What's new

Russia, Egypt nearing $3bn arms deal: report

Will Russia upgrade these fighters over time as a part of the deal?

I don't know for sure but upgrades are always offered with almost all aircraft manufacturers, and I don't think those will need any upgrades for a while, they are the latest technology available.

Point of my comparison was wrt mig-29 m which are significantly less capable than mig-35 and mig-29k

Well, I'd say the Mig-29M and Mig-29K are in the same class, why? Cause the Radar and armaments are the same, you are comparing the Mig-29K to the Mig-29M of the late 1980s, not the one from much later, the Mig-29 M\M2 Egypt was supposed to buy is different from the Mig-29M of the late Soviet era, Mikoyan used the same designation for both for some reason. The Mig-29M\M2 and the Mig-29K\KUB are one the same but one is a naval version and incorporates foreign components, the Mig-35 is the one that is different (due to the AESA radar), but all 3 have many commonalities. Anyway the Mig-29s, modern ones, are of modular design, so each order is different, as each customer is sure to incorporate foreign sub-systems of their choice.

Only 24-27 mig29 fighters in $3 billion ??they can easily get 28 typhoon ,rafale, or 26 f15 in this price.....

Brah we bought 16? Block 52+"s amraams n upgrade kits with 5.6 billion $$ ... I doubt 3 billion would fetch em 28 typhoons even if they are offered at 70-80 million per unit (fly away cost) without weapons n stuff..

Egypt don’t need MIGs, they need heavy class fighters beside the medium F16 + cruise missiles on those fighters for a deterrence.

Why not 1-2 squadrons of SU 34.

Which cruise missiles ? Does Egypt produce any ALCMs ?

Last edited:
If the report is correct then egypt has done a good deal as usa will never supply it with aesa radar.

Zhuk ae is an aesa and huge upgrade over the zhuk m of mig-29 k of iaf which is just a simple pulse doppler radar.

And no the frames are not 100 pc same and nor are the sensors compared to mig 29 m,but to mig-29 k of indian airforce that contains israeli ecm and ukranian jammers along with other improvements.

Still they lack aesa and the 3d tvc.
So its an excellent deal with zhuk ae having stated range of 200km for 5 m2 target,thats almost double of apg 68 v9
Ukranian hammers got a source for that?n about the ECM aswell..

n $3 billion ??they
Brah we bought 16? Block 52+"s amraams n upgrade kits with 5.6 billion $$ ... I doubt 3 billion would fetch em 28 typhoons even if they are offered at 70-80 million per unit (fly away cost) without weapons n stuff..

Which cruise missiles ? Does Egypt produce any ALCMs ?

The deal includes other items than the Migs, many more.

And no Egypt doesn't produce any ALCMs and only has few AS-5s that are probably retired by now.

Well, the Mig-29 M\M2 with the Zhuk-AE radar is the Mig-35, as far as I know the air-frames are identical except for the radar and some avionics components and neither are in serial production, although the Russian AF supposed to be getting their 1st batch of Mig-35s pretty soon (I think they might have already received a few, I think I read something about it), and the info about Egypt getting the Mig-35 were quoted from the director of Rosoboronexport and on multiple sources. I think when they referred to technical difficulties they were referring to what kind of radar not the timeline for deliveries, but I could be wrong, those things are hard to know as there are no details available in open sources. And as for the JF-17, I don't think its the best choice, as the EAF already operates 240+ F-16s and the USA resumed its military aid to Egypt as they announced a couple of days ago, to apply a high-low mix, they'll use their existing fleet of F-16s and maybe upgrade the older ones, doesn't make sense to replace 240 of them with the JF-17s, plus the EAF needed an air superiority fighter, the JF-17 isn't the best for that role, and yes, the Su-35 would have been a better choice but who knows, maybe the EAF will be getting some of those too, you know the old mentality of secrecy the Egyptian military still has! And yes, the Mig-35 boosts up the EAF's capabilities against the Israeli F-15s no doubt, and the EAF needed that for a long time, they've been asking the Americans for F-15s and been denied, then F\A-18s and again been denied so the Mig-35 evens the odds, but still I wanted to see the Su-35 in the EAF, that jet would give the EAF a decisive edge over the Israeli F-15s and even the odds with their planned F-35s..
True enough, but for the JF-17 it is to replace some other old jets that need replacements soon I've heard, nothing to do with the F-16. it more of a complement to the F-16, and if Egypt can make it with TOT, that should be a good deal. Remember the Egyptian pilots fought the best airplanes the west had in the hands of USrael, just with Mig-21 mostly and shocked them many times.
Mig-35 is very good news since it is in par with the latest F-18 super hornet. SU-35s should follow, it is important.
Is Egypt making any cruise missiles like the KH, that Iran reverse engineered ,. it really scared the sh**t out of Israel, with the Iranian one having a range of only 3000 km, it must really have a very big explosive head, since the KH original range was 4000 km.

True enough, but for the JF-17 it is to replace some other old jets that need replacements soon I've heard, nothing to do with the F-16. it more of a complement to the F-16, and if Egypt can make it with TOT, that should be a good deal. Remember the Egyptian pilots fought the best airplanes the west had in the hands of USrael, just with Mig-21 mostly and shocked them many times.
Mig-35 is very good news since it is in par with the latest F-18 super hornet. SU-35s should follow, it is important.
Is Egypt making any cruise missiles like the KH, that Iran reverse engineered ,. it really scared the sh**t out of Israel, with the Iranian one having a range of only 3000 km, it must really have a very big explosive head, since the KH original range was 4000 km.

Supersonic cruise missiles ( shorter range ) are superior to subsonic, hard to shoot down unlike subsonic.

Back
Top Bottom