What's new

Rise of India’s Nuclear Submarine fleet-Aridaman by Year end, 50% Powerful reactor under constructi

INS Arihant is on a sea trial. What makes you think they WONT perform burst speed (max RPM) test?
Or they have already done that (which is a standard test BTW)?

Are you privy to this information?
Even if I was privy to secret information, i would not mention them here. These are simple logic based requirements which needs to be fulfilled. Are you aware that Arihant reactor is stable in constant power supply. It means less fluctuations thus average speed would be higher probability while high speed runs are still possible but I don't think SSBN are made for it. The more faster they go, more noisier they are, thus easier to intercept in co-ordinated ops. Their main strength is to go deeper and move as much silent as possible if they are detected early. Also there are other assets to protect them, even by sacrificing themselves in order to save SSBNs. But here we are talking about reactor which is the heart of a submarine. Current reactor rated at 85 mw is sufficient to propel SSBN Arihant at speed around 25-26 knots that too when there is hump on submarine and it is not made for fast runs. When the basic design of SSN based on Arihant is ready, it will slice through the water more efficiently and with customization and tweaking in reactor, it will cross 28 knots surely. Thank you.

Even if I was privy to secret information, i would not mention them here. These are simple logic based requirements which needs to be fulfilled. Are you aware that Arihant reactor is stable in constant power supply. It means less fluctuations thus average speed would be higher probability while high speed runs are still possible but I don't think SSBN are made for it. The more faster they go, more noisier they are, thus easier to intercept in co-ordinated ops. Their main strength is to go deeper and move as much silent as possible if they are detected early. Also there are other assets to protect them, even by sacrificing themselves in order to save SSBNs. But here we are talking about reactor which is the heart of a submarine. Current reactor rated at 85 mw is sufficient to propel SSBN Arihant at speed around 25-26 knots that too when there is hump on submarine and it is not made for fast runs. When the basic design of SSN based on Arihant is ready, it will slice through the water more efficiently and with customization and tweaking in reactor, it will cross 28 knots surely. Thank you.

You have started to digress now!

Following was my post to you:

INS Arihant is on a sea trial. What makes you think they WONT perform burst speed (max RPM) test?

Because you were talking about burst/acceleration and customization of reactor in the following form:

It only needs good tweaking and customization to improve its performance in a attack profile

And now you are flying off the tangent.

You have started to digress now!

Following was my post to you:

Because you were talking about burst/acceleration and customization of reactor in the following form:

It only needs good tweaking and customization to improve its performance in a attack profile

And now you are flying off the tangent.

I am still saying the same friend but you are getting it wrongly. The reactor installed on Arihant is stable one, and yes it can touch high speed but it is not optimized for faster constant burst acceleration and de-acceleration which is basic requirements of a SSN. We need to work on the existing reactor version installed on Arihant and optimize it to SSN profile requirements. Then it can be installed on our domestic SSN. Hope it clears your doubt. Thank you.

Indian dream to dominate Indian Ocean rests not on its not lame warships and submarine capabilities but rather on its poor leadership, bad training and wanting safety practices. They have to measure up to their ambition – but once they do, they shall invite unwelcome adversaries. Mahan was clarion in his prophetic phrase – an effort to rule the seas bespeaks military ambition and is tantamount to revising the global order. That shall not go unnoticed. Most importantly, India has to think about Chinese Defense Minister Chi Haotian’s statement of 1994, where he stated, “the Indian Ocean is not India’s ocean…” It is merely named on the geographical, not political basis. It suggests that Beijing is aware of Indian activities in waters and it also possess far better navy with latest naval technology. Time shall prove that even those who have franchised their containment efforts in the Indian Ocean would not let Indian Navy grow up to threaten their larger interests. Therefore, any misadventures by India in Indian Ocean may create further troubles for its own navy.

it is not optimized for faster constant burst acceleration and de-acceleration which is basic requirements of a SSN. We need to work on the existing reactor version installed on Arihant and optimize it to SSN profile requirements. Then it can be installed on our domestic SSN. Hope it clears your doubt. Thank you.

How do you know it is not optimized for faster constant burst acceleration ?

