What's new

Rio Olympics 2016: Team China News and Images

You are saying a lot of stuff I did not say, maybe you don't understand what I said at all? Or you are trying to play it like I don't know anything about basketball? I don't know.

First of all, I never said this team lacking defensive player. I said this team is a weak team because the way they play the game is in direct conflict of how this team should have been, they don't play defensively. The two claim are very different.

This is what I said. in the previous post.

The defensive power is lacking, that is not directly the result from the player, but rather how the team play the game, of the 3 games I actually saw (vs China, vs Venezuela and vs Australia) almost all the games are play with Man on man, the problem is that while it work on a lower tier team, meaning they are bound to miss a lot of shot anyway, however, when you are facing team that can shoot, you can no longer let them shoot and try to get a quick transition and take advantage that way.

In a blow by blow game, if your opponent can keep up with your scoring, then you will start losing the tempo of the game, and that present a challenge to the team USA.

Your offensive power is only as good as the other team missed, any second tier coach can tell you that. Think about this, you can try to trade blow by blow to an opponent, but if they miss as much as you do, you will definitely draw a game and maybe worse if other stuff start getting into your way (like FT% and 3 Pt-%)

This team does not play defensively, and that is a fact it does not change even if you add player such as Curry and LeBron James. Not that I say LeBron James is not good at defence.

Second of all, when you study statistic, it always show you just one side of the story, because it did not show you how your opponent perform. Take your Team USA vs Serbia in 2014 championship and 2016 Olympic game.

FIBA reports

http://www.fiba.com/basketballworldcup/2014/1409/USA-Serbia#|tab=boxscore_statistics
http://www.fiba.com/olympics/2016/1208/USA-Serbia#|tab=boxscore_statistics

Statistic wise, in the 2014 games, Team USA were almost dominating in every sector. While in the 2016 game, every statistic offered by Serbia is either almost as good or better than team USA. Now, it's easy to say 2016 team is a lot weaker than 2014 team (or you can say 2014 Serbia team is a lot crappier than 2016 team) but the answer to the question is not about how US team was. But rather how Serbia perform.

Similar situation you are looking at Serbia shooting the ball 57.1% in 2016 and ending up 3 points behind Team USA, however, when you look at how the game actually played You see the US is actually using zone to zone out Serbia and make every shot harder for them to make and hence their FG% falt about 10 % between 2014 and 2016. the Serbian Player is the same, but since the US push harder in a zone, which block most of the ball downtown, hence Serbia only shoot 5 of 20 (20%) compare 15/30 on the US Team, of which Irving sink 6/6, which are already 1 more than the whole Serbia team.

The transition make the different between 2014 and 2016 games, this is not something you can see from the statistic itself, and this is how US play the game.

It's seems like you have no idea how Basketball works, on the other hand, I read the game, not statistic, statistic can at most be a good indication on how a team perform, but it is of no indication on how they face an enemy, it's a "What should happen" category, in actual games, things usually happen differently. You are what we basketball player called handicap number cruncher, you crunch number, not actually how a game being played, it may work well in fantasy league, but it does not work in actual ball game.

Also, Steph Curry is already an all star in the 2014 championship, and it peak right after the championship in the 2015 season, a talented basketball does not make overnight, he is already very talented in 2014 and just because his statistic and award said otherwise, that does not mean Steph Curry is a star in 2014

and Finally Andrew Bogut was not in London Olympic Australian Team, he was in London as a commentator, as he had a broken feet/ankle.
I don't know if you are joking or not but before their last two matches, they were hail as a defensive juggernaut team. Defense is not their main problem. I can assure you of that. Both Serbia and Australia were scoring below 100pts and around the same mark they scored against Team USA of 2012 and 2014. So no, it is not about the D. It is about the inefficient ways at which Team USA are scoring the ball which is by iso and one guy trying to do too much. Even Paul George came out and said they need to play team ball. In basketball, it is the offense that dictate the defense. When you play good offense, guys are more in tune to play defense, as a result you have excellent offense and defense being played. Right now, they are struggling to score easy basket due to the offense which upset the high caliber defensive players to put more effort on the defensive end.

Curry is an all star but he didn't become elite until 2015 season. Like I said, the only reason Team USA are struggling is because the top US players pull out. What funny is even with a B team, they are still going to win the gold medal. Of all the Olympics sports, basketball is almost a guarantee gold for the US.

Why is the Chinese team under-performing so badly at this Olympics? Did they not receive enough funding or proper training? Big shocks were Sun Yang missing the 1500 meter and the 2 weightlifters disqualified. Those were 3 easy gold medals for China. I hope they make a comeback and do a lot better at the next Olympics.

