What's new

Routes to Central Asia being constructed, says Nawaz

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Tuesday announced the commencement of construction on two motorways connecting Pakistan with Termez in Central Asia.

The PM told the National Assembly that the Gwadar-Termez motorway will connect Gwadar to Central Asia, as Termez lies between Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan and Tajikistan.

Addressing members of the National Assembly from Balochistan, he said: "I want to tell them that from Gwadar, this 650 kilometre road which meets Chaman will be complete by 2016. The western route will also be completed."

The route from Termez to Mazar-i-Sharif, which will go onto Kandahar and then Chaman, is being developed.

He said that interior Balochistan will be 'open' as a result of these projects, saying "Quetta will be joined to the rest of the country by road".

He said that the motorway from Peshawar to Torkham on to Jalalabad was also under construction and would be completed very soon.

The route goes on to connect with Kabul, Mazar-i-Sharif and Termez, so Pakistan would have two routes to access Central Asia.

The PM said the government was undertaking "a very large project for roads and communication in Pakistan", adding that the project which will cost hundreds of billions this year and the next would connect the whole country and each province to one another. He said the project was "for the unity and integration of Pakistan, to end differences inside Pakistan".

Read more: PM inaugurates Metro Bus project: 'This is a changing Pakistan'

The prime minister also promised at least Rs22.5bn in development funds for projects in Karachi.

The Green Line project, which Nawaz Sharif said would cost at least Rs20-25 billion, "will be funded 100 per cent by the government", while a Rs2bn grant has been released for the K4 water supply project for Karachi.

The premier said "[Chief Minister Sindh Qaim Ali Shah] will keep Rs2.5bn for the [K4] project. I said the federal government will match the amount with a grant. We have already released Rs2bn of the Rs2.5bn grant for the project."

Speaking about the Green Line project, he said: "The Green Line is a present to the people of Karachi and Sindh. We have set aside and released Rs5bn for the Green Line."

He said that although both projects are the responsibility of the Sindh government, the federal government would also contribute to these.

"This is the duty of the provincial government," he said, referring to the Green Line. "The Lahore Metro Bus was built through provincial government funds. The Islamabad-Rawalpindi Metro was paid for by the Punjab government and the federal government [which paid for the Islamabad part]. But the federal government is paying for this project."

Nawaz Sharif also said that work on the Karachi-Hyderabad Motorway was under way and that the project should be complete by the middle of 2017. The motorway would connect both Karachi and Hyderabad to Lahore.

Routes to Central Asia being constructed, says Nawaz - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

These routes are old defined all we need is peace in these areas centralasian route will be from Lowari tunnel chitral to tajikistan via wakhan corridors Salute to Musharaf who took great step forward for starting construction of one of the most important tunnel in pakistan which is another gateway to central asia

These routes are old defined all we need is peace in these areas centralasian route will be from Lowari tunnel chitral to tajikistan via wakhan corridors Salute to Musharaf who took great step forward for starting construction of one of the most important tunnel in pakistan which is another gateway to central asia
I am not aware of any route passing through wakhan corridor. 0 road exists in that region

I am not sure if Musharraf had ever dreamed about such a route but certainly no such route exists in 2015

Wakhan Corridor

9767312.jpg

Route to Central Asia ? Does he know that Afghanistan comes in the way. Someone show the duffer PM a map please.

Route to Central Asia ? Does he know that Afghanistan comes in the way. Someone show the duffer PM a map please.
The same term is used by every politician in Pakistan including ex-President Zardari.

The ambition to link Central Asia via Afghanistan is decades old. The same article is already highlighting the entire route from Gwadar to Termez via Quetta, Chaman, enter Afghanistan and passing through Kandahar, Mazar-i-Sharif linking Termez near the border of Central Asian countries.

Most of the road already exists, they only need to complete ongoing project of National highway linking Gwadar and Quetta. There is already a road link between Quetta and Kanadahar via Chaman.. also there is beautiful Kandahar to Kabul Highway in Afghanistan which can be upgraded if needed and AH76 goes further towards Termez.

The road network in Afghanistan does exist, So it is not wrong to say that if we link Gwadar with Quetta, we already have a road network connecting Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan.

