What's new

Russia in talks to build another 3 frigates for India

What we need are modern submarines and a fleet air defence destroyer like the type 45.Hope barak 8 is upto it.

We need ships like shivalik class not talwar class .

What's wrong with the Talwar Class?? They are world class frigates and whoever underestimates them is in for a surprise. On top of that they are being built a lot faster than the Shivaliks( Indian shipyards delay more than even the Russians).

What's wrong with the Talwar Class?? They are world class frigates and whoever underestimates them is in for a surprise. On top of that they are being built a lot faster than the Shivaliks( Indian shipyards delay more than even the Russians).

I think he is talking about multirole frigates like the shivalik class while Talwar class are designed only for ASW role, but Talwar class has it's own advantage - not pricey, no delay, efficient ships to fill the gaps of IN when our own shipyards are full with orders, so i think IN has done the right thing by going for 3 more.

I think he is talking about multirole frigates like the shivalik class while Talwar class are designed only for ASW role, but Talwar class has it's own advantage - not pricey, no delay, efficient ships to fill the gaps of IN when our own shipyards are full with orders, so i think IN has done the right thing by going for 3 more.

I see it the same way and when you look at the important roles and threats that IN has to cover, Frigats and Corvettes are the most important addition at the moment anyway.
However, the increase of Talwar class might be the reason why IN wants a different LUH with ASW capability, because the S70/NH90s might not fit in the Hangars and the naval Dhruv was rejected. Shivalik class on the other side was designed with 2 Sea King class helicopters in mind.

Ok..i think we need to go for a further tranche of upgrades here. possibly fitting mr-sam, nirbhay .possibly a flush deck, and a new radar like the mf star.

Talwars are multi role as well if I am not mistaken. If their only role was ASW then the IN would not bother arming them with expensive missiles like the Brahmos and Klub.

Personally I would much rather the IN went for 3 more P-17As but if timing is a concern then the IN really has no choice but to go for these-Indian shipyards are booked out for the next 5-6 years.

shivalik has better ASW capability , much better propulsion(CODOG) and better armament

Talwars are multi role as well if I am not mistaken. If their only role was ASW then the IN would not bother arming them with expensive missiles like the Brahmos and Klub.

Yes u r right, Talwar class can be called as a multi role ships but there main emphasis is on ASW role:

India Orders 3 More Krivak III/Talwar Class Frigates

The Krivak III/ Talwar Class ships like INS Tabar are not really stealth warships, esp. by comparison to more modern designs like Singapore’s new Formidable Class frigates from France (a Lafayette Class derivative). They’re best described as mid-range multi-role frigates, with some stealth features and a potential emphasis on anti-submarine work.

I see it the same way and when you look at the important roles and threats that IN has to cover, Frigats and Corvettes are the most important addition at the moment anyway.
However, the increase of Talwar class might be the reason why IN wants a different LUH with ASW capability, because the S70/NH90s might not fit in the Hangars and the naval Dhruv was rejected. Shivalik class on the other side was designed with 2 Sea King class helicopters in mind.

@Sancho, can u explain as to why IN is not going for large no. of destroyers & going for more & more Frigates & corvettes instead, what role exactly the latter two play than a destroyer, i thought destroyers are the most lethal addition to any navy.

Yes u r right, Talwar class can be called as a multi role ships but there main emphasis is on ASW role:

India Orders 3 More Krivak III/Talwar Class Frigates

You are right, they deployed in west to contain pak subs with some effective missles and easy and low maintenance. /On the otherhand shivaliks are designed to contain broader threat,supporting verstile role and long range.
~
Quoting Yantar shipyard's general director Alexander Konovalov on 9 November, the Interfax-AVN military news agency said India was currently in negotiations with Russia over a circa //USD40 million penalty payment// for the late delivery of the frigates. This could be paid inthe form of //additional work// on the ships, Konovalov noted.
~
Can anyone explain?
~
India's second Russian-built Talwar-class frigate enters service
_

@Sancho, can u explain as to why IN is not going for large no. of destroyers & going for more & more Frigates & corvettes instead, what role exactly the latter two play than a destroyer, i thought destroyers are the most lethal addition to any navy.
becoz our shipyards are not experienced enough to produce more number of ships in less time.technology expires very fast.
That is why we are moving on to modular construction.(Project 17A has 7 in order)

You are right, they deployed in west to contain pak subs with some effective missles and easy and low maintenance. /On the otherhand shivaliks are designed to contain broader threat,supporting verstile role and long range.
~
Quoting Yantar shipyard's general director Alexander Konovalov on 9 November, the Interfax-AVN military news agency said India was currently in negotiations with Russia over a circa //USD40 million penalty payment// for the late delivery of the frigates. This could be paid inthe form of //additional work// on the ships, Konovalov noted.
~
Can anyone explain?
~
India's second Russian-built Talwar-class frigate enters service
_

I don't think now any upgrade in the ship will take place as the ship is already handed over to the IN with the joining in western command scheduled in December 2012. Can't say if they are talking of changes in the third of the ship (batch 2) to be inducted.

+ one thing is very important to note, contract was signed in July 2006 for Batch 2 ships & last of them is going to be inducted in 2013 while P-17 frigates i.e. Shivalik's approval by GOI was given way back in 1997 & last of the three ship joined in 2012, i know Shivaliks are more better & heavier ships compared to Talwars but the difference in construction timing is huge - 15 years for Shivaliks compared to 7 years of Talwars :woot:

That doesn't mean you need a heavily armed destroyer for any normal role, you don't expect FGFAs to be used in LCAs point defence roles either right? Not to mention that Indian Frigats are pretty well armed anyway when compared to others around the world. But you have to keep in mind that we are just on the verge of beeing a blue water navy, most of what IN is needed for today is, costal defence and covering the Bay of Bengal or the Arabian Sea, with hardly any potent enemy available, so why should we waste huge amounts of money for a few more destroyers, when we can buy numbers of good Frigats and Corvettes?
Just look at other navies and how many Destroyers they have in their fleets and you hardly will find high numbers of them, but when we will have more carrier groups and more blue water capabilities I am sure we might see more orders for Shivalik and Kolkata class ships too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom