What's new

Restricted Mobility of Indian missiles

When the Prithvi was inducted in SFC? I dont know anything about this?
Early 2000s, during 2001-02 standoff, there were considerable reports that nuclear capable Prithvi-Is were being mobilized.
And further if Shaurya is inducted as nuclear NLOS-BSM as replacement of A1 and A2, then why not SFC doing yearly or binary exercises with Shaurya for checking readiness?
Then why we only see routine tests of A1,A2,A3 and A4 in SFC?
Thats exactly what I said, that it has been tested but not inducted. Perhaps the SFC is okay with A1/2 for now.
Jodhpur and Panagarh are under SFC?
There are hardened underground storage locations there, presumably stationing nuclear missiles.

A4 is road mobile and in operation.
The gentleman I quoted has a different opinion about the Agni series' road mobility.

Early 2000s, during 2001-02 standoff, there were considerable reports that nuclear capable Prithvi-Is were being mobilized.
When SFC was raised? Then why we considering Army and AF assets which is meant for conventional warhead automatically become assets of SFC?

There are hardened underground storage locations there, presumably stationing nuclear missiles.
The most of SFC bases are based in Ladakh and Arunachal Pradesh. All underground bunkers doesnt translate that it going to be nuclear.

The gentleman I quoted has a different opinion about the Agni series' road mobility.
Yes I have. Because there is none, and only road mobility become viable with canister versions of A4 and A5.

When SFC was raised? Then why we considering Army and AF assets which is meant for conventional warhead automatically become assets of SFC?
I don't know about that. The 333rd Missile Regiment has been frequently referred to as being armed with nuclear Prithvi-Is in early 2000s, but later on withdrawn from that role. Of course not, just like Prithvi-II wasn't ever reported to be nuclear armed. Are you suggesting that nothing of this sort happened?

The most of SFC bases are based in Ladakh and Arunachal Pradesh. All underground bunkers doesnt translate that it going to be nuclear.
What is the source of this claim?
Oh they are not any underground bunkers. At Jodhpur, there are tunnels bored into a hill series from the south-east, with camouflaged tunnel entrances, protection against incoming aerial threats and even a cargo plane airport.

Hmmm.........I mis-spoke.
@Gen Padmanabhan a simple wiki search will show that all A4 tests were done with road-launchers. They may not be displayed in public to preserve its visual signature and make the life of our enemies just a little bit more difficult.
I will not comment on this until "operational" TEL of A4 is displayed, which also meant to be canisterised.

I don't know about that. The 333rd Missile Regiment has been frequently referred to as being armed with nuclear Prithvi-Is in early 2000s, but later on withdrawn from that role. Of course not, just like Prithvi-II wasn't ever reported to be nuclear armed. Are you suggesting that nothing of this sort happened?
Obviously between 2000-2007.

What is the source of this claim?
Oh they are not any underground bunkers. At Jodhpur, there are tunnels bored into a hill series from the south-east, with camouflaged tunnel entrances, protection against incoming aerial threats and even a cargo plane airport.
[/Quote]
There are lot of tunnel works in bases like Karwar or in Varsha. That translate that these are for nuclear purposes?

BTW, also in new nuclear R&D centers that is building in Karnataka.

Both sides just making fun of each other I guess.

Irony is we are talking about weapons of mass destruction.

@shaheenmissile have you ever seen the biography-documentary "The Man who saved the world"?

The Man Who Saved the World (2014) - IMDb

I would recommend it. You will get an overall perspective on some of the issues I am mentioning w.r.t remote sensing in a few of the scenes. It is a great stand-alone watch as well.
Watching it now. Interesting. Good share.

Hmmm.........I mis-spoke.
@Gen Padmanabhan a simple wiki search will show that all A4 tests were done with road-launchers. They may not be displayed in public to preserve its visual signature and make the life of our enemies just a little bit more difficult.
Read this book
Managing India's Nuclear Forces by Verghese Koithara.

The author is actually retd vice admiral from Navy.

This book very briefly explained what are the advantages and disadvantages of Road Mobile missile. Also explained why Road Mobile missiles are good for Russia,China and why not for India. Why US still not inducted Road mobile ICBMs.

Why all Road Mobile IRBMs and ICBMs need a pre designated launching points, and why missile cant be launched from a side of road? And if you hit the pre designated launch points, the road mobile missile become useless.

Last edited:
There are lot of tunnel works in bases like Karwar or in Varsha. That translate that these are for nuclear purposes?

BTW, also in new nuclear R&D centers that is building in Karnataka.

I believe that is the case. Those Naval bases will house SSBNs.

I'm only referring to sites operated by the military.

Last edited:
I believe that is the case. Those Naval bases will house SSBNs.
Not Karwar, thats for sure.

I'm only referring to sites operated by the military.
But Indian Army and IAF (from missiles) already surrendered this role of nuclear strike back in 2007, and now SFC trying harder that IAF also surrender the role of nuclear strike by aircraft to SFC, thats why SFC these days doing lot of hue and cry to induct 40 SU-30 MKI specifically for SFC. Also in peace time, nuclear warhead remain the property of DAE.

The missile department not going to come back in IA and IAF, until formal doctrine for TNW is adopted.

But as I said, the IA bases with underground bunkers in Central India doesnt translate that these bases meant to house SRBMs and IRBMs for nuclear purposes.

Not Karwar, thats for sure..
Apart from the conventional assets storage (BrahMos?), there is a similar underground structure being built just like those at Varsha (Rambilli).

But Indian Army and IAF (from missiles) already surrendered this role of nuclear strike back in 2007, and now SFC trying harder that IAF also surrender the role of nuclear strike by aircraft to SFC, thats why SFC these days doing lot of hue and cry to induct 40 SU-30 MKI specifically for SFC. Also in peace time, nuclear warhead remain the property of DAE.

The missile department not going to come back in IA and IAF, until formal doctrine for TNW is adopted.
I meant to differentiate the Nuclear R&D center in Karnataka from these other one, of course operated by the SFC (a military branch).

But as I said, the IA bases with underground bunkers in Central India doesnt translate that these bases meant to house SRBMs and IRBMs for nuclear purposes
They may, they may not.

Apart from the conventional assets storage (BrahMos?), there is a similar underground structure being built just like those at Varsha (Rambilli).
Maybe, but dont know what they doing there. Also 2 Over The Horizon-B radars are building, one for Karwar and other for Varsha.

I meant to differentiate the Nuclear R&D center in Karnataka from these other one, of course operated by the SFC (a military branch).
Nope, totally civilian. This is joint facility under ISRO,DAE and DRDO. But it looks like military one.

They may, they may not.

This is from very reliable sources that most of the facilities of SFC are in NE and in Ladakh, firstly the plan was to replace A1 and A2 with Shaurya and induct Prahhar.

But this plan for TNW dropped in 2012, and of Shaurya in 2013. Now the plan is to induct A4 as replacement to A1 and A2.

Maybe, but dont know what they doing there. Also 2 Over The Horizon-B radars are building, one for Karwar and other for Varsha.

Nope, totally civilian. This is joint facility under ISRO,DAE and DRDO. But it looks like military one.

This is from very reliable sources that most of the facilities of SFC are in NE and in Ladakh, firstly the plan was to replace A1 and A2 with Shaurya and induct Prahhar.

But this plan for TNW dropped in 2012, and of Shaurya in 2013. Now the plan is to induct A4 as replacement to A1 and A2.
Interesting, thanks for the information.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom