What's new

Revival of Mess Culture

Pak_88

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hello and welcome all!
I was just wondering as to the experience of the valued serving and retired offrs who are memebers of this forum regarding mess life in the army today.
As per my understanding/observation, mess life has diminished over the past 20 years, and officers much prefer staying in their rooms rather than socializing in the mess. Of course, this may seem like an extremely trivial issue, but mess life used to be an extremely important part of grooming our subalterns/YOs, and maintaining unit affiliations/friendships and enhancing esprit-de-corps. It is DAMNED UNFORTUNATE that this facet of army life has been lost, revived only in memories of days gone by.
What should be done to revive mess culture and mess life?

Maybe @fatman17, @Icarus, @Xeric could comment?

Hello and welcome all!
I was just wondering as to the experience of the valued serving and retired offrs who are memebers of this forum regarding mess life in the army today.
As per my understanding/observation, mess life has diminished over the past 20 years, and officers much prefer staying in their rooms rather than socializing in the mess. Of course, this may seem like an extremely trivial issue, but mess life used to be an extremely important part of grooming our subalterns/YOs, and maintaining unit affiliations/friendships and enhancing esprit-de-corps. It is DAMNED UNFORTUNATE that this facet of army life has been lost, revived only in memories of days gone by.
What should be done to revive mess culture and mess life?

Maybe @fatman17, @Icarus, @Xeric could comment?
Two things have destroyed mess life, first prolonged deployments on War Against Terror (almost 15 years) and social media. Mess culture was an important part of grooming. I am sure top brass is taking steps for its revival.

Two things have destroyed mess life, first prolonged deployments on War Against Terror (almost 15 years) and social media. Mess culture was an important part of grooming. I am sure top brass is taking steps for its revival.
Agreed. Have observed the same. Especially social media. The attractions which were once only seen in the anteroom are now available within the offrs room, and at a greater comfort level.
I really, REALLY hope that steps are taken to remedy this otherwise an important part of grooming YOs will be inevitably lost forever.

Respected members,
Every now and then we have fmn lvl lectures and discussions in tea bar by snr offrs regarding revival of mess culture how it is important and how it was thr face of the army, Most of the offrs might agree but personally I don't see the reason for it in tjis time and age.
Why was mess culture so IN in old days,
All entertainment was present in the mess, The old big TVs, Stereo, Chess, Billiard, Newspaper everything.
Why do we need it now when everything is aval in the BOQs?
Offrs mention that the Espirit De Corps improved in mess, however personally I think that bonding of Offrs is not linked to mess, serving with an offr in a post develops a far greater bond than on the dinner table at the mess. Unit. Offrs living in the BOQs in neighbouring rooms would also have same bonding as provided by mess.
Another factor is that offrs specially staff leave the offices late, abd even in their rooms their cell is ringing with coord and orders, would that offr want or like to dress up once again (Dress changing is like the worst thing ever) for mess? Or would he spend his free time doing something for himself, like maybe prep for his next course or watching a movie?
Also it's age of minimalism, pompous thing are on the decline, foreign armies are changing with time and so are we, today offrs are way more practically oriented than they were before, my father retired as a Lt Col without firing a single arty rd in actual combat, while with this less service offrs may have fired thousands of rds.
In short with changing times, LIC, and load of work on offrs in Garrison, revival of mess culture EVEN if desired is not possible.

Respected members,
Every now and then we have fmn lvl lectures and discussions in tea bar by snr offrs regarding revival of mess culture how it is important and how it was thr face of the army, Most of the offrs might agree but personally I don't see the reason for it in tjis time and age.
All entertainment was present in the mess, The old big TVs, Stereo, Chess, Billiard, Newspaper everything.
Offrs mention that the Espirit De Corps improved in mess, however personally I think that bonding of Offrs is not linked to mess, serving with an offr in a post develops a far greater bond than on the dinner table at the mess. Unit. Offrs living in the BOQs in neighbouring rooms would also have same bonding as provided by mess.
Another factor is that offrs specially staff leave the offices late, abd even in their rooms their cell is ringing with coord and orders, would that offr want or like to dress up once again (Dress changing is like the worst thing ever) for mess? Or would he spend his free time doing something for himself, like maybe prep for his next course or watching a movie?
Also it's age of minimalism, pompous thing are on the decline, foreign armies are changing with time and so are we, today offrs are way more practically oriented than they were before, my father retired as a Lt Col without firing a single arty rd in actual combat, while with this less service offrs may have fired thousands of rds.
In short with changing times, LIC, and load of work on offrs in Garrison, revival of mess culture EVEN if desired is not possible.

