What's new

Rise of India’s Nuclear Submarine fleet-Aridaman by Year end, 50% Powerful reactor under constructi

Trying to join dots and find out what we can expect from Arihant followup subs.
Akula 2 reactor is rated at 190 MW and it has a displacement (floating ) of ~ 8000 Tons with turbines generating 43,000 HP.
View attachment 210355 View attachment 210356
Now if we compare this with Arihant, that has reactor rated at 84 MW and displacement of 6000Tons, if the next reactor is being designed 50% more powerful (~120 MW), we can expect the new sub to have a displacement of approximately 9,000-9,500 Tons
View attachment 210360

Now i can be badly wrong here (the linear extrapolation), but looks like we are trying to reach that 10-12K tons displacement limit.
I don't get it why are we trying to compare our SSBN with Akula. There are whole lot of boats there in sea to compare. Jin class is a example.

I don't get it why are we trying to compare our SSBN with Akula. There are whole lot of boats there in sea to compare. Jin class is a example.
Sure are mate, but my point of comparison is my understanding that Russia has helped a lot in Indian N Sub project and while it would be incorrect to say it as copy, there is no denying the similarities between INS Arihant and INS Chakra (Nerpa).
So capability wise it is the closest thing to compare.
I welcome to be corrected.

India is not going to build massive attack subs. Our domestic SSNs will be compact in size, most probably around 5-6000 tonne weight. For their needs even a 100 mw 85-90 mw reactor will be sufficient but what is important that it needs to provide burst of speed or de-acceleration to fulfill sub needs. And double weight nuke sub will be boomer, not SSN.

our future AC and submarines will be nuke powered. SSN is going to built with 100% more powerfull reactor than the 83MW reactor in arihant as mention in the article. so 100% more powerful means the reactor will be around 160+MW.
in addition to subs, we are going to built nuke power AC. which need much more powerfull reactor. in nimitz class AC there are 4 reactres each with 100MW capacity.

A 125+MW reactor under construction?? Wow

Yes that is the most exiting and thrilling part of the whole article. For a long time , I had that question in my mind. I got the answer.

125MW is not enough, we need 190+ MW reactor..

No it should be sufficient for Arihant size sub. Even Nepra has 143 MW reactor. It moves too fast.

Trying to join dots and find out what we can expect from Arihant followup subs.
Akula 2 reactor is rated at 190 MW and it has a displacement (floating ) of ~ 8000 Tons with turbines generating 43,000 HP.
View attachment 210355 View attachment 210356
Now if we compare this with Arihant, that has reactor rated at 84 MW and displacement of 6000Tons, if the next reactor is being designed 50% more powerful (~120 MW), we can expect the new sub to have a displacement of approximately 9,000-9,500 Tons
View attachment 210360

Now i can be badly wrong here (the linear extrapolation), but looks like we are trying to reach that 10-12K tons displacement limit.

Thanks for your informative post.

I calculated that this way.

Weight of Arihant 6000 tons new reactor 124.5 MW

power to weight ratio 48.19

For old Akula 8000 ton weight and 143 MW power

power to weight ratio 54.94

Ie Power to weight ration of Arihand shall be 90% of Nepra sub we bought. i.e almost in same range so performance in term of speed shall be in same range.

our future AC and submarines will be nuke powered. SSN is going to built with 100% more powerfull reactor than the 83MW reactor in arihant as mention in the article. so 100% more powerful means the reactor will be around 160+MW.
in addition to subs, we are going to built nuke power AC. which need much more powerfull reactor. in nimitz class AC there are 4 reactres each with 100MW capacity.
First request I will make please don't club AC and SUB reactor just by going by the logic that both are nuke powered. There are multiple variables involved which needs to be factored in before reaching conclusions. Please tell me why a compact version of version attack submarine of Arihant class needs 100% more powerful reactor with sound logic. Even current sub is more than sufficient to run on top speed for longer burst mode. But factually a SSBN needs a reactor which can provide stable energy power supply and ours just does that. Now what we want is that current reactor needs to be optimized for high acceleration and urgent speed reduction while maneuvering in high seas. For this purpose we don't need to double the power output, rather we need to customize and optimize the reactor itself. Thank you.