Combination of underperforming and extremely biased judges against China due to current geopolitical situation.

If Britain beats China for number 2 spot in the medal table, it will damage China's reputation as a a great sports power.

Historically, Olympics has been a battleground for national bragging rights.

Things like Olympic medal race, space race, supercomputer race, military weapons race, PISA education race, companies in Global Fortune 500 race, etc are how nations compare their standing in the world.

Last edited:
Romantic ending for Olympic diving lovebirds

Qin Kai proposes to He Zi.

eca86bd9d543191b339a01.jpg

Silver medalist He Zi of China (R) receives a marriage proposal from teammate Qin Kai after the medal ceremony of the women's 3 meter springboard at the Rio Olympics on Sunday. He gladly accepted the proposal. Qin won the men's 3 meter synchronized springboard on August 10. [Photo/Xinhua]

eca86bd9d543191b339a02.jpg

eca86bd9d543191b339a04.jpg

Qin Kai (R) reacts after marriage proposal to his girlfriend He Zi after the medal ceremony of the women's 3 meter springboard at the Rio Olympics on Sunday. Qin won the men's 3 meter synchronized springboard on August 10. [Photo/Xinhua]

eca86bd9d543191b339a03.jpg

Qin Kai hugs his fiancée after marriage proposal.

eca86bd9d543191b339a05.jpg

A good ending.

Shi wins gold for China in women's 3 metre springboard

180373daf1a9191b185c01.jpg

China's Shi Tingmao competes in the Women's 3m Springboard Final at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro on August 14, 2016. [Photo/IC]

180373daf1a9191b18fb03.jpg

China's Shi Tingmao competes in the Women's 3m Springboard Final at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro on August 14, 2016. [Photo/IC]

=========
The Silver medalist - He Zi.

180373daf1a9191b193f05.jpg

China's He Zi competes in the Women's 3m Springboard Final at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro on August 14, 2016. [Photo/IC]

180373daf1a9191b195606.jpg

China's He Zi competes in the Women's 3m Springboard Final at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro on August 14, 2016. [Photo/VCG]

========
The Gold and Silver medalists.

f8bc126e4b4e191b3e3608.jpg

China's Shi Tingmao (Left) dominates her competition to win gold in the women's 3 metre springboard event on Sunday, with teammate He Zi (Right) taking silver. Tingmao tied with He in the first two dives, before the 24-year-old pushed ahead in her third dive to achieve 84 points, the highest score of the competition, and eventually scored a total of 406.05, 18.15 points ahead of He and 103.2 points more than the last-placed diver.The gold is the second for Shi, who won her first on the second day of Rio with teammate Wu Minxia in the 3 metre synchronized springboard event. Chinese divers have won every gold medal in the women's individual event since the 1988 Seoul Olympics. He also claimed silver in the event at the London 2012 Games. [Photo/IC]

Meng Suping wins women's over 75kg weightlifting gold at Rio Olympics
(Xinhua)Updated: 2016-08-15 08:32

RIO DE JANEIRO - Meng Suping of China won the gold medal with a total of 307kg in the women's over 75kg weightlifting at the Rio Olympic Games here on Sunday.

Kim Kuk Hyang of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea took the silver at 306kg and the bronze went to Sarah Elizabeth Robles of the United States at 286kg.

eca86bd9d543191b53d927.jpg

Meng Suping of China competes in the women's over 75kg weightlifting.

f8bc126e4b4e191b5cb212.jpg

f8bc126e4b4e191b5aa703.jpg

f8bc126e4b4e191b5a9963.jpg

The medal ceremony.

f8bc126e4b4e191b5a9900.jpg

Kuk Hyang Kim of DPRK (L), Meng Suping of China (C), and Sarah Robles of USA (R) pose with their medals. [Photo/Xinhua]

f8bc126e4b4e191b5aa702.jpg

Meng Suping of China kneels with her gold medal, showing appreciation.

View attachment 326063

Silver medalist He Zi of China (R) receives a marriage proposal from teammate Qin Kai after the medal ceremony of the women's 3 meter springboard at the Rio Olympics on Sunday. He gladly accepted the proposal. Qin won the men's 3 meter synchronized springboard on August 10. [Photo/Xinhua]

View attachment 326064

View attachment 326065

Qin Kai (R) reacts after marriage proposal to his girlfriend He Zi after the medal ceremony of the women's 3 meter springboard at the Rio Olympics on Sunday. Qin won the men's 3 meter synchronized springboard on August 10. [Photo/Xinhua]

View attachment 326066

View attachment 326067
A good ending.

