What's new

Reports of Tentative Truce, Amnesty for Militants as Pakistan Negotiates with Outlawed TTP

Imran Khan is a clown. Yes

Bajwa is a huge downgrade as compared to Raheel Sharif . Yes

But this is also a fact that Pakistan can't continue to fight a war infinitely on its western border

It needs to shift its war power that is busy on the western front to eastern front in coming years. For that either Pakistan ends the insurgency militarily. Or it can do a truce that would give it a relief that it needs. I don't see former option happening under leadership of Imran and Bajwa. So I support this truce since it is the only option we have for now

Pakistani eastern borders are safer than ever in Pakistan's history with Pakistan's much enhanced defense capabilities since 9/11 and with China breathing down India's neck for the last few years; I bet China also provides deep, round the clock intelligence/satellite coverage to Pakistan about Indian moves to Pakistan now.
But, yes, take emotional issues aside: Give peace another try. TTP is a beaten dog and that reality they should know by now, especially with the changed situation in Afghanistan. If TTP still overplays its card then the Afghan Taliban will find it extremely hard to provide any support to the TTP. This offer of truce should be seen in the context of recent events in Afghanistan. This is more like: Take it or leave it.

Back
Top Bottom