What's new

Russia seeks to sell stealth jets to Korea

pakfa bit change the whole Korean game
i m surprise that north Korea is not protesting on Russian decision
f-35 will be the ideal for winning the game
pakfa will not be ready before 2017-18

just a question. i know North-Korea is poor, but what is their stance in pak-fa? will they get it?

just a question. i know North-Korea is poor, but what is their stance in pak-fa? will they get it?

Russia is not Soviet Union to be able to donate everything for countries that have not come out of the post-industrial 50s era like North Korea. DPRK is right now barely able to manage to replace their current fleet of MiG-17 and MiG-19s (their most advanced fighter is the MiG-29). I was asking the other day to some Pakistani member on what does he think about providing North Koreans with FC-1s as a replacement to the vintage MiGs, but he mistook my question for sarcasm and reported me.

I think this era is all about realpolitik and not ideology as seen that Communism has failed (China too adopted capitalist economic structure to modernize). North Korea needs to remove their Kims and come and join rest of the world in peaceful co-existence and avail modern amenities. As such the Kims are making their own people starve.

Reunification is the only way. And yes, Dr. Evil and Mini Me need to go.

South Korea is in 2025 while North Korea is in 1950. How would the unification be possible with a million plus Red soldiers under the thumb of the fat Kims of DPRK? South has always welcomed the unification and peace due to their patient politics while Kim wants to again and again highlight every non-communist as Imperialist puppet and retain his stranglehold on the country.

If Bush had eliminated Kim family rather than wasting lives and money in Iraq against a person who had no direct enmity with USA, he would have been hailed as a hero rather than a villain.

Russia is not Soviet Union to be able to donate everything for countries that have not come out of the post-industrial 50s era like North Korea. DPRK is right now barely able to manage to replace their current fleet of MiG-17 and MiG-19s (their most advanced fighter is the MiG-29). I was asking the other day to some Pakistani member on what does he think about providing North Koreans with FC-1s as a replacement to the vintage MiGs, but he mistook my question for sarcasm and reported me.

I think this era is all about realpolitik and not ideology as seen that Communism has failed (China too adopted capitalist economic structure to modernize). North Korea needs to remove their Kims and come and join rest of the world in peaceful co-existence and avail modern amenities. As such the Kims are making their own people starve.

a bit embarasing, but could you show me a picture of FC-1, i cant remember what it was!

Some feed back from the Korean side on this story.

The Republic of Korea does use Russian arms and Russia is the no. 1 source of military technology for Korea. Korea's entire guided missile industry(SAM, Portable SAM, cruise, supersonic anti-ship, tactical ballistic, ballistic missile interceptor, and infrared A2A missile) was built around transferred Russian technology, and Russia was the reason Korea decided to stay out of US's Missile Defense and build its own missile defense network called AMD-CELL, because of transferred Russian S-400 technology. The reason Russia has been eager to deal with Korea was that Korea was a good customer which actually honors the terms of contract(Unlike Chinese), like not showing transferred tech to Americans if asked to.

As for the question of PAK-FA's chances of winning the bid, it all depends on the quality of bid. PAK-FA is obviously the strongest of four candidates best suited to dominate over China's J-20, and Koreans have no problem with Russian hardware as long as the maintenance support is decent, which hasn't been to date and this is something that Russians must work on to improve. Politics play a surprisingly little role in selection process because the bid evaluation process is transparent with scoring revealed to the parliament and to public. Koreans prefer the US gear because they provide best performance/cost ratio and are reliable, but if somebody else can beat the US bids in terms of value, there is no problem with selecting that non-US bid, which happened many times before.

Contrary to the false belief outside, F-35 is not the leader in this competition; the ROKAF chief actually opposes F-35 and is personally campaigning against it. F-35 carries a number of requirements that is considered unacceptable to Korean military, such as the requirement that it be maintained at the Pacific regional F-35 service depot in Japan, and being a poor value for money with zero tech transfers. F-35 is a "Take it or leave it" kind of deal with inflexible pricing, maintenance, and tech-transfer, and is seen as being in the competition to be used as a pawn to negotiate better terms from the other three vendors, not because Korean Airforce wants it.

South Korea is in 2025 while North Korea is in 1950. How would the unification be possible with a million plus Red soldiers under the thumb of the fat Kims of DPRK? South has always welcomed the unification and peace due to their patient politics while Kim wants to again and again highlight every non-communist as Imperialist puppet and retain his stranglehold on the country.