Hope they can make some diving babies!
:smitten::smitten::smitten:

Sorry, this is not China but what the heck, let's celebrate Usain Bolt's achievement anyway.

--------
Bolt's hat-trick proves he is the king on track

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Usain Bolt stormed to victory in the 100m final at the Rio Olympics on Sunday, becoming the first man to win the blue riband event three times in a row.

The 29-year-old Jamaican clocked 9.81 seconds, beating rival Justin Gatlin of the United States by eight hundredths of a second at the Olympic Stadium. Canada's Andre de Grasse took bronze in 9.91.

Bolt's fellow Jamaican Yohan Blake was fourth in 9.93 and Akani Simbine was fifth in 9.94.

It was the seventh Olympic gold medal of Bolt's career as he confirmed his status as the greatest sprinter in history.

The result kept intact Bolt's hopes of being the first man to achieve an unprecedented triple-triple: three successive Olympic gold medals in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay.

Bolt enjoyed overwhelming support from the capacity crowd while his long-time rival Gatlin was roundly jeered.

Bolt beat Gatlin by one-hundredth of a second at the World Championships in Beijing last year.

The 34-year-old American won the 100m gold medal at the Athens 2004 Games but later served a four-year ban for doping.

f8bc126e4b4e191b6c0a27.jpg

Usain Bolt (JAM) of Jamaica poses next to the electronic result board after winning the gold medal in men's 100m final. [Photo/Agencies]

f8bc126e4b4e191b6c0a29.jpg

Usain Bolt with his trademark post celebrates winning the gold medal. [Photo/Agencies]

f8bc126e4b4e191b691726.jpg

Usain Bolt of Jamaica celebrates winning the gold medal. [Photo/Agencies]

Last edited:
Pal, you're dealing with a troll who suffer serious "identity crisis" symptom
His old username was "Peter C" who admitted he's an Asian who aim to troll anyone, country he dislike
Perhaps he thought changing a so-called western nick could transformed himself as a self-proclaimed "native white male"
Unfortunately i've been here for too long to witness such.......:azn:
Oh hi, nice to see someone from HK as well

The person is definitely a fake. Probably an Indian.

Peter C was an Indian all this time? :o: I'm shocked, another Nihonjin wannabe?

Much more vetted than him. Shocking, indeed. But after Mr. Nihonjin, not surprising. Who cares, on the internet, everybody is free whomever they want to be. After all, few will be believing.

Lin and Lee sail into top eight of badminton singles
Xinhua, August 15, 2016

Badminton superstars Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei sailed into the top eight in the men's singles at the Rio Olympic Games here on Sunday.

Two-time men's singles champion Lin of China barely broke a sweat brushing aside Vietnam's Nguyen Tien Minh, 21-7 21-12, while his close rival Lee of Malaysia spent five minutes less in disposing off the challenge of Singapore's Derek Wong, 21-18, 21-8.

Lin and Lee won their groups with three consecutive wins and are on the way for their semifinals clash.

Second seed Chen Long of China also topped the group with three wins after his final group opponent Kevin Cordon retired from the competition. As the top three seeds Lee, Chen and Lin enjoyed a bye in the round of 16, all of them entered the top eight directly.

In women's singles, defending champion Li Xuerui, and her Chinese compatriot Wang Yihan won their groups without trouble.

Saina Nehwal, Indian fifth seed, however was stunned by world No.61 Ukrainian Maria Ulitina 21-18, 21-19. She blamed a right knee for her loss. With both players having beaten Brazil's Lohaynny Vicente in Group G, Ulitina's victory Sunday ensured her promotion as group winner into the knock-out stage.

"My right knee was hurting and affected my movement," said Nehwal. "I tried hard, but I wasn'table to do my best. The knee started hurting just before the Olympics, during training, but it got aggravated here."

Thailand's Ratchanok Intanon, Japan's Nozomi Okuhara, her compatriot Akane Yamaguchi, and South Korea's Sung Ji Hyun, India's PV Sindhu also powered into the knock out stage.

In mix doubles, China's pairs Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei, Xu Chen and Ma Jin, gold and silver medalists at the London Olympics, defeated Japanese and South Korean pairs respectively to enter the semifinals.

I don't know if you are joking or not but before their last two matches, they were hail as a defensive juggernaut team. Defense is not their main problem. I can assure you of that. Both Serbia and Australia were scoring below 100pts and around the same mark they scored against Team USA of 2012 and 2014. So no, it is not about the D. It is about the inefficient ways at which Team USA are scoring the ball which is by iso and one guy trying to do too much. Even Paul George came out and said they need to play team ball. In basketball, it is the offense that dictate the defense. When you play good offense, guys are more in tune to play defense, as a result you have excellent offense and defense being played. Right now, they are struggling to score easy basket due to the offense which upset the high caliber defensive players to put more effort on the defensive end.

Curry is an all star but he didn't become elite until 2015 season. Like I said, the only reason Team USA are struggling is because the top US players pull out. What funny is even with a B team, they are still going to win the gold medal. Of all the Olympics sports, basketball is almost a guarantee gold for the US.

I think you are the one that's joking....Seems to me, not only you don't know how Basketball is play in international level, but also, your "Statistic" is not really anything in the level of people keeping statistic, if you are very keen on statistic, you will not say this

Both Serbia and Australia were scoring below 100pts and around the same mark they scored against Team USA of 2012 and 2014. So no, it is not about the D. It is about the inefficient ways at which Team USA are scoring the ball which is by iso and one guy trying to do too much.

Let's go over the statistic.

Of the last 3 games Team US played
  • 2 pt FG % is 17/48 (35.4% v AUS) 20/35 (57.1% v SER), 25/36 (69.4% v FRA)
  • 3 pt FG % is 17/39 (43.6% v AUS) 7/20 (35 % v SER), 10/27 (37% v FRA)
  • FT % is 13/18, (72% v Australia), 33/42 (78.6% v Serbia), 20/27 (74.1% v France)
  • TO is 9 (v Aus) 12 (v Ser) , 13 (v FRA)
  • Offensive Rebound 21 (v AUS) 9 (v SER), 8 (v FRA)
  • PFT/2nd Chance Point 0/23 (v AUS) 16/9 (v SER) 15/11 (v FRA)

On the other hand, the % against team USA

• 2 pt FG% is 26/45 (57.8% by AUS), 21/35 (60% by SER), 36/54 (66.7% by FRA)
  • 3 pt FG% is 7/21 (33.3% by AUS), 10/25 (40% by SER), 5/19 (26.3% by FRA)
  • FT% is 15/18 (83.3% by AUS) ,19/25 (76% by SER), 10/13 (76.9% by FRA)
  • TO is 17 (by AUS), 16 (by SER), 13 (by FRA)
  • Offensive Rebound 8(by AUS) 8 (by SER) 11 (By FRA)
  • PFT/2nd Chance Point 9/4 (by AUS) 15/10 (by SER) 20/20 (by FRA)
Final Game Result

• US 98 - 86 AUS
  • US 94 - 91 SER
  • US 100 - 97 FRA
Now, before you look at the stats, let's go over how Basketball is played.

You score by making a play, and you make a play by either from opponent turnover or dead ball. So to understand how a game being played, it's important to see how one stats go against your opponent stats.

To Score : basically you either

1.) Score unchecked, open (which mean either you have a good play or opponent bad D)
2.) Score being checked by your opponent (good play)

To Miss a Score, you either

1.) Unpressured Mistake (You missed for whatever reason)
2.) Pressure by your Opponent (Opponent good D, including your offensive foul)

To make a shot, you can only be in 1 of the 4 situations

1.) From Sideline (either after opponent made a score or out of bound)
2.) From Turnover (opponent offensive foul, steal or pressed mistake)
3.) From a good Defence (opponent failed to score succumbed to your team Ds)
4.) Second Chance play (Offensive Rebound)

A Good offensive game traditionally have the following stats

1.) High FG %
2.) High FG attempt
3.) High Offensive Rebound
4.) High FT attempted (coming from high offensive attempt)
5.) High Second Chance Point

A Good defensive game traditionally have the following stats

1.) Low Opponent FG%
2.) Low Opponent FG Attempt
3.) High Defensive Rebound
4.) Low Opponent Offensive Rebound
5.) High Opponent Turn Over

Now's looking at stats between USA vs Australian, USA vs Serbia and USA vs France.

US team have a high FT% on games vs France and Serbia, low 2 pts FT on Australia, suggest the US team have a good offensive over against both Serbia, and France. At the same time, the US team have made a similar shot attempt (55 vs 60 on Serbia, and 63 vs 73 on France) suggest the offensive end is similar outlook between US and Serbia and France. On the other hand, Serbia and France make about the same % and attempt than in the US, suggest that US team was not defensively strong. Offensive rebound saw US slightly edged ahead of Serbia (8 vs 7) while trailing France (8 vs 13) suggest US are on par with Serbia on defensive end, but worse than France in defence (being unable to block out France Offensive rebound) while the last stat suggest that US edge ahead with FT attempts, both time twice the number than Serbia and France, suggesting more offensive play (both in and out of motion) on the opposite court.