Do officers have to dress differently for the office and for the mess? What's the difference?

Do officers have to dress differently for the office and for the mess? What's the difference?
Mess is a place of respect, you cannot wear shorts or any shabby clothes to it,
Dresses allowed, All Svc Dresses, smart Casual, National etc
Not allowed, Shorts, Jeans, Slippers etc...
If a senior "Chacha" is there in mess he might decline you svc due to dress or worst some offr might check you.

Mess is a place of respect, you cannot wear shorts or any shabby clothes to it,
Dresses allowed, All Svc Dresses, smart Casual, National etc
Not allowed, Shorts, Jeans, Slippers etc...
If a senior "Chacha" is there in mess he might decline you svc due to dress or worst some offr might check you.

As a civillian army culture is so alien to me.

Agreed. Have observed the same. Especially social media. The attractions which were once only seen in the anteroom are now available within the offrs room, and at a greater comfort level.
I really, REALLY hope that steps are taken to remedy this otherwise an important part of grooming YOs will be inevitably lost forever.

I agree, and may I say I have seen the deterioration of mess life since the last 25 years almost.

It is a sad consequence of internet life style,

I hope something can be done to change these ways.

Agreed.
Now messes are mainly used for official dinners/tea's or any formal send away parties.
Officers who live in messes, spend more time outside and come only to sleep.

Agreed.
Now messes are mainly used for official dinners/tea's or any formal send away parties.
Officers who live in messes, spend more time outside and come only to sleep.

What is even more disturbing is the fact that we have not seen senior officers talk about this problem much
let alone do something about it.

A large part of being in the army, was being part of of the fabric.

lets hope the psychologists do something about this.

Respected members,
The mess isn't pompous. The primary purpose is to serve as the home of the living in members. But the mess really was a great social leveller, and put offrs at ease. The army is supposed to be one big family. This war will be over one day, and the duties shall decrease. I dunno. The British haven't changed, and neither have the Indians. Their armies still deal with all that we do. We've adopted an Americanism if we choose to drop the mess. But do compare the relationship b/w offrs now, and in your father's time. Careerism and politics has undoubtedly increased. It's absolutely depressing. Ab dosti individual basis per hai, more than ever before. This may dangerously lead to formation of different groups and cliques within the unit (God forbid!). Spending more time together in the mess does undoubtedly foster friendship. It used to be a symbol of army life.

Whatever it is, I feel we may over time lose regimental traditions and esprit de corps with the fall of the institution of the mess. Once this war is over and duties have decreased, at least.

What is even more disturbing is the fact that we have not seen senior officers talk about this problem much
let alone do something about it.

A large part of being in the army, was being part of of the fabric.

lets hope the psychologists do something about this.
Agreed.
I highly doubt they will. The social part of interacting with your unit offrs outside of the "shop" has been lost. The future shall see the command of those who've never experienced mess life. Socially fitting in used to be important. Social functions were always fond memories. Damned unfortunate.

Last edited:
The mess isn't pompous. The primary purpose is to serve as the home of the living in members. But the mess really was a great social leveller, and put offrs at ease. The army is supposed to be one big family. This war will be over one day, and the duties shall decrease. I dunno. The British haven't changed, and neither have the Indians. Their armies still deal with all that we do. We've adopted an Americanism if we choose to drop the mess. But do compare the relationship b/w offrs now, and in your father's time. Careerism and politics has undoubtedly increased. It's absolutely depressing. Ab dosti individual basis per hai, more than ever before. This may dangerously lead to formation of different groups and cliques within the unit (God forbid!). Spending more time together in the mess does undoubtedly foster friendship. It used to be a symbol of army life.

Whatever it is, I feel we may over time lose regimental traditions and esprit de corps with the fall of the institution of the mess. Once this war is over and duties have decreased, at least.

Agreed.
I highly doubt they will. The social part of interacting with your unit offrs outside of the "shop" has been lost. The future shall see the command of those who've never experienced mess life. Socially fitting in used to be important. Social functions were always fond memories. Darmned unfortunate.
Many people have tried establishing mess culture again, no food served in BOQs by order etc, but those steps are temporary because they are against the natural order of things, brigade meses except for family functions have started becoming obsolete, It's been a while since I ate a proper meal in a mess, simply because it's not possible.
How can a person, who woke up at 5 am and came back to room at 5-6 pm be expected to come to room, change again and go to mess.
It's not possible, work load increased manifold, offrs personal lives suffer.
Times and technology change and they automatically change the way you live.

Mess is not needed

Military folks should focus on running 10 km per week , and do similar amount of Swimming , that is how you groom

Need more grooming , start weight lifting

Back
Top Bottom