And further adding please Nimitz class is altogether a different game, we are not ready for that much level of sophisticated machine manufacturing. Maybe after next 10-15 years.

For the next-gen SSBNs (I stick to my estimate of 20,000 tons, not 10) we would definitely need a 190-200MW reactor. The same core would also be used for the IAC-2 aircraft carrier.

The 125MW one may not be final, but a step in the right direction. It can however be useful for the 5,000-ton SSNs we're gonna build.

For the next-gen SSBNs (I stick to my estimate of 20,000 tons, not 10) we would definitely need a 190-200MW reactor. The same core would also be used for the IAC-2 aircraft carrier.

The 125MW one may not be final, but a step in the right direction. It can however be useful for the 5,000-ton SSNs we're gonna build.

Look 125 MW is for Arihant Size Boomer. As we move away from Arihant class, we shall have a bigger dia sub to accommodate bigger reactor. So no problem. Basically 190 MW reactor is not a problem but to accommodate them in 10 m Dia Sub (As Arihant is said to be) is a issue. our next sub 4th onward shall have 12 m dia (read somewhere),

First request I will make please don't club AC and SUB reactor just by going by the logic that both are nuke powered. There are multiple variables involved which needs to be factored in before reaching conclusions. Please tell me why a compact version of version attack submarine of Arihant class needs 100% more powerful reactor with sound logic. Even current sub is more than sufficient to run on top speed for longer burst mode. But factually a SSBN needs a reactor which can provide stable energy power supply and ours just does that. Now what we want is that current reactor needs to be optimized for high acceleration and urgent speed reduction while maneuvering in high seas. For this purpose we don't need to double the power output, rather we need to customize and optimize the reactor itself. Thank you.

And further adding please Nimitz class is altogether a different game, we are not ready for that much level of sophisticated machine manufacturing. Maybe after next 10-15 years.

unlike SSBN, SSN needs to be faster, maneuverable, and high rate of acceleration. for these the SSN more powerful reactor, it is the ability of reactor which determine the speed of a sub. you cannot have a high speed sub with a 83MW reactor. the reactor on an AC similar to the one in submarine.

Look 125 MW is for Arihant Size Boomer. As we move away from Arihant class, we shall have a bigger dia sub to accommodate bigger reactor. So no problem. Basically 190 MW reactor is not a problem but to accommodate them in 10 m Dia Sub (As Arihant is said to be) is a issue. our next sub 4th onward shall have 12 m dia (read somewhere),

I'm not saying 190MW reactor should be used for Arihant. It is indeed for the future SSBN (unofficially called Avinash-class).

Now what we want is that current reactor needs to be optimized for high acceleration and urgent speed reduction while maneuvering in high seas. For this purpose we don't need to double the power output, rather we need to customize and optimize the reactor itself.

The reactor is placed, fixed in the sub, how you want to customize it?

The reactor is placed, fixed in the sub, how you want to customize it?
Brother are you paying attention to discussion? I was saying we don't need 185 mw nuke powered SSN which we are yet to start building. Current reactor is more than enough for our needs at present. It only needs good tweaking and customization to improve its performance in a attack profile. It needs to provide fast acceleration and de-acceleration while maneuvering in high seas. That is what I said. Thank you.

. It only needs good tweaking and customization to improve its performance in a attack profile. It needs to provide fast acceleration and de-acceleration while maneuvering in high seas. That is what I said.

INS Arihant is on a sea trial. What makes you think they WONT perform burst speed (max RPM) test?
Or they have already done that (which is a standard test BTW)?

Are you privy to this information?

Back
Top Bottom