't think that's possible or even desired. Russia is a has-been power for decades and all this talk of 'poking the mighty bear' is hyped up!!

If you give legitimacy to Mearsheimer, even if he is correct about Poutine's reasoning, then might as well make a public declaration now that YOU support the simplistic 'might is right' policy for foreign affairs. Pointing out how you do not like what happened to Iraq does not change that. The funny thing is that not even Mearsheimer himself wanted to go that far. He was bold enough to blame the West, but not enough to say that what he posited should be the norm. Are YOU braver than him?

Isn't "might is right" what has been going on since the fall of the Soviet Union?

30+ years of US hegemony.

And what do we have to show for it?

Don't minimize what the US has done in the past.

It doesn't start or stop at Iraq.

Just examine history.

Millions of lives have been affected.

MILLIONS.

This is the dawn of a multipolar world where there will be some semblance of balance.

And the citizens of weaker nations will be the beneficiary.

As for this conflict?

Putin has tried to reason with the West for years.

He was FORCED into this.

It may not be going as well as Russia had planned.

But they too have "a line in the sand."

Furthermore, I am not stating what is right or not.

I am just saying what is.

Last edited:
Isn't "Might is right" what has been going on since the fall of the Soviet Union?

30+ years of US hegemony.

And what do we have to show for it?

Don't minimize what the US has done in the past.

It doesn't start or stop at Iraq.

Just examine history.

Millions of lives have been affected.

MILLIONS.

This is the dawn of multipolar world where there will be some semblance of balance.

And the citizens of weaker nations will be the beneficiary.

As for this conflict?

Putin has tried to reason with the West for years.

He was FORCED into this.

It may not be going as well as Russia had planned.

But they too have "a line in the sand."

Furthermore, I am not stating what is right or not.

I am just saying what is.
The Russians were forced to do this. The blame lies with the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom