What's new

Rs 37,000 Crore of Defence Ministry’s Modernization Budget Remains Underutilized

More than 5 billion buy some S 400 or Rafael from this money for God sake :hitwall:

You're talking about the MMRCA of printer selection bro, I'm sure those printers can be in Indian service by 2060...

You know i have a feeling to break the logjam we have to buy some of these printers "off the shelf" :woot::cheesy::meeting:

But again the sheer price of such a deal will cause such an issue that even then we will have to keep funds un-utilized.

:laughcry::laughcry::laughcry:

whats exactly is done with all this money?

@Star Wars @arp2041 @PARIKRAMA @MilSpec @nair @AUSTERLITZ @IndoUS @IndoCarib @anant_s @SpArK @Ankit Kumar @Dillinger @Levina @Echo_419 @Koovie @mkb95 @knight11 @jbgt90 @Dash @Taygibay @hellfire @ayesha.a @Capt.Popeye @scorpionx @kbd-raaf @Vauban @a@Roybot @JanjaWeed @hinduguy @Chanakya's_Chant @Parul @Guynextdoor2 @janon @Dandpatta @Hindustani78 @danish_vij @C130

whats exactly is done with all this money?
Returned to the Fin Min, sadly the funds do not carry over to the next FY for the forces to spend.

The more I think about it the angrier I get. There are militaries/countries around the world who are cutting their defence budgets because of economic constraints, but in India the money is there but it is being unused? Literally ONLY IN INDIA :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

I could understand it if India was in recession and macro economic issues took precedence over military spending but this issue is more egregious than that and more unfathomable- the money is there, the demand is there but the funds are being spent? What the hell is going on??

Everyone from the senior Military brass to MoD babus to the poltical leadership need to be made to pay for this unspeakable crime. Posthumous medals are all well and good but then some of these lives could have been saved if these funds were used effectively, why not honour all servicemen and women whilst they are alive and give them what they need?! :mad:

Where is the media in all of this? MIA as usual when it comes to covering the real issues. Where are those bleeding heart liberals returning their awards for this injustice?

The second time in two days I am using this quote, it is almost written with India in mind:

“Nowhere have I seen such Lions led by such Lambs.”-General Max von Gallwitz

Last edited:
@Star Wars @arp2041 @PARIKRAMA @MilSpec @nair @AUSTERLITZ @IndoUS @IndoCarib @anant_s @SpArK @Dillinger @Levina @Echo_419 @Koovie @mkb95 @knight11 @ayesha.a @Capt.Popeye @scorpionx @kbd-raaf @Roybot @JanjaWeed @hinduguy @Chanakya's_Chant @Parul @Guynextdoor2 @janon @Dandpatta @danish_vij

Returned to the Fin Min, sadly the funds to not carry over to the next FY for the forces.

The more I think about it the angrier I get. There are militaries/countries around the world who are cutting their defence budgets because of economic constraints, but in India the money is there but it is being unused? Literally ONLY IN INDIA :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

I could understand it if India was in recession and macro economic issues took precedence over military spending but this issue is more aggrgious than that and more unfathomable- the money is there, the demand is there but the funds are being spent? What the hell is going on??

Everyone from the senior Military brass to MoD babus to the poltical leadership need to be made to pay for this unspeakable crime. Posthumous medals are all well and good but then some of these lives could have been saved if these funds were used effectively, why not honour all servicemen and women whilst they are alive and give them what they need?! :mad:

Where is the media in all of this? MIA as usual when it comes to covering the real issues. Where are those bleeding heart liberals returning their awards for this injustice?

The second time in two days I am using this quote, it is almost written with India in mind:

At best Min is doing what Anthony is doing- slowing it down till every bolt is clean. But no- what they're doing is worse. How can the def min focus on his job when Modi makes him prioritize Delhi elections, Bihar elections and so on?

At best Min is doing what Anthony is doing- slowing it down till every bolt is clean.
That would have been more understandable than what Anthony did. He did not intiate any reform to speak of and took few steps to clean any bolts. He simply hit the brakes and waited out the clock when he could move on with his "clean image" intact.

I am not going engage in any revisionism when it comes to the "Saint", he has blood on his hands and he actually set back India's national security to huge degrees.

But no- what they're doing is worse. How can the def min focus on his job when Modi makes him prioritize Delhi elections, Bihar elections and so on?

