What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a completely misguided view. Sometimes you're backed into a geopolitical corner and you have no choice but to fight out of it. The "blunder" was the USSR adopting a defective socio-economic system and not being able to maintain the gains they made in WWII. Putin is just trying to clean up this historic mess.

Russia doesn't want NATO on its border, but it doesn't have a choice in the matter. There's no amount of "nice" Russia can be that will cause NATO to move away from the border. Yeltsin was a Western stooge yet NATO still expanded. Self-defense is never a blunder.

Russia is going to get NATO on its border no matter what it does. The best it can do is strengthen its position as much as it can.

Thank you for being one of the only sane voices here. Not enough people have studied the realist school of thought and grand strategy.

NATO was coming to Russia's borders anyway. Iraq didn't have nukes yet still got screwed. When the US decides it wants to try and screw you, it'll find a way - a fake intelligence report, a false flag attack, whatever it takes. So, you have two bad options and just have to pick the less bad one, which in this case was calculated to be this attack.

People keep looking at it through shockingly narrow lenses or as if history started a few years ago. This is post Cold War history that's still alive and well. This is a story of incessant NATO/US encirclement of Russia despite commitments and warnings --- and the eventual reaction, for which nobody will pay more than the current Ukrainian regime and many of its people.

For a very good reason:

Russia has been hoarding gold for quite some time now. It seems to me that this offense is well prepared long ago. If China starts to hoard gold, the war with Taiwan may start in the near future.

Nope and thats whats worrying.
When ruling elites choose to go to war the people rarely get to stop them. In most cases the media will buy in the gullible leaving a small 'fringe' to protest - who will be ignored and derided as being soft on 'evil'.

And even if the no war groups gain traction and bring millions on the street as happened in 2003 dogs of war will still be unleashed. As fig leaf some years later commission or enquiry will be set up which won't do anything. Most of those involved will have retired and will face nomional consequences.

The dead and destruction will just fill more history books.

With all due respect, I can only repeat what I wrote today so often since I strongly need to oppose this most simplistic standpoint: Yes, there are Nazis in Ukraine, no-one denies and they have a severe social issue with this. Fact!

However also fact is, that other countries - including France, the USA and Russia itself - have similar tendencies too. As such to condemn a whole country, its society and its government as being Nazi infected or even a Nazi regime shows only a lack in historical understanding or being fallen into a well-laid propaganda trap.

This is worse, when this is used as an argument for an all-out war against the whole country and not only within/against those occupied regions. AGAIN YES, Nazis are an evil - I know it quite well from my country's own shameful history - but as noted, unfortunately other countries do have the same issues too. Therefore any claims or comparisons, the Ukrainian government is a Nazi regime and all their "outrages" would be comparable to Saddam Hussein, Bin Laden or any other terrorist's crimes is both inappropriate and unjustified here. (Like certain members try to portray here and at the SDF)

Again, I want to make clear that NO-ONE denies there are Nazis in Ukraine but this is not the real reason and even more, never an excuse for that war.

As a final word, let me add a personnel note: I'm neither pro US or EU nor am I defending their system. In fact I'm opposing the lack of NATO's of understanding towards Russia's security concernsand the fallen promises once made during the negotiations towards my own country‘s reunification since a long time as shameful. In fact in other forums I'm much too often called the understander of Russian and China! But it is my strong believe, that war is not the answer, even lesser when based on lies!

Consequently I never applauded what the US did in other countries and we all know to what terrible consequences such and other lies led in the ME, in Iraq, Iran and Syria …. But again, this is not a reason to advocate or justify this war!

I hope for at least a bit of understanding since in another forum I was right thereafter condemned as a Nazi-supporter or even a Nazi since I am opposing this war and/or since I am a German.

So, lets stay rationale and not too much simple-minded to judge by a single (or even a few more) images posted in the Internet since they support our opinion … the reality is often not that simple.

Best and take care,
Andreas

You missed the whole point of my conversation and merely concluded as such because a poster tagged you. I have already explained the point being discussed regarding Nazism and how the same is among the list of reasons for Russia to attack Ukraine. One of the reasons... and in-fact, only a savage will support war against civilians.

Ukraine official says at least 57 killed and 169 injured following attacks by Russian forces​

From CNN’s Gul Tuysuz in Kyiv

There are 57 people who have died and 169 people have been injured – including both combat and non-combat injuries – following attacks by Russian forces, Ukraine’s Minister of Healthcare Viktor Lyashko said Thursday.

Speaking live on Ukraine’s 1+1 TV channel, Lyashko said hospitals and medical workers had also come under fire on Thursday – including in Avdiivka and Vuhledar in Donetsk – with casualties reported among medical workers.

By completely having it's economy destroyed. Yup.

Russia should have stopped at the rebel held areas, and called it a day. No one would have cared, and sanctions wouldn't have been so severe.

You're missing the point. This isn't about protecting ethnic Russians, although it is a factor. It's about stopping a NATO owned Ukraine deploying nuclear weapons on Russia's border. This was never achieved diplomatically due to Nato, so the Russians are achieving this by force.

VTB dead. Sberbank, on the other hand, kicked from dollar transfer system. I don't think the Moskow stock market will be able to open tomorrow

Everything must have been gamed / expected. Planning for worse case scenarios is part of the strategic planning process. None of this is surprising or unexpected, meaning it fit into the payoffs/costs calculations of Russian planners.

Will somebody explain the end game?

So Russia will be running a country of 50 million Ukrainians who hate them with years of counter insurgency?

Some one tell me because I don't understand. :stop:

Putin aims to re-establish Russian Territorial extant back to its height of Tsar days. He sees it as his ultimate life goal to establish a pan slavic state or a federation centered around Russia no matter the economic/political/military cost.

US expels second-ranking Russian diplomat after expulsion of US deputy chief of mission from Moscow​

From Kylie Atwood and Jennifer Hansler

The US expelled the No. 2 diplomat at the Russian embassy in Washington, DC, in response to Russia expelling the second-ranking US diplomat in Moscow earlier this year, a State Department official confirms.

The Russians were alerted of this yesterday, and the diplomat was given a few weeks to leave the US, the official said.

The US took this action as a direct response to what the Russians had done — nothing related to the Ukraine crisis. This instance follows years of diplomatic tit-for-tats exchanged between the two countries.

The No. 2 person at the Russian embassy who will be leaving is the minister counselor.

You're missing the point. This isn't about protecting ethnic Russians, although it is a factor. It's about stopping a NATO owned Ukraine deploying nuclear weapons on Russia's border. This was never achieved diplomatically due to Nato, so the Russians are achieving this by force.

Thank you.

It's insane how small-minded some of the senior members are, especially the self-righteous ones whose pseudo-intellectual takes are full of fallacies of logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom