What's new

Reservation for SC/ST in promotions.

I'd like to know how many SC/STs are there in this forum and of those how many oppose reservations. Most probably most SC/ST people cannot even afford a internet or computer. so all those belonging to forward caste are jumping up and down here. Government job is the right place to provide reservation. All the forward castes have had it easy till now. So deal with it now.Caste is not only about poverty but also about social stigma. Unless more SC/ST people come to more important positions the discrimination is here to stay.

Basically promotion in reservation is not serving the actual purpose of reservations that is upliftment of poor and backwards in India, its actually about making rich more richer, that too for not sane reason but for dirty vote bank politics.

This retards party Congress don't know that this bill is another nail in their coffin after their minority reservation stunt whose credit was taken by Samajwadi Party of U.P., banking on which it has now ventured into far states like Gujrat, and again for this reservation in promotion bill all the credit for this bill is taken (actually given by media) by Bahujan Samajwadi Party supremo Mayawati aka Behen ji!!! I noticed all media houses were broadcasting bites of Behen ji or its party member, no congress member's feedback!!

Congress, After alienating Hindus on minority reservations now they are irking general caste people!! Hope instead of using age old dirty vote bank techniques of appeasing a certain caste/ community they would have done something to make our country progress!!!

Government should see the emotional outpouring of internet warriors on all Indian websites about the grave injustice against forward caste people and urgently give them reservations in posts such as sweepers and manual scavengers. Something like 80-90%

Might as well. Then, the government can truly claim to be looking out for all citizens of the nation. :P

Nothing wrong or shameful about manual labor;

If it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures, sweep streets like Beethoven composed music, sweep streets like Leontyne Price sings before the Metropolitan Opera. Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will have to pause and say: Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well. If you can't be a pine at the top of the hill, be a shrub in the valley. Be be the best little shrub on the side of the hill.

Be a bush if you can't be a tree. If you can't be a highway, just be a trail. If you can't be a sun, be a star. For it isn't by size that you win or fail. Be the best of whatever you are.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

This government can do anything for vote bank politics , i'm sure UPA will not be in power after next election.

I Wish i was born as a SC/ST. Any provision in our great constitution to convert to SC/ST atleast.

I Wish i was born as a SC/ST. Any provision in our great constitution to convert to SC/ST atleast.

Not that I know of..but marry a SC/ST girl and your children can have SC/ST benefits.

Not that I know of..but marry a SC/ST girl and your children can have SC/ST benefits.

NO..children take on the caste from their father and not their mother.

Maybe govt needs to bring in a new law called caste conversion. Here we talk about eradicating the caste system.. but kinda steps govt taking will only encourage this rotten system to flourish further. Even-though tone of your post sounds humorous.. therein lies the subconscious truth.

HAHA... just for kicks maybe... make a fake profile with a beautiful photo and good qualification but do highlight that you are an SC gal... count the no of offers from Higher caste guys ( or the other way around )

U will be amazed by the no of offers :lol:

If there is such a provision, everyone should start converting to an SC and lets see how government is going to handle that situation. When you goto village office to obtain the birth certificate for your children, there is a step where you have to define the religion and caste of the kid. Even if you dont want your children tohave religion/caste, at this point you are left with no option other than to fill that column. There lies the crux of the problem. This accounts for an unofficial caste/religion based statistics resource, over which our honorable politicians plays chess upon. In countries like France its illegal to even take census based on religion.

No politican will ever dare to reform this system, and this is their bread and butter. We need a strong visionary to lead us.
Maybe govt needs to bring in a new law called caste conversion. Here we talk about eradicating the caste system.. but kinda steps govt taking will only encourage this rotten system to flourish further. Even-though tone of your post sounds humorous.. therein lies the subconscious truth.

Well intelligent lady. She attained the wisdom much before me.

Nice Idea. Am going to patent this idea and go head with entrepreneurial venture. Any objections?

I think we shouldnt simply degrade our governments noble intentions. They are daring to bring national integration in a fortnight.
HAHA... just for kicks maybe... make a fake profile with a beautiful photo and good qualification but do highlight that you are an SC gal... count the no of offers from Higher caste guys ( or the other way around )

U will be amazed by the no of offers :lol:

What I was saying that why not Manmohan and upper cast ministers leave the place for SC/ST candidates and let them be PM, Defense minister, Finance minister etc that will set an example of "Studipity" which we need to follow.