Indian dream to dominate Indian Ocean rests not on its not lame warships and submarine capabilities but rather on its poor leadership, bad training and wanting safety practices. They have to measure up to their ambition – but once they do, they shall invite unwelcome adversaries. Mahan was clarion in his prophetic phrase – an effort to rule the seas bespeaks military ambition and is tantamount to revising the global order. That shall not go unnoticed. Most importantly, India has to think about Chinese Defense Minister Chi Haotian’s statement of 1994, where he stated, “the Indian Ocean is not India’s ocean…” It is merely named on the geographical, not political basis. It suggests that Beijing is aware of Indian activities in waters and it also possess far better navy with latest naval technology. Time shall prove that even those who have franchised their containment efforts in the Indian Ocean would not let Indian Navy grow up to threaten their larger interests. Therefore, any misadventures by India in Indian Ocean may create further troubles for its own navy.
I smell a false flagger..... :pakistan:

Wake up and Smell the coffee. Recently India leased 2 Islands from Mauritius and Seychelles in Indian Ocean for strategic bases. Andaman and Nicobar Islands( Which have 2 naval bases and 4 air bases) along with Lakshwadweep Islands( A naval base and a airfield on it) makes India's position even stronger in Indian Ocean. Deny all you can, Its good for us actually.

India to develop strategic assets in 2 Mauritius, Seychelles islands | The Indian Express

Two islands: Indian Ocean to soon be 'India's Ocean' - World - DAWN.COM

How do you know it is not optimized for faster constant burst acceleration ?
Please goto first post in "The Indian Ocean Riposte" thread. Full detail is given there(no secrets given if you are looking for it). Thank you.

Please goto first post in "The Indian Ocean Riposte" thread. Full detail is given there(no secrets given if you are looking for it). Thank you.

I know you have plenty of secrets that you would not part with as a MOD of India.

Just Talked to one of my friend. One non nuclear Submarine work is at full swing at L & T Hazira. Cells of particular size are fabricated and shipped to Vizag for final assembly. All fabrication material is supplied by government including structure material, Plates and welding material. One team is supervising the the fabrication of cells.

190 megawatt is not necessary at all. Our SSBN has more than sufficiant power for now. What we need is a reactor which can generate peak power output in sudden bursts when required. It should be enought to provide immediate speed boost in aceleration and deceleration. That's what we need actually, not 180 megawatt powered reactor.
I guess it will be necessary because it is going to power the Arihant follow up SSBN subs that will start rolling only after 20 25 .....
since it will contain double the firepower with added displacement and it will be the double the size of Arihant class....I think 125MW won't be sufficient enough

I think BARC will try for 160~170MW pressurized reactors

Just Talked to one of my friend. One non nuclear Submarine work is at full swing at L & T Hazira. Cells of particular size are fabricated and shipped to Vizag for final assembly. All fabrication material is supplied by government including structure material, Plates and welding material. One team is supervising the the fabrication of cells.
Which one could that be??

I guess it will be necessary because it is going to power the Arihant follow up SSBN subs that will start rolling only after 20 25 .....
since it will contain double the firepower with added displacement and it will be the double the size of Arihant class....I think 125MW won't be sufficient enough

Here you are right as well as wrong at the same time. First we were talking about First six SSN and first four SSBNs reactor which I am saying should be powered by optimized reactor(SSN only). While follow on SSBN as well as SSN is still 9-10 years away from induction. We need to get a basic but solid reactor operational. Yes an 180 megawatt reactor will push a SSN to its maximum limits but that doesn't solve the problem of fast acceleration and de-acceleration which we have yet to master. Take your pick what do you want a stable 180 mw reactor or 85-120 mw unstable(don't go on wording literally) for a 5000-6500 tonne SSN. Next follow on boats will get much powerful reactor that's for sure. But in limited time it's not feasible to try everything and in last find out it wasn't worth the attempt. Second point I would like to correct you is that indeed Follow on SSBNs will be doubled weight of Arihant class boats but they will have four times more firepower, not two times. Hell even Second Arihant class boat(Aridhman) onwards we have double firepower than what Arihant has right now. And for these mammoth boats we will certainly need 180 mw powered reactor. Thank you.

I believe it must be S4 as S3 is going to ve launched very soon. And as soon as it is launched, its place will be taken by next S4 boat as that seems logical step. Thank you.

If you mean, by just installing a nuke reactor in a boat 40 years after we are 40 years late, then you are correct. If you mean in technology terms, you are wrong. Ours is going to have much longer range SLBM, more stable nuke reactor, more refined design and build quality, much better information management system and software solutions installed on the boat, more diverse attack missiles and decoys and many more. But yes as another poster said, we don't have DSI!!!!!!

That amount of juice could light up a city!!! :woot:
I don't agree in practical term but hell yeah power generated is sufficient for a city depending on demand.

Back
Top Bottom