Russia tests upgraded MiG fighter jet for India

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Russia tests upgraded MiG fighter jet for India

162455348.jpg

Russia's MiG corporation on Friday carried out the first test fight of a MiG-29 fighter modernized under a contract with the Indian Air Force (IAF).
"On February 4, 2010, a MiG-29UPG fighter carried out its first test flight. The flight lasted for an hour and was flawless," MiG said in a statement.
The IAF has awarded the MiG corporation a $900 million contract to upgrade all of its 69 operational MiG-29s.

These upgrades include a new avionics kit, with the N-109 radar being replaced by a Phazatron Zhuk-M radar. The aircraft is also being equipped to enhance beyond-visual-range combat ability and for air-to-air refueling to increase flying time.

In 2007, Russia also gave India's Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) a license to manufacture 120 RD-33 series 3 turbojet engines for the upgrade.

The first six aircraft are being upgraded in Russia while the remaining 63 will be refitted at the HAL facility in India.\

MOSCOW, February 4 (RIA Novosti)

Russia tests upgraded MiG fighter jet for India | Defense | RIA Novosti

Thats a great news. They are fast, really, didn't expect that from Russian side. lol 88 Upgraded Mig-29 with Mirage-2000 upgrades will enhance the capabilities of IAF with all modern fighters.

Can anyone give a complete set of features these Fulcrums are being upgraded with ??

ps.: My favourite fighter in the IAF is going to be more deadly and more sexy. :)

Zhuk-M Radar

The N010M Zhuk- M is an advanced variant of the original N010 Zhuk radar introducing advanced air to surface functions like mapping and terrain following.

The radar forms part of the MiG-29SMT upgrade, the Zhuk-ME finding success on export MiG-29 aircraft to countries like India.

The radar features improved signal processing and has a detection range of up to 120 km vs a 5 m2 RCS target for the export variant, and up to 10 targets tracked and up to 4 attacked at once in air to air mode. The tracking range is 0.83 - 0.85 of the detection range.

In air to surface mode the radar can detect a tank from up to 25 km away and a bridge from 120 km away, a naval destroyer could be detected up to 300 km away and up to two surface targets can be tracked at once.

The radar has a weight of 220 kg and a scanning area of +/- 85 degrees in azimuth and +56/-40 degrees in elevation. The antenna is an electronically scanned slotted planar array and has a diameter of 624 mm.

Can anyone give a complete set of features these Fulcrums are being upgraded with ??

ps.: My favourite fighter in the IAF is going to be more deadly and more sexy. :)

The upgrade involves increasing the service life of approximately 69 MiG-29s, from the present 25 years (2,500 flight hours) to 40 years (3,500 hours). The upgrades are also expected to turn these air-superiority fighters into competent all-weather multi-role jets with beyond-visual-range combat capabilities.

The upgrade programme includes replacing existing radars with the advanced multi-functional Zhuk-ME radar and a new weapon control system. The twin-engined MiG-29s will carry sophisticated air-to-air missiles, high-accuracy air-to-ground missiles and 'smart aerial' bombs.

The Russian RAC MiG company will also plough back 30 per cent of the contract value into India by setting up consignment depots and service centres, along with simulator centres with training aids.

Upgraded for India MiG-29UPG performs maiden flight : Defense news

Advanced multi-functional Zhuk-ME radar and a new weapon control system.

In-flight refueling capability

Dozens of minor tweaks.

Increasing the service life of approximately 69 MiG-29s, from the present 25 years (2,500 flight hours) to 40 years (3,500 hours).

The package is also expected to include state-of-the-art avionics and cockpit ergonomics, along with an increase in fuel capacity.

Adding new electronics, but also making the airframe more robust.

Expectedly, the upgrades will include some sub-systems from Israel.

The upgrades are also expected to turn these air-superiority fighters into competent all-weather multi-role jets which will now exercise beyond-visual-range capabilities.

The upgrade involves increasing the service life of approximately 69 MiG-29s, from the present 25 years (2,500 flight hours) to 40 years (3,500 hours).[/url]

We must see this in the light of the service life of the F16 which is an amazing 8000 hrs!!!

This is the reason I like the F16 a lot. Paisa bhi bachana hai na?

Mig 29K is more advanced than Mig 29 SMT so why we are not upgrading them into Mig 29K level ???

Back
Top Bottom