Of course. A lot of the society still considers caste to be of some value, but I guess the majority follow caste as a means of tradition than as a means to discriminate against someone. So if we remove it now, it may not go down so well with people TODAY. But in about 50 years time it should be Okay. Just like in the US back in 1967 when they did away with racial segregation laws (including ones that forbade white and black people from marrying :S), which were many times more harsh than the present caste system that we have today, a lot of people didnt like it and protested. But today its not there so much as it used to be. Plus modifying the education system to inculcate in kids the social evils of caste system and the NEED to eradicate such a system might also help ^^

What you said is true but who will get rid of this and make hard decisions??? All political parties want to keep this caste/religious system the way it is as this benefits them and suits their agenda of dividing people.

those who have taken advantage of reservation will keep on doing so ! baba sahab ambedkar did not want the reservation to go this way . but the truth is each and every one of us is a human being and would not look a gift horse in mouth . there was a time when we stood against reservation and did protests and all , thinking that it would sway the politicians or our brothers in reserved classes ( how naive , i know) . the truth stares in face today - that it is all for benefit and every man is greedy enough .

those who get selected by reservation even if having the capabilty , do not work and do not try to learn . i am a doctor and i have seen how most sc/st learn - they do not ! they just get in medical and then in booze and girls . studies are no matter to them . nobody can fail them , cause if somebody does , they beat him up or damage his property . then they get through pre pg through reservation and VOILA you have a highly dangerous doctor there who will kill more than he will save . and when you go to a doctor you realize you have no way of knowing whether the guy is under reservation (even the names are same now) . :bad:

SC/ST promotion quota verdict under Supreme Court lens
The Supreme Court on Wednesday decided to examine if there was a need to reconsider its decade-old constitution bench judgment making it virtually impossible for the Centre and states to provide reservation in promotion for SCs and STs in government employment.

Within 24 hours of a two-judge bench making a reference on the need for reconsideration of the 2006 judgment in M Nagaraj case to Chief Justice Dipak Misra under Article 145(3) of the Constitution, a three-judge bench of the CJI and Justices A K Sikri and Ashok Bhushan agreed to place the matter before a five-judge bench to examine the bunch of petitions filed by some states and SC/ST employees' associations.

Reconsideration of the five-judge bench judgment in Nagaraj case was sought mainly on the ground that the SC had erred by seeking test of backwardness before grant of reservation in promotion. On Tuesday, a bench of Justices Kurian Joseph and R Banumathi had said in its referral order, "Petitioners have argued for a relook of Nagaraj specifically on the ground that test of backwardness ought not to be applied to SCs/STs.

"Apart from the clamour for revisit, further questions were raised about application of the principle of creamy layer (which was applied only to OBC quota by Indra Sawhney-Mandal judgment) in situations of competing claims within the same races, communities, groups and parts thereof of SC/ST notified by the President under Articles 341 and 342 of the Constitution of India."

The three-judge bench headed by the CJI said it was not going into the procedural irregularity alleged by counsel in a two-judge bench referring the matter directly to a five-judge bench. The bench said it was acceding to the two-judge bench's request and a five-judge bench would examine these petitions on the narrow ambit — "whether Nagaraj requires reconsideration".

A five-judge bench in 2006 had laid down stiff conditions for governments to provide reservation in promotion to SC/ST communities under Articles 16 (4A) and 16 (4B). Article 16 (4B) provided accelerated promotion to SC/ST employees on roster point system, which could give six-year advantage to such employees to reach top positions in departments compared to general category employees.

The Nagaraj judgment said, "In this regard, the concerned state will have to show in each case the existence of the compelling reasons, namely backwardness, inadequacy of representation and overall administrative efficiency, before making provision for reservation.

"The impugned provision [Articles 16 (4A)] is an enabling provision. The state is not bound to make reservation for SC/ST in matter of promotions. However, if they wish to exercise their discretion and make such provision, the state has to collect quantifiable data showing backwardness of the class and inadequacy of representation of that class in public employment in addition to compliance of Article 335. It is made clear that even if the state has compelling reasons, as stated above, the state will have to see that its reservation provision does not lead to excessiveness so as to breach the ceiling limit of 50% or obliterate the creamy layer or extend the reservation indefinitely."

Till date, no state government or the Centre has neither collected "quantifiable data showing backwardness of the class and inadequacy of representation of that class in public employment" nor carried out any survey to find out whether efficiency was compromised through such reservations. Governments have been intending to carry forward vacancies for backward classes to the next year.

CJI tames lawyers who habitually argue in high voices

Many lawyers habitually use lung power to get heard in contentious matters where either the stakes are high or the issue is highly political. On Wednesday, Chief Justice Dipak Misra issued a stern warning to lawyers belonging to this category during arguments in the Nagaraj case.

When a bench headed by the CJI decided to place the issue before a five-judge bench and wanted to allocate argument time for counsel from opposite sides, there was a din as lawyers competed with each other to seek time for themselves.

When the bench was in the midst of sorting this out after allocating one hour to attorney general K K Venugopal, a loud voice rang out and the CJI took strong exception to it. "The courtroom is not the place for you to show your guts to shout at judges. Show your guts elsewhere. No one is permitted to raise his/her voice inside the courtroom, be it senior or junior counsel." The lawyer apologised immediately.
https://m.timesofindia.com/india/sc...r-supreme-court-lens/articleshow/61665683.cms

Back
Top Bottom