What's new

Requesting Supreme Court to Convert Warship Vikrant to permanent Maritime Museum!

All of that is valid.

OTOH, maybe the ship can be preserved instead of erecting some gargantuan statues of Sardar Patel and Shivaji in the middle of some river or sea.
People need to think about all that.

As far as I'm concerned; I will have some memories of her anyway, including some times spent in her ward-room.

And they will not, either.
Ex-INS Vikrant doesnt have a vote bank. So preservation wont yeild any political gain. Its a shame historical monument will go down the hammer.

We've been criticizing a lot on decision to scrap INS Vikrant instead of converting it into a Maritime Museum for Educational Purpose and for many other purpose. So it's about time we all raise our voice and intertwine them and make it so loud that it reaches to SC and it orders our deaf govt. to make it a Maritime Museum. Please sign this petition and encourage your friends to do the same.

Petition created by Anand Kharde.

http://www.change.org/en-IN/petitio...-warship-vikrant-to-permanent-maritime-museum

@chak de INDIA @levina @Sidak @Srinivas @Dem!god @he-man and @others

Signed :)

We've been criticizing a lot on decision to scrap INS Vikrant instead of converting it into a Maritime Museum for Educational Purpose and for many other purpose. So it's about time we all raise our voice and intertwine them and make it so loud that it reaches to SC and it orders our deaf govt. to make it a Maritime Museum. Please sign this petition and encourage your friends to do the same.

Petition created by Anand Kharde.

http://www.change.org/en-IN/petitio...-warship-vikrant-to-permanent-maritime-museum

@chak de INDIA @levina @Sidak @Srinivas @Dem!god @he-man and @others

Signed.:tup:

I couldn't sign this petition as there are too many unanswered questions mostly notably- who will pay for the conversion to a museum and the subsequent upkeep? The INS Vikrant is in this position now because the MoD (rightly) said they couldn't justify such significant outlay on something that has zero military utility to India today. The MoD should NOT be made to cover these costs, there are far better uses for the MoD's budget.

If the Museums ministry in India is willing to pay for such costs then I would happily sign this petition but I don't see it.

A nagging question I have is why have no private entities stepped foreword and taken the burden of this carrier/museum themselves? Is it possible such pvt entities have analysed the work that would needed to be done and found it an unviable proposition?

From a social standpoint there is justification for the GoI to keep the ship as a museum but the funds for this must not come from the current day military budget- that would be very wrong and a misuse of such funds.
What about PPP(Public Private Partnership)? That would be great. And it's one time expenditure right?

And 10 yrs ago when i went to Vizag, i saw they've preserved and made a Sub as a Museum which was very amazing that was my first time ever a tour inside a sub. I guess the same should be done with INS Vikrant. And what i don't understand is that what is it that will cost a huge amount worth Rs. 500cr in it, i mean it's not like Vikrant is damaged or anything like that. So what's the cause of the expenditure, i thought all they have to do is take the ship to shore and place it there itself and setup security.

Ex-INS Vikrant doesnt have a vote bank. So preservation wont yeild any political gain. Its a shame historical monument will go down the hammer.
That's indeed the reason why nobody is concerned about it.

Last edited:
What about PPP(Public Private Partnership)? That would be great.
This would be good as long as the Public entity wasn't the MoD.

And it's one time expenditure right?
Nope, you have the cost of maintaining it throughout its life span.

And what i don't understand is that what is it that will cost a huge amount worth Rs. 500cr in it, i mean it's not like Vikrant is damaged or anything like that. So what's the cause of the expenditure, i thought all they have to do is take the ship to shore and place it there itself and setup security.
Well right now this is an aged MILITARY piece of kit. It is going to take a considerable amount of time and money to convert it into a Museum that was safe for the general public to visit. It's not as simple as moving it to shore (even though i personally think it would be better to keep her afloat somewhere- like HMS BELFAST) and setting up security.

Well right now this is an aged MILITARY piece of kit. It is going to take a considerable amount of time and money to convert it into a Museum that was safe for the general public to visit. It's not as simple as moving it to shore (even though i personally think it would be better to keep her afloat somewhere- like HMS BELFAST) and setting up security.

Iowa class battleships are preserved. We can't keep this one floating even? Congress want's to break country's morale. Unfortunately they will end up worse than mutton in butcher shop on May 16,2014.

:tup:

Well That wouldn't cost in crores, right?

Well right now this is an aged MILITARY piece of kit.
INS Vikrant?

even though i personally think it would be better to keep her afloat somewhere- like HMS BELFAST
Will it cost less as compared to placing it ashore?

Wish Companies like TATA, Mahindra, Reliance etc help us :(

Back
Top Bottom