If Bush had eliminated Kim family rather than wasting lives and money in Iraq against a person who had no direct enmity with USA, he would have been hailed as a hero rather than a villain.

W. & E. Germany were about as different as N. & S. Korea

And why would Bush be hailed as a hero for attacking North Korea?
He would have ended up with a bigger war on his hands and wasted a lot more lives and money.

Iraq was a controversial scene - no doubt.

Knowing that North Korea is nuclear armed, I doubt if Bush had the balls to take that kind of risk. Patience is one of the means for reunification. I am sure the common folks of the North would have similar opinion. Dictators usually don't last forever, they are a curious and a paranoid bunch.

More land = good :D

Iraq was a controversial scene - no doubt.

Knowing that North Korea is nuclear armed, I doubt if Bush had the balls to take that kind of risk. Patience is one of the means for reunification. I am sure the common folks of the North would have similar opinion. Dictators usually don't last forever, they are a curious and a paranoid bunch.

More land = good :D
There is no excuse for that kind of error. Operation Iraqi Freedom where we finally overthrew Saddam Hussein was in 2003. North Korea claimed its FIRST nuclear test detonation in 2006. Even so, a test detonation does not mean any country actually 'weaponize' the device. So how could Bush have known about NKR's nuclear weapons program to be scared about it? Time travel?

Some feed back from the Korean side on this story.

The Republic of Korea does use Russian arms and Russia is the no. 1 source of military technology for Korea. Korea's entire guided missile industry(SAM, Portable SAM, cruise, supersonic anti-ship, tactical ballistic, ballistic missile interceptor, and infrared A2A missile) was built around transferred Russian technology, and Russia was the reason Korea decided to stay out of US's Missile Defense and build its own missile defense network called AMD-CELL, because of transferred Russian S-400 technology. The reason Russia has been eager to deal with Korea was that Korea was a good customer which actually honors the terms of contract(Unlike Chinese), like not showing transferred tech to Americans if asked to.

As for the question of PAK-FA's chances of winning the bid, it all depends on the quality of bid. PAK-FA is obviously the strongest of four candidates best suited to dominate over China's J-20, and Koreans have no problem with Russian hardware as long as the maintenance support is decent, which hasn't been to date and this is something that Russians must work on to improve. Politics play a surprisingly little role in selection process because the bid evaluation process is transparent with scoring revealed to the parliament and to public. Koreans prefer the US gear because they provide best performance/cost ratio and are reliable, but if somebody else can beat the US bids in terms of value, there is no problem with selecting that non-US bid, which happened many times before.

Contrary to the false belief outside, F-35 is not the leader in this competition; the ROKAF chief actually opposes F-35 and is personally campaigning against it. F-35 carries a number of requirements that is considered unacceptable to Korean military, such as the requirement that it be maintained at the Pacific regional F-35 service depot in Japan, and being a poor value for money with zero tech transfers. F-35 is a "Take it or leave it" kind of deal with inflexible pricing, maintenance, and tech-transfer, and is seen as being in the competition to be used as a pawn to negotiate better terms from the other three vendors, not because Korean Airforce wants it.

Something is not ringing quite true here in your statement.

South Korean Forces use a combination of Hawk, Nike, and Patriot SAM systems. All Patriot batteries are being upgraded to the PAC-3. There also has been no transfer of S400 technology. In fact Russia pulled the S400 off the international market. And AMD-CELL has to do with a radar warning system. Which Israel has won the contract for.

There is no excuse for that kind of error. Operation Iraqi Freedom where we finally overthrew Saddam Hussein was in 2003. North Korea claimed its FIRST nuclear test detonation in 2006. Even so, a test detonation does not mean any country actually 'weaponize' the device. So how could Bush have known about NKR's nuclear weapons program to be scared about it? Time travel?

CIA maybe? arent they supposed to be the best of the best? who found OBL! who found iranian nukes? why cant they find NK's nukes?

Something is not ringing quite true here in your statement.

South Korean Forces use a combination of Hawk, Nike, and Patriot SAM systems. All Patriot batteries are being upgraded to the PAC-3. There also has been no transfer of S400 technology. In fact Russia pulled the S400 off the international market. And AMD-CELL has to do with a radar warning system. Which Israel has won the contract for.

Actually their was a transfer of S-400 technology:agree:

Cheolmae II M-SAM Medium Surface to Air Missile

I'd suppose US Intel community would be well-rounded enough to know that before hand :D

Back
Top Bottom