Actually the problem is far more systamatic than this. It would almost be understandable if the current situation could be explained away by a Def Min being distracted by non-ministerial work but there is a failure across the board from the bureaucrats to military leadership, the political leadership is just at the top of this $hit heap.

This is the scenario year on year, 30-40% of defense budget goes unspent every year, the confusing part is the complete lack of coordination between the service brass, the R&D labs and the MOD.

There is one quarter left. According to this article 60% has been spent in 3 quarters. So for full year at that rate, 80% will be spent with about 20% left over. So its not great efficieny, but one that is improving over the 30 - 40% left over annually of crappy UPA.

It is a slow process to get defence ministry ship shape and reformed so we have higher spending efficiency. All the middle level bureaucrats put in there during UPA tenure have to get their feet held to the fire and booted out and replaced if they dont meet the mark. Might take 1 - 2 more years to get to 90%+ spending completion annually.

There must be a cold hard look into why the Army especially is the laggard...if there are any procurement officers and officials that are gumming up the works, that needs to be sorted out this year. There must be a quarterly or at least semesterly review on defence unspent funds....and target on fixing the sources of why that happens.

5 Billion goes unused , still our army airmen use obsolete Alouttes,still our Navy ships go without ASW helis, still we have flying coffins.
5 Billion us enough to buy 120 Mig29s. It would replace half of our flying coffins.

5 billion multiplied with X number of years, that's a 100 billion for 2 decades. .

There is one quarter left. According to this article 60% has been spent in 3 quarters. So for full year at that rate, 80% will be spent with about 20% left over. So its not great efficieny, but one that is improving over the 30 - 40% left over annually of crappy UPA.

It is a slow process to get defence ministry ship shape and reformed so we have higher spending efficiency. All the middle level bureaucrats put in there during UPA tenure have to get their feet held to the fire and booted out and replaced if they dont meet the mark. Might take 1 - 2 more years to get to 90%+ spending completion annually.

There must be a cold hard look into why the Army especially is the laggard...if there are any procurement officers and officials that are gumming up the works, that needs to be sorted out this year. There must be a quarterly or at least semesterly review on defence unspent funds....and target on fixing the sources of why that happens.

Lack of coordination between the services / MOD, plenty of checks and balances to avoid middle men, corruption etc.

A major general from the army is under investigation for procurement corruption at the moment. This either slows down the process or discourages people from decision making promptly.

5 Billion goes unused , still our army airmen use obsolete Alouttes,still our Navy ships go without ASW helis, still we have flying coffins.
5 Billion us enough to buy 120 Mig29s. It would replace half of our flying coffins.
Until the politicians and bureaucrats pockets are lined, they don't sign on the dotted line, so funds go waste! That's the story in a nutshell.

By the way, unspent amount is now allowed to be carried forward to the next year, not returned.

Returned to the Fin Min, sadly the funds do not carry over to the next FY for the forces to spend.

A small hypothesis... Is this the way we are having a black project budget... i mean sums not utilized ... or just fiscal actions of controlling spendings? if its just controlling expenses then where are black project investments clubbed? Especially not in public books ones...

@Star Wars @arp2041 @PARIKRAMA @MilSpec @nair @AUSTERLITZ @IndoUS @IndoCarib @anant_s @SpArK @Ankit Kumar @Dillinger @Levina @Echo_419 @Koovie @mkb95 @knight11 @jbgt90 @Dash @Taygibay @hellfire @ayesha.a @Capt.Popeye @scorpionx @kbd-raaf @Vauban @a@Roybot @JanjaWeed @hinduguy @Chanakya's_Chant @Parul @Guynextdoor2 @janon @Dandpatta @Hindustani78 @danish_vij @C130

I could understand it if India was in recession and macro economic issues took precedence over military spending but this issue is more egregious than that and more unfathomable- the money is there, the demand is there but the funds are being spent? What the hell is going on??

What is the Main reason of this fu**-up.Is it srsly that hard to use the limited defense modernization budget ?

I doubt these figures are correct. Another article quoted the amount as 35% of the total amount allocated to IA. And the govt was supposed to reduce the capex from ratio of 60:40 to 50:50, and eventually take it to 40:60 in the long term. That should help overcome this issue. It is also important that govt prevents any transfer of amount (under capital procurement head) to running expenses.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom