What's new

Russia rejects MiG-29K for Kuznetsov

Regarding Su-33 v. Mig 29K, I am not sure if Indian ACs are big enough to even operate Su-33. Also, Su-33 in terms of avionics is actually very behind any modern jets including the Mig-29K. To build Su-33 for India, Russia would need to redesign a lot of things to modernize the plane. Unless the order is very substantial, it is economically viable to redesign this and then reopen the production line.

Unless India can get carrier borne EF-2000 or Rafael, the Mig-29k will be India's only choice. As for Russia, the Mig-29K is obviously too limited in range and weapon load. Maybe Russia will just buy the Eurofighter naval version, too.

Regarding Su-33 v. Mig 29K, I am not sure if Indian ACs are big enough to even operate Su-33. Also, Su-33 in terms of avionics is actually very behind any modern jets including the Mig-29K. To build Su-33 for India, Russia would need to redesign a lot of things to modernize the plane. Unless the order is very substantial, it is economically viable to redesign this and then reopen the production line.

Unless India can get carrier borne EF-2000 or Rafael, the Mig-29k will be India's only choice. As for Russia, the Mig-29K is obviously too limited in range and weapon load. Maybe Russia will just buy the Eurofighter naval version, too.

My friend you are wrong here, the problem is not avionics; russians have up to date good enough avionics, weapons systems and weapons A2A/A2G the only hurdle is the platform which is hors du marché an outgoing out of the market product.

India has the money....couple billions more for Russia to stretch dozen of feets of Admiral Goshkov to accomodate su-33 type is not a big deal...

lets be honest- the mig 29k is a new machine and is very capable - maybe not as capable as a su 33upg but definitely more than sufficient for the task it will be given ( most probably it will be used against the PN which doesnt really have anything which could bring down the mig 29k with any consistency ). but i dont think we will be using it against the chinese - for them we will be fielding the N-MRCA jets probably the rafale or maybe even the f 35 - so i dont see a problem for the indian navy.
as far as crashes are concerned - yes the mig 29 is a logistical nightmare( according to most sources) but in the IAF there have been only 10 mig 29 crashes ever ( which is more than 25 yrs of flying).
but lets compare that record to the "safe" f -16 - pakistan has been flying around 50 f -16s since about the same time india has been flying its 70 mig 29s - both have had nearly same number of crashes - 9 for the PAF ,despite them flying fewer number of planes and arguably for fewer flying hours per year.
http://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F-16/mishaps-and-accidents/airforce/PAF/
Warbirds of India - [Air Crash / Attrition Listings of the Indian Air Forces]

lets be honest- the mig 29k is a new machine and is very capable - maybe not as capable as a su 33upg but definitely more than sufficient for the task it will be given ( most probably it will be used against the PN which doesnt really have anything which could bring down the mig 29k with any consistency ). but i dont think we will be using it against the chinese - for them we will be fielding the N-MRCA jets probably the rafale or maybe even the f 35 - so i dont see a problem for the indian navy.
as far as crashes are concerned - yes the mig 29 is a logistical nightmare( according to most sources) but in the IAF there have been only 10 mig 29 crashes ever ( which is more than 25 yrs of flying).
but lets compare that record to the "safe" f -16 - pakistan has been flying around 50 f -16s since about the same time india has been flying its 70 mig 29s - both have had nearly same number of crashes - 9 for the PAF ,despite them flying fewer number of planes and arguably for fewer flying hours per year.
http://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F-16/mishaps-and-accidents/airforce/PAF/
Warbirds of India - [Air Crash / Attrition Listings of the Indian Air Forces]

Indeed, India has not adversay in Indian Ocean..so Mig-29k is more than enought

Indeed, India has not adversay in Indian Ocean..so Mig-29k is more than enought

They wanted a light aircraft, not a heavy one like SU-33. India's AC is relatively small. Operating a heavy fighter would've been a cumbersome job. That's one of the reasons why the Americans retired the F-14.

The Indians have intention for more. Rafale, and F-18 are competing.

your posts are personal attacks nothing more .let me tell you since 1994 we lose single f-16 in crash and in last 2 years india lose 2 su-30mki so? look at f-7 copy of mig-21 why they never fall apart? even mighty mig-19 copy A-5 fantan was in service since many years but only 2 crash in whole service life .then go back look mig-29 su-30 crash rate .
Interesting,But there is a little correction sir... Last PAF F16 crashwas in 2009...and as faar as the crash record is concern mmm...
Aircraft --------Procured------Crashed
F16(PAF) ------------- 54 ------------- 09
MIG29(IAF) ---------80 --------------14
Su30(IAF) ----------159 ---------------02
Miraage(IAF)------ 59 --------------08

So sir now you can your self find out that which aircraft has the worst crash record among them...not to forget the low flying hour of F16 in 90ies..due to low availability of spare parts(sanctions)..and 14 out of 54 were recieved between 2005 to 2008...

Regarding Su-33 v. Mig 29K, I am not sure if Indian ACs are big enough to even operate Su-33.
not the current ones, but the new one india plan to build itself should be equal to what the russian are operating, the Su-33 doesn't really need a very big carrier to work, they just cannot carry as many; it is an operational risk to have fewer planes...

India has the money....couple billions more for Russia to stretch dozen of feets of Admiral Goshkov to accomodate su-33 type is not a big deal...

For a "couple billions more", rather than have the old Gorshkov refurbished, India could've commissioned Russia to build an entirely new aircraft carrier.

The MiG-29K is cheaper to maintain than bigger Flanker-types, and as a point-defence fighter it functions well as a fleet air defence/interceptor aircraft. The heavier Su-33, apart from being ill suited for operations from a refurbished Gorshkov, is not as economical a fighter. Hence, also, the Russian Navy's interest in MiG-29Ks.

Back
Top Bottom