I am not aware of any route passing through wakhan corridor. 0 road exists in that region

I am not sure if Musharraf had ever dreamed about such a route but certainly no such route exists in 2015

Wakhan Corridor

9767312.jpg

vision of making lowari tunnel was not only connecting chitral but also making hub of trade in future when pakistan will go ahead with the road link project which was signed by gillani still no ground work

36km road can link Pakistan, Tajikistan

CHITRAL NEWS...Chitral Pakistan, News, Views, Travel, Tourism, Adventure, Culture, Lifestyle, Chitral.

tajikistan has made road on their side we havent laid a single stone on our side .. and wakhan corridor is just not the one picture which u posted .. if we can make karakoram highway in such a lethal mountain range then wakhan corridor road link isnt impossible secondly this project is also delayed cz gilgit baltistan wants the road link from their side while people of chitral want from their side sadly this project is being politicized like others

Tajik envoy announces completion of Pakistan-Tajikistan road link
Tajik envoy announces completion of Pakistan-Tajikistan road link | Pakistan Today

Looking at his performance, SPECIALLY constructing motorways, I can ASSURE you he'll get this built. If you forget, the economic corridor that Pakistan is building with China is NOT just for these two. Its primarily connect China with Gawader and then connect both, China and Pakistan ALL the way to Russian and then to Europe through motorways and railroads.

This Pakistani government is up to something serious and they'll turn the Pakisan's world standing from what it used to be, to a powerful nation. Watch and support, not silly criticize!!!

right now pakistani business men are using peshwar to torkham border for trade link i my self have done some work for a business setup in tajikistan , linking tajikistan with direct road link will bring more opportunities for our exports

no one owns wakhan corridor which splits pakistan from tajikistan its type of a neutral land no one lives there very few people liver there who are isolated from the world they even dont know which country they arel living and whats happening in world :P

Last edited:

CHITRAL NEWS...Chitral Pakistan, News, Views, Travel, Tourism, Adventure, Culture, Lifestyle, Chitral.

tajikistan has made road on their side we havent laid a single stone on our side .. and wakhan corridor is just not the one picture which u posted .. if we can make karakoram highway in such a lethal mountain range then wakhan corridor road link isnt impossible secondly this project is also delayed cz gilgit baltistan wants the road link from their side while people of chitral want from their side sadly this project is being politicized like others

Tajik envoy announces completion of Pakistan-Tajikistan road link
Tajik envoy announces completion of Pakistan-Tajikistan road link | Pakistan Today
The first link you shared is talking about future prospects and the second link suggests Tajikistan has completed road link but the crucial road link lies inside of Pakistan and Afghanistan which is still on the table. So whomsoever will take the pledge to link to Tajikistan deserves the credit for that.

I am not sure if linking Tajikistan via Wakhan Corridor is a sensible idea in the first place as we are going to be passing through Afghanistan anyway so we could seek permission from Afghanistan with less difficult terrain to make it cost efficient. I think the regular route between Peshawar and Kabul is most feasible route for trade with Tajikistan under present circumstances and we can see if we have spare money in future to afford alternative routes

The first link you shared is talking about future prospects and the second link suggests Tajikistan has completed road link but the crucial road link lies inside of Pakistan and Afghanistan which is still on the table. So whomsoever will take the pledge to link to Tajikistan deserves the credit for that.

I am not sure if linking Tajikistan via Wakhan Corridor is a sensible idea in the first place as we are going to be passing through Afghanistan anyway so we could seek permission from Afghanistan with less difficult terrain to make it cost efficient. I think the regular route between Peshawar and Kabul is most feasible route for trade with Tajikistan under present circumstances and we can see if we have spare money in future to afford alternative routes

we already have jeepable track near wakhan corridor only a patch of few kms will connect pakistan with tajikistan when we are having a safer road link with tajikistan why to take risk of bringing afghanistan in our way government should pressurize afghan govt for permission of this road link

this route hasn't been promoted..i like this route as it will by pass most of the unsettled Afghanistan..so far lawari tunnel is slowed down due to lack of funds

both routes should exist..
its not impossible tough terrrain..the bottle neck was lawari tunnel

Wakhan Corridor

9767312.jpg

there are a lots of thing that are only found in the minds of fan boys.

we already have jeepable track near wakhan corridor only a patch of few kms will connect pakistan with tajikistan when we are having a safer road link with tajikistan why to take risk of bringing afghanistan in our way government should pressurize afghan govt for permission of this road link

there are lots of donkeyable track in Pakistan, hey we have had the best road network since stone ages :)

there are a lots of thing that are only found in the minds of fan boys.

there are lots of donkeyable track in Pakistan, hey we have had the best road network since stone ages :)

have you been to these areas before trolling kid ?

Back
Top Bottom