What's new

Russia delivers S-300 air-defence batteries to China

Rassia is still a superpower in airdefence system,but after 1991,most weapons of Rassia is updated on the base of Soviet weapons,few new designed weapons

Russia has delivered 15 batteries of S-300 surface-to-air missile systems to China, the manufacturer said Friday.

Igor Ashurbeili, general director of the Almaz-Antei, said it had thus completed the contract with China but gave no indication of how much it was worth or specifically how many S-300s had been delivered.

An S-300 battery is typically comprised of four truck-mounted installations, each consisting of four missiles.

A 'huge line' of foreign clients is waiting to buy S-300s and a more advanced version, the S-400, but that no new contracts would be signed for the time being, he said.

'First, we have to arm the Russian military. If there are available production capacities and we fulfill our current contracts, then this process (the signing of new contracts) will resume.'

The advanced version of the S-300 missile system, called S-300PMU1 (SA-20 Gargoyle), has a range of over 150 km and can intercept ballistic missiles and aircraft at low and high altitudes, making the system an effective tool for warding off possible airstrikes.

It can simultaneously track up to 100 targets and engage up to 12.

I think the author of this news cannot tell the differences between S300 and S300PUM2. he or she is totally a laymen.

I checked the chinese news just now. A famous Hongkong based newpaper TaKungPao says Russian company Almaz-Antei claimed that they have delievered 15 batteries of S-300PMU2 since August,1997 to November, 2009 citing the source from VOA.

Chinese source

I dont think it is even a piece of news. Everyone knows china is buying S300PUM2 from Russia in recently years. They constitute a huge share of the sharply-shrinking Sino-Russia military trade. The spokesman of Russian company also express the prospect that china will consider their S400. it seems that they are trying to kill their golden goose. have they forgotten the story of HQ9 and HHQ9? :smitten:

yes, it's well known that technology from the S-300 systems bought in the 90's were incorporated into the HQ-9, is that a problem? this was done over 10 years ago.
There is no problem with that. I was replying to this

it proves nothing other than russia was late on delivery, we ordered this 8 years ago.
we've already mass produced HQ-9s with 200 km range.

If you read the article I posted closely you will notice that you have been ordering S300s from 1991 till 2004. So If you had incorporated S300 design in HQ9 and were mass producing it then why did you kept placing orders for more S-300? :azn:

new designs incorporate indigenous technology, we've moved beyond indigenous production alone for quite some time.
Good for you and Best wishes but if you have indigenous superior production then why are you interested in Russian S-400.

this only proves that Russia has been slow in delivery.
The article says ur order in 91 was delivered in 93 and order in 2003 was delivered in 2007. orders in late 2004 were delivered now. Does this show the slowness in delivery? Do you expect them to have something ready made that they can pack and give it to you as soon as you place an order?

india should seek to try to move from buying to indigenous production before even thinking about making improvements.
Thanks for the advise! We are trying hard and our efforts have give some positive results..

If you read the article I posted closely you will notice that you have been ordering S300s from 1991 till 2004. So If you had incorporated S300 design in HQ9 and were mass producing it then why did you kept placing orders for more S-300? :azn:

Good for you and Best wishes but if you have indigenous superior production then why are you interested in Russian S-400.

HQ-9 has better performance than original version of S-300. Chinese bought plenty of S300 before HQ-9 was mass inducted, and they are still buying S300PMU2 today, which have a much better performance than S-300. The author of this article confused two of them.

HQ-9/-15, and RF-9 (HHQ-9 and S-300) (China) - Jane's Strategic Weapon Systems

Chinese abm technology is "secret" yet somehow you have arrived to the conclusion that it's "superior" to the S-300, on what grounds do you make these claims, esspecially when the Chinese recently ordered S-300?

Talk about a vague statement with zero credibility, mind telling us how you came to this conclusion or who these so called "followers" are?

Reality check, you just bragged about having superior technology dispite the fact that you yourself have acknowledged that the Chinese capabilities are "hidden."

chinese ABM technology is one that russia has never gotten right: exoatmospheric kinetic kill vehicle for midcourse interception

pentagon released statement on our ABM test: 2 geographically separate missile launches followed shortly by an exoatmospheric collision. any SAM won't be able to be exoatmospheric including the S-300.

S-300 PMU2 was superior to our HQ-9 but our HQ-9 is itself superior to the original S-300.

chinese ABM technology is one that russia has never gotten right: exoatmospheric kinetic kill vehicle for midcourse interception

I'll show you the definition of "right."

The new missile defense system will be capable of intercepting targets at target-speeds up to five kilometers per second, out of earth upper atmosphere. The S-500 is expected to have an extended range of up to 600 km and simultaneously engage up to 10 targets. The system will be capable of destroying hypersonic and ballistic targets. S-500 will be a successor of the S-300 developed in the 1990s and operate in tandem with the S-400 currently entering service with Russian air defense forces.

Russia Develops the S-500 - a New Anti-Missile Defense System

The Chinese KKV destroyed a satelite, meaning it was built for that mission, the S-500, on the other hand was built for a different purpose, air defence, as mentioned earlier th S-500 can destroy 10 hypersonic targets at once and it can do it out of the earth's atmosphere.

Last edited:

pentagon released statement on our ABM test: 2 geographically separate missile launches followed shortly by an exoatmospheric collision. any SAM won't be able to be exoatmospheric including the S-300.

S-300 PMU2 was superior to our HQ-9 but our HQ-9 is itself superior to the original S-300.

any sam wont b able for exoatmospheric collision except HQ-9,r u kidding americans had already done it before u

and 1 more thing if ur HQ-9 is better then s-300 why u purchased it,i think u know the reason why,and if dont i can tell u

Very rational decision by china. I can see the trend changing since india has been claiming technological edge over chinese quantitative edge.

This will further stop Chinese fan boys claiming about their indigenous efforts and bashing Indian failures. Its time to learn Chinese real capabilities and prepare better defencive doctrine.

whats th state of chinese domestic SAMS this purchase does prove something about their capability

AV
More they will procure more we will know about ground reality at least now they are being honest to themselves. i cant speak on Chinese nauseating jingos but PLA has started thinking rational since balance is tilting harmonically more frequently now.

Our curry friends, if your reading ability or military knowledge is not sufficient to tell the differences among variants of S-300s, you don't belong to here.

I'll show you the definition of "right."

I don't care your definition of "right". Atleast i know china successfully conducted a mid-course anti-missile test once. Americans failed more than half of their tests. You guys dare not even have the very idea.

China Defence Discussions relating to Pakistan's ally, and a new emerging power. Discussion strictly on the military over view, weapons development, and defence industry. If the letter was followed in spirit the likes of you would not be able to post at all. :mod:

Back
Top Bottom