What's new

Requesting Supreme Court to Convert Warship Vikrant to permanent Maritime Museum!

Reviewer21

Reaction score
Country
India
We've been criticizing a lot on decision to scrap INS Vikrant instead of converting it into a Maritime Museum for Educational Purpose and for many other purpose. So it's about time we all raise our voice and intertwine them and make it so loud that it reaches to SC and it orders our deaf govt. to make it a Maritime Museum. Please sign this petition and encourage your friends to do the same.

Petition created by Anand Kharde.

http://www.change.org/en-IN/petitio...-warship-vikrant-to-permanent-maritime-museum

@chak de INDIA @levina @Sidak @Srinivas @Dem!god @he-man and @others

Last edited:
We've been criticizing a lot on decision to scrap INS Vikrant instead of converting it into a Maritime Museum for Educational Purpose and for many other purpose. So it's about time we all raise our voice and intertwine them and make it so loud that it reaches to SC and it orders our deaf govt. to make it a Maritime Museum. Please sign this petition and encourage your friends to do the same.

http://www.change.org/en-IN/petitio...-warship-vikrant-to-permanent-maritime-museum

@chak de INDIA @levina @Sidak @Srinivas @Dem!god @he-man
AFAIK High court already adviced Govt of Maharastra on that.
Only asviced no ORDER. Same thing will happen in SC.
Still good Luck :tup: hope this will work.

Is it profitable? AFAIK it isnt, considering the amount of repairs and safety regulations. No private company is ready to buy her either.

The Indian military is not swimming in money, if its not profitable and no one wants to buy it, it should be scrapped.

gr8...
signed the petition......:tup:

Signed the petition. :-)
I hope my voice is heard and that the majestic class carrier is saved.

signed :)

@chak de INDIA @levina @Sidak @Srinivas @Dem!god @he-man and @others

I couldn't sign this petition as there are too many unanswered questions mostly notably- who will pay for the conversion to a museum and the subsequent upkeep? The INS Vikrant is in this position now because the MoD (rightly) said they couldn't justify such significant outlay on something that has zero military utility to India today. The MoD should NOT be made to cover these costs, there are far better uses for the MoD's budget.

If the Museums ministry in India is willing to pay for such costs then I would happily sign this petition but I don't see it.

A nagging question I have is why have no private entities stepped foreword and taken the burden of this carrier/museum themselves? Is it possible such pvt entities have analysed the work that would needed to be done and found it an unviable proposition?

From a social standpoint there is justification for the GoI to keep the ship as a museum but the funds for this must not come from the current day military budget- that would be very wrong and a misuse of such funds.

funds for this must not come from the current day military budget- that would be very wrong and a misuse of such funds.

This.

"the project estimate in 2010 was Rs 500 crore with Rs 350 crore required alone for recreating its base. The costs would now have escalated."

And that was only an 'estimated' figure. We specialize in cost overruns. Very sensible decision by the government, unless a private enterprise steps in.

I couldn't sign this petition as there are too many unanswered questions mostly notably- who will pay for the conversion to a museum and the subsequent upkeep? The INS Vikrant is in this position now because the MoD (rightly) said they couldn't justify such significant outlay on something that has zero military utility to India today. The MoD should NOT be made to cover these costs, there are far better uses for the MoD's budget.

If the Museums ministry in India is willing to pay for such costs then I would happily sign this petition but I don't see it.

A nagging question I have is why have no private entities stepped foreword and taken the burden of this carrier/museum themselves? Is it possible such pvt entities have analysed the work that would needed to be done and found it an unviable proposition?

From a social standpoint there is justification for the GoI to keep the ship as a museum but the funds for this must not come from the current day military budget- that would be very wrong and a misuse of such funds.

All of that is valid.

OTOH, maybe the ship can be preserved instead of erecting some gargantuan statues of Sardar Patel and Shivaji in the middle of some river or sea.
People need to think about all that.

As far as I'm concerned; I will have some memories of her anyway, including some times spent in her ward-room.

judicial courts have no business in making such decisions

And they will not, either.

OTOH, maybe the ship can be preserved instead of erecting some gargantuan statues of Sardar Patel and Shivaji in the middle of some river or sea.
People need to think about all that.
Of course, there is no doubt Indians have to question the priorities of their federal and state governments, you have the likes of Maywati erecting hundreds of statues of herself, this Sardar Patal business and such but such a valuable piece of India's history is on the brink of being lost forever.

All I am saying is that in no way should the MoD's budget be used to convert and maintain this vessel as a museum- this isn't what the defence outlay is for. There is obviously funds the Central or even state govt can pay for such things no doubt about that, but it shouldn't be on the Indian Mil to stump up the cash for something of zero military utility to the nation.

I for one would utterly love this ship to be preserved and converted into a museum and would certainly pay her a visit sometime in the future if that were to take place. It would be a shame for such a fine piece of India's military history to go waste like this.

Back
Top Bottom