In an outlook

- High FG%
- High FT attempts
- Medium to High offensive rebound suggest US play Offensive ball game
- High Opponent Offensive rebound
- High Opponent FG %
- High Opponent Score

Suggest US failing in defence.

The only match I would say US failing in offense is against Australia.

When you look at the game, you will see US weren't chasing the opponent, most Australian, Serbia and France are uncheck, while the game focus on more running style play with the US team, they are playing on what we called "Trading Basket" This would only works when they missed a lot (either your good D making them miss or their lacking of offensive power) However, facing Australia, Serbia and France all 3 with high shooting percentage, you won't get much out of trading basket.

And finally, again, I did not say the Team USA cannot do defend, they can, they just did not play defensive ball game in all 5 matches, all 5 matches are what we called "Run and Gun" style match, you will see if you bother to watch the game itself.

And no, just because curry was not a MVP nor he did not have the ring on his hand in 2014, that does not mean he is not a star player, You cannot become elite overnight, you have to have substance before you become elite, saying curry wasn't elite in 2014 does not mean he is not one of the best person in NBA, you like stats, right? Go back and check Curry stats, in 2014/2015 season.

Sorry, this is not China but what the heck, let's celebrate Usain Bolt's achievement anyway.

--------
Bolt's hat-trick proves he is the king on track

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Usain Bolt stormed to victory in the 100m final at the Rio Olympics on Sunday, becoming the first man to win the blue riband event three times in a row.

The 29-year-old Jamaican clocked 9.81 seconds, beating rival Justin Gatlin of the United States by eight hundredths of a second at the Olympic Stadium. Canada's Andre de Grasse took bronze in 9.91.

Bolt's fellow Jamaican Yohan Blake was fourth in 9.93 and Akani Simbine was fifth in 9.94.

It was the seventh Olympic gold medal of Bolt's career as he confirmed his status as the greatest sprinter in history.

The result kept intact Bolt's hopes of being the first man to achieve an unprecedented triple-triple: three successive Olympic gold medals in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay.

Bolt enjoyed overwhelming support from the capacity crowd while his long-time rival Gatlin was roundly jeered.

Bolt beat Gatlin by one-hundredth of a second at the World Championships in Beijing last year.

The 34-year-old American won the 100m gold medal at the Athens 2004 Games but later served a four-year ban for doping.

View attachment 326086
Usain Bolt (JAM) of Jamaica poses next to the electronic result board after winning the gold medal in men's 100m final. [Photo/Agencies]

View attachment 326087
Usain Bolt with his trademark post celebrates winning the gold medal. [Photo/Agencies]

View attachment 326085
Usain Bolt of Jamaica celebrates winning the gold medal. [Photo/Agencies]

He will run in next Olympic, I guess if not gold, he still can win medals.

Folks anymore debate
@waz Pls clear Viet, Latino and American trolls in this thread....

The thing is Chinese posters want to talk to them about these issues i.e. unfairness, the ability of other countries etc. If I act all the posts need to go.

View attachment 326063

View attachment 326064

View attachment 326065

View attachment 326066

View attachment 326067
A good ending.

:smitten::smitten::smitten:

They have not just achieved medals (both silver in Rio, gold in London), but also received blessings from the whole arena! They will start a family, and I hope they can continue making contributions to our sport industry, probably as a coach.
f04da2daf68a191b692c23.jpg
f04da2daf68a191b692c24.jpg
f04da2daf68a191b692c20.jpg

How about our badminton couple?:smitten:
129230265_14712279111021n.jpg

Folks anymore debate

The thing is Chinese posters want to talk to them about these issues i.e. unfairness, the ability of other countries etc. If I act all the posts need to go.
then clear all

15 golds each for China and Britain so far. Andy Murray won gold for Britain.

China need to have a good day today.

Time to start performing as people expect especially in non-judging events. No excuses anymore. Need to hold 2nd place in the medal table.

holding second place is nice. But if they don't so what? With all the problems UK is having let them have some bragging rights. In a month no one is going to remember who won what , etc except the 100m race

China team need to retool and adopt newer training methods if that is the case for underachieving in Riio.

Back
Top Bottom